End of Season Interview with Woody McPine

Woody McPine and the Minnesota Storm finished the VHLM regular season on fire, winning 16 games in a row before losing their last game to Yukon in a battle for 2nd place. We managed to get the young goaltender to sit down for an interview before the playoffs.

Question: You guys seemed unstoppable during that last stretch of the season, how will that help you in the playoffs?
Woody: We gained a lot of confidence during those games. We know we can beat any team that we face.

Q: You started the season a little rough, what turned it around for you?

W: I wasn't playing great, that's for sure. But I put the axe to the oak as they say, and worked my ass off to get to where the team needed me to be. After that, we all clicked and it was smooth sailing.

Q: Now that your first full regular season is in the books, what are you most proud of?

W: That's a tough one but I'd have to say helping the team into the playoffs or representing my country at the world juniors.

Q: Speaking of the juniors, can you tell us a bit about what that was like?

W: Oh it was amazing. We had a great team. Didn't get the result we wanted, but still managed to silence the doubters and win a nice bronze.

Q: You were also named the top goalie in the tournament. What does that mean to you?

W: It's a huge honor, but I couldn't have done it without my teammates.

Q: Tell us about the prize you gave the Americans.

W: (Laughs) Well after we beat them, I remember looking over at them while we were celebrating and they all looked so sad and I wanted to do something to cheer them up.

Q: Do you think it worked?

W: My Storm teammates, Robin Winter and Gavin Harris, had a good laugh about it so I hope the rest of the team did as well.

Q: Back to the VHLM. You finished with a record of 49-13-1, with 4 shutouts, a GAA of 2.9, and save % of 0.877. Those are much better numbers than your time with Vegas. What made the difference?

W: A lot of things really. Lots of practice is the main thing, as well as upping my off season training. Another big thing was the Vegas was in a rebuilding year so that, combined with my inexperience meant that there would be a lot of tough games.

Q: Both the Storm and Vegas made the playoffs, do you think you'll end up playing each other?

W: I hope so, it'd be fun to have a go at them.

Q: You guys have San Diego in the first round, any thoughts on that?

W: It should be a good series, they're a tough team.

Q: Woody, thanks for sitting down with us and best of luck in the post season.

W: Thank you, it was my pleasure.

woody mcpine.jpg