My firsr gen career review + outlook to new career

Matt_O

I joined this league in November of 2018, where I was just a new guy in sim leagues. I had a very solid VHLM career with two cup wins, including a 90 point season for the Aces in S64. I frequently looked out for jobs in the league but didn't get anything until VSN put out an application. I thought this would be perfect for me since I liked writing and I thought I was pretty good at it, and I was hired. I focused a lot on VHL history in my time with VSN that spanned about 8 months, and I was there for all the highs and lows they faced. The shift from dil to shawn, and then shawn to bana and frost, who are doing a tremendous job.  Being apart of VSN for so long is probably what I'm most proud of for the year long tenure I was around for. I was drafted to New York in the S64 draft and I would like to believe I was a steal, as my activity was strong and I entered the top 10 TPE earners for my draft class despite being drafted 18th and joining much later than everyone else.  In my first year in the VHL, we made the wildcard but were quickly dispatched by Helsinki, and my first season wasn't so great. However, the biggest change in my career happened that off season. I was left unprotected in the expansion draft and taken by the Malmo Nighthawks. I was, at first, upset about this, I wanted to stay in New York. But I quickly came around to love Malmo, and they were my home for many years and I would have retired with them most likely. That team was the absolute best, and it's a shame we couldn't win a cup during our peak years.

I don't have many regrets with my first player, the only thing I maybe regret is not waiting like three extra days for the trade deadline because I could have been an S65 player and gotten a high draft position, much higher than where I was in S64. For my next player General Zod, I want to make a defensive defenseman that is physical, but eventually I want him to be able to make some plays if needed. For now, I'm focusing on defense in the early part of my career but not too much defense, I remember in Malmo @GustavMattias got defense to 99 way too early and it completely threw off his build for an entire season or two. I didn't want to sign with the first placed team to try to win an easy ring in my shortened VHLM season, but I still wanted to have a team with a chance to win it all while I also can get quality playing time. The two teams that fit that description seemed to be Ottawa and Houston, but I chose Houston since the Lynx never offered, and also I swore I would never play for Ottawa for some reason back in the day.

516 words

17 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

For now, I'm focusing on defense in the early part of my career but not too much defense, I remember in Malmo @GustavMattias got defense to 99 way too early and it completely threw off his build for an entire season or two.

I think I went up to 95 DF in my sophomore season or something, and didn't push it to 99 until my regression seasons. Won two Labatte Trophies with no attribute at 99, too.

18 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

The two teams that fit that description seemed to be Ottawa and Houston, but I chose Houston since the Lynx never offered, and also I swore I would never play for Ottawa for some reason back in the day.

Is it because Ottawa and Las Vegas were rivals, back in S62-S65, in the days of d_a and Jubo? Being an Ottawa alumni myself, I didn't really want to play for Vegas either. But I'm glad you joined Jubo, Dan, penny and I in Houston. Let's turn some heads in the playoffs!