Why I Should NOT Win the David Knight Trophy

Gustav

I've got a media spot claim for this week, I need 2 more TPE to hit the cap, and since I'm not giving @Berocka the satisfaction of seeing me answer his press conference questions, here we go with another article. Be warned--this is going to be another one of my infamous "this should really be a media spot but here it is" walls of text in the .com section.

The David Knight trophy! Awarded each season to the top GM of that season, as voted by the BoG (a group of fine people including myself! Our favorite activities involve smoking cigars in the living room, making condescending remarks while reading the daily paper, and figuring out how best to suck precious TPE from first-gens to feed our own collective life force while making occasional "how do you do, fellow kids?" posts to appease the masses) and mentioned in the seasonal awards thread--and eventually possibly used as very slight leverage in arguments for one's own chances at the Hall of Fame as a builder or in petty disputes on Discord over who's Top 1. Perhaps the most significant part of potentially winning the Knight is getting a little red season number next to your name in this thread right here. If I were to win the Knight this season, I'd be the first to get one of those little red numbers for Davos since @Gooningitup back in S50. 

I could be using this as a platform to argue for myself--but instead I'm using it to lay out the reasons why I will not be voting for myself to win the Knight this season. One could argue that this is better suited for the BoG award thread (and I'll link it there) but I figured I'd turn it into an article as it makes for an interesting topic and could possibly launch a bit of debate.

Note: I will not say anything here about who else is being considered, and I will also say nothing about current BoG opinions which pertain to my worthiness for the Knight. Those are best people secrets best left untouched unless I want to get branded with a photorealistic iron carving of @Beketov. And believe me, the best people don't mess around--that's only what we do for Strike One!

The Case For Me:

-I was the most exciting GM to watch this season, and probably by a long shot. I made a ton of trades. I lucked into three lotto picks this season, two of which were some of the last remnants of the Shawn era and one of which I got in a trade that looked awful at the time but which I ended up eventually winning. I had a ton of players and a ton of picks, and after a whole lot of moves--a bunch of trades, a couple signings, and even a couple position switches, I managed to put together a really solid roster on paper. Davos should have been the story of the season, and if things had gone the way the TPE suggested, I probably would not have had any reason to write this article and would be sitting there in the BoG thread arguing my own merits. But does "exciting" mean "good"?

The Case Against Me:

-It didn't really work. Davos managed to barely sneak into the playoffs and was even beaten in the standings by Moscow, the team who effectively gave me Jet Jaguar for a 1st. Stare down Riga in the first round, who we only beat 3 times or so in the regular season, and promptly get swept (which I blame on Berocka for no reason other than that I can do that). Sure, I was flashy, but that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work.

-I didn't serve the players as well as I would have liked to. I had 8 forwards and a lot of talent in one place. Having to plan around 8 people, all at the same time, led to just about everyone getting less ice time than they would have received had I been running lines with 6. That wasn't the only contributing factor--there were a couple other situations which negatively affected one player or another in particular--but the way I eventually had the team set up came at a cost. I will not get into specifics, but more than once I dealt with a player's frustration regarding how they were being used in our lines. While part of this is just a "well, that's life" situation, at least part of it is also my doing--and I don't think I did a "#1 GM" job in terms of working to keep everyone happy.

You ever watch Shark Tank?

For those reasons, I'm out.

42 minutes ago, twists said:

You really didn't need to write this you could have just linked to my Moscow v. Davos thread. 

el GIF

ricky gervais laughing GIF

Or NYA related stuff 

Spoiler

You done great though, Gus.

Edited by Banackock