Season 38 Entry Draft THE FINAL Mock Draft 1st Round

Mike

Sorry about the delay real life got in the way (lol rhyme).  Last week I skipped the rankings due to the recent lost of the Reign and I couldn't find the drive to do it.  Next week will start with the S39 Draft.  Also the trades that recently happened forced me to rewrite and rework what I had already done.  Fun fact only 1 pick stayed in the same spot.

qLXReQs.png

1st Overall Helsinki – D – Vojczek Svoboda

Helsinki’s strongest assets are currently on the defensive front.  However when your cupboards are bare you take the best you can get to create a meaningful impact for now and later.  Svoboda has strong ties to the Calgary organization but has expressed interest for making a name for himself and stepping out from that shadow.  Helsinki needs someone to help lead this team and coming here would create buzz for the franchise and give Svodoba a chance to take superstar status by the balls since he will be a main reason if they succeed.

qA3LVOO.png

2nd Overall Seattle (Via CAL) – F – Bruno Wolf

In a recent trade we saw Seattle give up a second round draft pick to round out the roster in an attempt to possibly win this season.  However moments later the bears traded one of their brightest young stars to acquire the second overall pick.  The Seattle Bears know exactly who they want in this draft and Bruno Wolf won’t last more than the second pick.  He will be the compliment for winger Damon Tyrael for many seasons to come.  Bruno Wolf has continued to show the work ethic required to be a top draftee.  There is no doubt anywhere in the league about his talent but many question his mental toughness and attitude. 

qLXReQs.png

3rd Overall Helsinki (Via NYA) – F – Steve Tremblay

Out of left field up and coming GM of the Helsinki Titans “STZ” drafts the fastest rising star in this draft class Steve Tremblay with the third overall pick.  This draft unusually is defensive heavy with only 3 top end offensive prospects.  Winger Ashton Galbraith currently has higher ability but Tremblay has tremendous upside.  Helsinki would prefer to take Don Draper here but don’t need a third all-star defenseman.  The team needs a forward and if they don’t take Tremblay or Galbraith here I have to believe they trade down.  Also look to a potential surprise of Bruno Wolf at the first pick which would put Don Draper here at third.

ewqJmFW.png

4th Overall Cologne – D – Don Draper

If Tremblay is the league’s fastest growing star in this draft it’s only because Don Draper is no longer a hidden gem.  Draper very well could go third overall to Helsinki which would push Tremblay a bit down the draft as Dimothenis Vlasis would then go fourth to Cologne.  In any case Draper is currently my favorite draftee and Cologne would love this Christmas gift at four.  The team already has the goalie for the future and a good defensive core in place this will sure up their blueline for the next generation. 

ewqJmFW.png

5th Overall Cologne (Via QUE) – F – Ashton Galbraith

The former projected number one overall pick from certain points throughout the year falls all the way to fifth to Cologne?  Galbraith has undeniable talent and currently sits above some of the prospects ahead of him in this mock draft.  However “marshall_222” has not been bringing Jochen Walser like prospects into the VHL as of late.  We thought for sure Ashton was a can’t miss prospect but he has stumbled drastically in the weeks leading up to the draft.  Still a good pick but he no longer has that nice new car smell.  Leading up to the draft he has even said it could be weeks or longer before he returns to practice a possible injury we don’t know about?

IhclZ49.png

6th Overall Quebec (Via COL Via VAS) – G – Brock Waldron

Quebec under new leadership of Frank is in a weird situation.  The team has the possibility to go for one more playoff push if they choose.  It would likely require moving this pick away and even next season’s draft picks.  However if they try to run their current roster or even sell off to rebuild they will have a ton of picks coming in.  That leave’s this draft before a rebuild really starts as a luxury pick.  There are better picks available at six but Waldron has shown he could one day become a franchise goalie.  If Quebec can lock up their next goalie before heading into a rebuild the team will be the much better off.  The fact that Quebec moved down in the draft makes me think this is a real possibility.

qLXReQs.png

7th Overall Helsinki (Via SEA) – D – Dimothenis Vlasis

This is just a showcase of how many good defensemen have hit the VHL in recent seasons and how few offensive prospects are in this draft.  Vlasis could go as high as third but I think he falls to seven because of the rebuilding teams already having a solid defensive core.  If Vlasis goes early Draper could fall down to the seventh spot instead.  I just feel that Draper is getting ranked higher as a newer player to the league and has shown a crazy amount of work ethic.  In a normal draft where forwards reign supreme Vlassis would be a guaranteed top 3 pick with defenseman usually in demand.

ewqJmFW.png

8th Overall Cologne (Via RIG) – F – Chris Raymond

Raymond comes from the long standing “Kachur” player agency who has a lot of up and down history.  I believe the recent resurgence of the USFL could split Kachur’s focus and result in a lesser career for Raymond.  However as the fourth best forward prospect in the draft and even potentially third now with Galbraith falling this is a low risk high reward type of pick.  Cologne has three picks in a row here and Raymond will be one of them.

ewqJmFW.png

9th Overall Cologne (Via DAV) – F – Leo Tesla

Tesla came on pretty strong when he declared for the draft but has cooled down considerably in recent weeks.  He is repped by “Otrebor13” who did manage to bring a decent prospect in Roberto Martucci into the league.  He will take an extra season in the minors to get ready for the VHL which Cologne will be happy to work on.  I think he does someday make the VHL and will be a good depth player for the Express.

ewqJmFW.png

10th Overall Cologne (Via TOR) – F – Aaron Hartley

The ninth pick represents the last in good VHL level prospects.  At the tenth there are six or so meh players who at one point were actively practicing then suddenly disappeared.  Hartley represents one of those players who did practice in the last month or so and does have a bit of VHL history with past players.  I think with the right amount of persuasion and effort with two more seasons in the minors he stands a chance at one day making the VHL.

Good read Mike, interesting how all the picks changed after the trade. About Galbraith, if he kept up his updating and didnt slack off, he would easily be a top tier prospect.  I still think though he will be a great steal for any team that takes a chance on him. As to other guys, Waldron would be a great pick for Quebec but I am guessing Frank has already decided to go goalie. 

And good work Tremblay for climbing that high, any team would be lucky to add someone like yourself.

Bro I aint even in USFL now :P I am VHL all the way 

Funny thought that your TPE has been around 70-90 for a good month though.

Good read Mike, interesting how all the picks changed after the trade. About Galbraith, if he kept up his updating and didnt slack off, he would easily be a top tier prospect.  I still think though he will be a great steal for any team that takes a chance on him. As to other guys, Waldron would be a great pick for Quebec but I am guessing Frank has already decided to go goalie. 

And good work Tremblay for climbing that high, any team would be lucky to add someone like yourself.

Thanks! My guy isn't as talented as your's but you guys had one heck of a lead on me when I joinned, I tried to do what I could to bring up my TPE total, :P

Nice read Mike, was getting excited to see the final mock draft, you had us hanging for 2 days :P

• Admin

Vlasis at 7th definitely threw me off. Guess that's the issue with positions - I know I wouldn't want an overload on defensive prospects but no idea how Helsinki and Cologne feel about it. It would seem this order depends on them not taking two defencemen in a row to get better forwards. That'll probably be the most interesting part of the draft.

I got what 5/10 right going based on need and not Best Player Available.  After talking to STZ after I made this he said he has potential plans in place to have D switch to F which if I would have done the mock after that would have probably gotten me 7/10.