I Feel Like a Dick

Kyle

I just started a new job a couple weeks ago. Should add that my best friend helped me get it and put in a good word for me. Before getting this job, I applied for another job (which I originally wanted) before the one I’m at now. At the current job, I only get 24 hours a week, but I want 40 over the summer.. And there's no chance I can get that where I am currently working.. But the place that offered me the job is giving me 40.

The issue I'm having is that I feel like I am screwing over my friend by putting him in a negative light at the job. Also the fact that I do like my current job, I just finished training, and they are already short staffed. 

I took the job that offered my 40 hours a week, should I feel badly? I asked to start in about 16 days so I can properly turn in my 2 week notice.

Edited by Kyle

You have to do what's right for your goal. Yes your buddy might feel bad and maybe that company looks at him differently but if they are short staffed and still only giving you 24 hours, it speaks volumes. You've had jobs in the past, right?

You have to do what's right for your goal. Yes your buddy might feel bad and maybe that company looks at him differently but if they are short staffed and still only giving you 24 hours, it speaks volumes. You've had jobs in the past, right?

Currently, I work in a kitchen at a nun nursing home. What I do is I put together trays for them after the cook makes them, prepare their drinks, and deliver it to their rooms. It's a small kitchen with only about 3 people working at a time, so even when they're short staffed its near impossible to get 40 hours.

And yes I have. Grocery store cashier and landscaping.

Also, FWIW I asked to start this new job in about 16 days so I can properly put in my 2 weeks notice at my current job.

Edited by Kyle

What Mike said, don't forget that if times are tough for the company you are with right now they would let you go in a heartbeat to help the bottom line. It's business man!

This. Especially the heartbeat stuff.

I wouldn't feel guilty. Like lots of people already said, that's life. Businessmen understand, they would fuck you if they could. Leaving for more hours is not a bad reason to leave.