The STZ Agency Dream Team

STZ

Unassisted - Ethan Osborne - Benny Graves

Jake Wylde - Bryce Zhields

Rhett DeGrath

Forwards:

These are probably three of my favorite players I have created, all for different reasons. Osborne was my first ever player, it’s when I fell in love with this league. I can still remember vividly all of the moments I had with him. All my firsts in the VHLM, and when the hype started being built. Higgins ended up going off the board in selecting Osborne first overall, and at the time it was the first time a first generation player was selected in that spot. As Osborne, I always envisioned staying in Helsinki for my entire time in the VHL. After Osborne retired I became GM there, and fully expected to stay even after my GM Player had retired. Unassisted was the first time I explored Free Agency and chased cups and individual achievements. I think he’s still top 5 in all time scoring, and he really put up some insane numbers. I got to play with a number of members I really wanted to, and ended up finding a great home in NY, where I would then enjoy enough to start GMing. Graves is my comeback player. I’ve really enjoyed him, as I re-enter the league in this new era of the VHL. I think it’s been my redeemer after a couple of lackluster players.

Performance Analysis: I think this line would be nasty. Osborne was a playmaking center who was a gritty two way player, great hockey sense, and strong leadership. He was undersized, but could move around the ice. Unassisted was a sniper who also had speed. He also was a center but played on the wing at times. I could see Osborne setting him up on a nightly basis. Graves is a very good addition to this line as he is a goal scorer with playmaking abilities. He has that physical edge to his game that the others don’t. I see him being the player that goes into the dirty ares to fetch the puck - but he also can’t be ignored as he can put up huge numbers.

Defense:

This one I did have to cheat. Zhields was a winger, but I’ve only created one defenseman so he will be put on the back end for this purpose. Zhields was created with the same build in mind that I have for Graves - a stocky, hard hitting, two way forward. I think you can see his build is trending that way, before I had to step away from the league because I was busy with work. In theory, he would have been good as a position switch, and his height and weight also would have made for a dynamic defensive partner. My one true defenseman I created was my GM Player in Helsinki, Jake Wylde. Wylde had a remarkable career, not only being a dominant force and racking up a huge hit total but also putting up points.

Performance Analysis: I think you could pair almost any player alongside Wylde and they would be effective. I think Wylde provides some steady defensive support, with the ability to move the puck up to a dominant forward line. Zhields will have the size and skating ability to be a presence, but is definitely the weak-point in this lineup.

Goaltending:

Rhett DeGrath would be the starter here, with an honourable mention to the back-up goalie Ike Arkander. Like most of their time together in NY, they would be the 1-2 punch combo on this team. DeGrath has a history of outstanding play and putting a team on his back. It’s a no-brainer as he was my best goalie and actually a fan favorite for many all-time lists. I really enjoyed my time with him, it was during Project Player 2, so I made history as the first ever PP2 player to go into the HOF. I enjoyed building the goalie, but it was a bit boring after a while as you only have so many stats to fill. It is more about your team, and how they are built that makes the goalie player archetype fun.

Performance Analysis: Rhett DeGrath is a dominant goalie that can take over any game. If Zhields on the back-end is the one weakness in this line-up, DeGrath more than makes up for his short-comings. Arkander would be the morale support on the bench as he was so many seasons with DeGrath in New York.

Overall:

I think this team is pretty solid, I would put it up against any other member team. I guess it’s a weird flex, but it’s all I got. I’ve enjoyed my time creating players in the VHL and I’ve made a wide variety of players that have been successful in many different positions. My first four players I had all went to the Hall of Fame, and I might have had a decent shot with Arkander and Zhields had I not left the league during their tenure. All in all, this was fun to look back on - maybe this gives motivation to other members who want to look back on their players.