Is STHS actually bad?

Matt_O

I see people complain about STHS all the time, and sometimes it seems obvious why. Sometimes, the sims feel almost random, but I would say that most of the time the sims do a good job. Just because there is an upset doesn't mean it's random, because upsets always happen. If what happened in the NHL during last years playoffs (all wild cards won) happened on this site, there would be an uprising against STHS, when in reality it's not that bad. Just because your team was favored to win and lost doesn't mean the sim is broken.

STHS has been used for over 70 seasons, so it must be good. The only thing that isn't great about STHS is the way how they seemingly pick which players are stars in the league. You could two people with identical stats and one of them has 100 points and the other has 50. Kyson Blake had 88 points his rookie year, but then had a combined 107 points in his next four full seasons. Player stats sometimes seem sort of random, which is the only real problem, and it's not even all that much of a problem because generally the highest TPE guys are at the top of the points leaderboards. I don't think there is a problem with STHS. Are there better options out there? Probably, but obviously the sim engine is doing something right if it's been in use for over 70 seasons.

8 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

Just because your team was favored to win and lost doesn't mean the sim is broken.

STHS could use a bit of variety when it comes to player building and attributes, but:

:preach:

I hate seeing people complaining about upsets and saying that any outcome other than their team winning is unacceptable because their second-line center has 20 more TPE. The playoffs shouldn't always go exactly the way they're "supposed to." The standings shouldn't just be a list of the best teams by TPE. I don't stick around for 2 months only to find out that the highest-TPE team won the cup for the 50th season in a row. That's stupid.

33 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

STHS has been used for over 70 seasons, so it must be good

Not necessarily. The U.S. has had the Electoral College since 1836, for example.

The biggest issues I have with STHS is players with identical builds performing IMMENSELY differently and how there's really only one real meta build with some variations based on checking/faceoffs/strength.

• 11 months later...