2014 CHL Memorial Cup

Higgins

2014MemorialCup.png

Host: London Knights

WHL: Edmonton Oil Kings

OHL: Guelph Storm

QMJHL: Val d'Or Foreurs

I'm pulling for Val d'Or because they are the QMJHL champs and knocked off the Mooseheads in a 7 game series :( The biggest factor in that was goaltending aka Antoine Bibeau.

51 save shutout last night for Bibeau and Mantha (obviously) scored to make it 1-0 Val d'Or over London.

• Admin

A barely relevant question: in my experience of the Memorial Cup, granted I haven't paid attention since 2010ish, the host is always a team which is actually quite good and can compete against league champions and win. But even in the playoffs of their own league it goes far. Was this just coincidence? Or do they pick the host during the season? Why are the hosts always a good team?

A barely relevant question: in my experience of the Memorial Cup, granted I haven't paid attention since 2010ish, the host is always a team which is actually quite good and can compete against league champions and win. But even in the playoffs of their own league it goes far. Was this just coincidence? Or do they pick the host during the season? Why are the hosts always a good team?

they pick the host like a year or two before I think. Like, when Moncton hosted it in 2006 we knew it was here for like a year or more before hand. Shawinigan lost in round 2 and ended up winning the whole thing which was super cool at home.

When Shawinigan hosted the memorial cup in 2012 they lost in the 2nd round of the Q playoffs that season and the one before.

They knew they were hosting and stacked their team through trades, which can be easily justified since they get in automatically. They won the Mem Cup that year as host so it worked.

Dunno how it's chosen probably apply when it's your leagues turn in the cycle and base it off success and organization. Quebec is 2015 host and they've been real good for awhile now.

The CHL cycles are actually what I use to compare the VHLM to.

Only difference is the host, but its exactly the same system which we all said. Its actually a good setup.

Guest Svoboda_3

Edmonton will come around. They will be better. The Q and O conduct the silliest of trades in order to load up. Like trades that involve 6 players and 8 picks. It's uber silly. The WHL is more reserved in that there are trades, but they aren't as big. Saskatoon just got fleeced like crazy in trades over the last 5 years.

Guest Svoboda_3

Sportsnet needs to just stop right now. You would never know that there's a WHL team playing in this game today. Enough with the London erection. Let I remind you Sportsnet of the team that didn't win their league.

Glad to see Edmonton with a better effort thus far.

Edmonton will come around. They will be better. The Q and O conduct the silliest of trades in order to load up. Like trades that involve 6 players and 8 picks. It's uber silly. The WHL is more reserved in that there are trades, but they aren't as big. Saskatoon just got fleeced like crazy in trades over the last 5 years.

and they haven't won a memorial cup since 2008 so there's something in that isn't there?

Guest Svoboda_3

Tristan Jarry got fucked by the WHL in the Goaltender of the Year voting. But nevertheless, he should be a Team Canada goaltender next season and like I've said before, Team Canada won't win a Gold medal until a WHL goaltender is in net.

My best friend played with Jarry for years and he said one thing multiple times, He would be good for a stretch but in super big games he always gives up a deflating goal or two. Now I haven't seen him play much this year or how true this is, but from ages 10-16ish he apparently wasn't really good with pressure.

Guest Svoboda_3

Tristan Jarry? That guy is with the Pens! Whatever team he is on, count me on their bandwagon for now

That would be the Edmonton Oil Kings.