Greatest Swedish Players of the Portal Era Pt. 2

SirRupertBarnes

Welcome back to Part 2 of the Greatest Swedish Players of the Portal Era. Last time we had some pretty good names up there, so let’s see what Part 2 has to offer! If you didn’t get a chance to check out part 1 you can click here -> {insert link here} <-

Now with that out of the way let’s get into it!

F - Henrik Zoiderberg 806 TPE  (@HenrikZoiderberg)
First up for part 2 we have Henrik Zoiderberg. Zoiderberg has just finished his 7th season in the VHL. So far in his career he’s been able to record 189 goals and 212 assists for 401 points in 504 games played along with over 900 career hits. Although he may not be the flashiest player of all time he gets the job done and knows how to grind to get the job done. Having been right around a point-per-game in the last three seasons he’s really picked up his performance as of late to put himself on this list. He’s been able to get back-to-back cups in S68 & S69 with the Seattle Bears. We’ll have to wait and see how his final season goes but he remains as one of the greatest players in the VHL from Sweden in the modern era.

D - Mats Johnsson 1674 TPE  (@Quik)
Up next we have the legendary Swedish defender Mats Johnsson. Johnsson had a fantastic career in the VHL recording 134 goals, 469 assists, 1046 shots blocked, and 984 hits in 576 games. Through the years he was a two-time Jake Wylde Trophy winner for leagues best defensive defenseman, Alexander Valiq Trophy winner for top offensive defenseman, along with a Sterling Labatte Trophy for league’s top defenseman. Along with all the individual trophies he was able to capture a Continental Cup in S62 with the Calgary Wranglers. He was able to get all of those trophies in just a 3 year span of his career as well. After hanging up the skates following the S64 season, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in S66. A pretty solid career and a generational talent from Sweden that we likely won’t see again for quite a while.

G - Torstein Ironside 730 TPA (Unknown)
Now we move onto the goalie of this list, Torstein Ironside. In his seven season career from S54-S60 he put up a 225-138-38 record along with a career .925SV%, 2.18GAA and 57 shutouts. Although he was never able to get much playoff success he did win the Aidan Shaw Trophy in S58 with the Toronto Legion for the league’s top goaltender. In S59 he posted a 46-14-4 record which helped Toronto take home the Victory Cup which is awarded to the team with the best regular season record. In that season he had a .927SV%, 2.18GAA, and 9 shutouts. Overall he had a great career and will be remembered as one of the best goalies to ever come out of Sweden.

Today we have an honourable mention who I felt was too good to not be mentioned.

F - Patrik Tallinder 1024 TPE  (@Patrik Tallinder)
Although Tallinder is on paper one of the best players he just hasn’t played long enough to be considered one of the greats yet. He has however recorded 115 goals and 135 assists for 250 points in 288 career games in which he posted 99 of those points this last season. He’s even won a Continental Cup in his first four seasons in the league. Over time he definitely has the potential to be on this list and knock someone off but for now he just hasn’t had the time to develop into his full potential. If I did this list in 2-3 seasons he would for sure be on beyond and honourable mention.

That’s all we have for today. Thanks for taking the time to read this article and I look forward to making more of these in the future. Let me know what country you think I should do next down below.

Edited by SirRupertBarnes

On 9/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, SirRupertBarnes said:

G - Torstein Ironside 730 TPA (Unknown)

Now we move onto the goalie of this list, Torstein Ironside. In his seven season career from S54-S60 he put up a 225-138-38 record along with a career .925SV%, 2.18GAA and 57 shutouts. Although he was never able to get much playoff success he did win the Aidan Shaw Trophy in S58 with the Toronto Legion for the league’s top goaltender. In S59 he posted a 46-14-4 record which helped Toronto take home the Victory Cup which is awarded to the team with the best regular season record. In that season he had a .927SV%, 2.18GAA, and 9 shutouts. Overall he had a great career and will be remembered as one of the best goalies to ever come out of Sweden.

5 hours ago, Esso2264 said:

thats probably @DollarAndADream 

Sure is!

Also had over 1000 TPE. That TPA was what he was at on retirement. Here's his player page on the site that has him over 1000. Back when we still had the player pages on the forum.

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Sure is!

Also had over 1000 TPE. That TPA was what he was at on retirement. Here's his player page on the site that has him over 1000. Back when we still had the player pages on the forum.

I was just basing it off the information on the portal because I find it the easiest to navigate. That’s pretty cool though, congrats on the great career!