The Other Guys: Volume 1

No, I’m unfortunately not talking about the Will Ferrell movie conveniently sharing the same name as this article. What I’m referring to are the players currently in the VHLM who may not be the superstars of their teams or leading their teams in scoring/points. I’m talking about those individuals on the ice that consistently benefit their team even though they may not score a lot or garnish their stats with a lot of assists. I’ve poured through quite a number of games over the past couple of days and looked at plays that happen during them as well as stat lines that show how valuable certain players are. So without further ado, here are a few of those players that I want to highlight.

1. Gabriel Johnson - D (81 TPE) @GeckoeyGecko

• Playing only on the 3rd Defensive pair for Houston, I am extremely impressed with Johnson’s +/- ratio of 10, which is 2nd overall for defensemen and 4th overall on Houston. And that’s only out of 11 games played. They may not have the offensive tenacity like some of their teammates, but they focus primarily on defense which has allowed them to support their team and help carry Houston to a high placement in the VHLM standings.

2. Angel Wachiure - LW (92 TPE) @inflastud

• While running only on the 3rd forward line as well as the 2nd power play and 2nd 3PK unit, Angel has put up an impressive 10 points in 11 games (5G, 5A). Although only 5th in points scored on the team, they average only 16.75 minutes compared to the 21-25 minutes or so of the top liners in Las Vegas. With that lower amount of playing time, Angel continues to contribute offensively when it really matters.

3. Eoin Byrne - D (118 TPE) @LatinViking

• Primarily playing on the 3rd and 4th line D pairing as well as PK work in both 4 player and 3 player formats, Byrne holds a 13 +/- ratio which is tied for 3rd best in Miami. Similar to Johnson, Byrne doesn’t hold the offensive production seen amongst his teammates but contributes considerably on defense. Also seen as a great locker room presence, Byrne is a valuable piece to a loaded Miami roster this season.

4. Riley Couture - C (78 TPE) @Riley_Couture

• The 2nd line, 2nd PK, and 2nd 4v4 center playing just under 20 minutes a game is producing a great number of assists for his team. Although they don’t have any goals yet this season with other players on the team accumulating more points, Couture has 8 assists which is tied for 2nd overall amongst all of the players on Saskatoon. Additionally, they have the second best +/- ratio of 8 on the team. They have proven themselves to be an important cog in the Saskatoon team this season, even with a lower playing time than the top players.

5. Michael Olson - G (85 TPE) @MSO94

• For a goalie, especially one just starting out earlier this month, Olson’s stats may not tell the full picture. They hold an 0.875 SV% and 5.56 GAA as their stat line. However, considering where Olson is playing, the picture begins to show their true colors. Mexico City sits 3rd to last in the VHLM this season. They don’t have a single defenseman that is not a bot on their roster. That porous defense has allowed 500 shots total on net in 11 games, of which Olson has faced 456 (avg. of 41.45 per game). Even with those aspects, somehow Olson has 1 shutout already and 3 wins under his belt. Considering the situation Mexico City is in, I am extremely impressed with some of Olson’s hidden stat lines so far.

So there you have it: 2 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie that I feel deserve some spotlight even if they aren’t the best on their respective teams at the moment. Without them, I feel that their VHLM teams would be suffering a little bit more considering these players’ impacts. I hope to do this again a few times this season, especially to highlight some newer players that join later this season!

—————

Although this is considerably longer than the word requirement for a VHL.com article, I’ve already put up a graphic for this week and am in the midst of moving across the USA, plus I really wanted to get this idea done. ??‍♂️

Review: Excellent article. The layout, punctuation and structure of the article is on point. The individual break down shows you did your homework as you have actual stats to back up your claims. The idea of shining light on to players who aren’t usually in the spotlight is a great idea as they are just as important to any roster. Keep up the great work. Rating: 9/10