BOG Update - October 19th-25th

Advantage

BOG UPDATE

Week of October 19th-25th

Hello everyone, for the last couple of weeks I had held off on bringing you a BOG Update as discussion was either in the infant stage on some of the items, or was not happening as much.  However, now that we have entered into the playoffs, the Board of Governors has really picked up on its activity with VHL Awards now being voted on and the Hall of Fame Discussion also going on.  However, that is not the only topics being discussed as we have had three different threads make some headway in the last week or so.  These discussions center around the trade deadline, a potential VHLM Exhibition series and also potentially Play by Play presentations.  Additionally, I would like to reiterate that the recent decision made by the Blue Team to limit some of the functionality of discord in order to try and bring more activity to the forums will not be discussed in this, as despite being a very hot topic right now, it was never brought up in the Board of Governors.

To start lets look at the recent discussions around the Trade Deadline.  The focus of the conversation has been on bringing the hype back to the Trade Deadline, just like we see in the real National Hockey League.  Obviously, there are some challenges with this as it is difficult to all be on at the same time, but the idea of making the event a little bit more of a spectacle seems to be the main focus.  Some of the main ideas that came from the thread creator included an extra cap reduction day of deadline, where cap hits can be reduced by lets say ten percent to motivate more trades to happen, while the other idea was having a VSN account post trade rumors and such.  Even if the rumors are perhaps fabricated, it could bring some more ideas, but if the GM's cooperate and drop some real rumors here and there, it could be a rather interesting idea (could even incorporate Twitter with it).  There was a lot of support for both of these ideas, especially considering people could really have fun with the Twitter side of things and make their own fake accounts and tweet stuff they hear towards the VSN account.  These ideas do seem to be coming to fruition with only a couple of people being concerned that the 10% retaining may cause a bit of a firesale.  So look for this next Trade Deadline, as I expect there may be some legitimate hype centering around the deadline.

The second discussion we had centers around a VHLM Exhibition series with the four teams that miss the playoffs, not unlike the VHL Lottery Tournament.  Now my understanding was that this wouldn't necessarily have an impact on the lottery, but would rather allow newer members to continue being able to watch their player and avoid a lot of time where there is nothing to pay attention to (often leading to new members ghosting).  The person that brought it up also suggested maybe a very light TPE reward (1-3 TPE) as well, depending on performance.  Some of the replies showed a support for the Exhibition series but not for the TPE reward as it would be an advantage individually for those who missed the playoffs.  There has also been some support for just bringing the VHLM Lottery Tournament in as it has been successful in the VHL as well.  This is an ongoing discussions so expect future updates for sure.

Finally, lets discuss the Play by play presentations which has actually been an off and on discussion since May, but has really garnered more attention especially with the league looking to bring more discussion to the site.  Biggest citing seems to be centered around how well EFL and SBA do with PBP discussions and that VHL is missing an opportunity here.  Some of the arguments against it focus on the fact that hockey sims aren't quite as exciting as basketball or even football.  I should also include that the PBP presentations would be more for playoffs or finals and not on an every game basis (though you could do a couple game of the week's as well).  A point was also made that if we do this for playoffs/finals, the sims no longer can be live which could bring some distrust back with some members in the league.  There are still some discussions surrounding the logistics of it and potentially using it just for elimination games or even just game 7's, but I could see this being potentially ran on a trial basis if those logistics are figured out.  This is also an ongoing discussion so there will likely be some future updates.

I'd love to try to do a podcast version of the PBP, almost like a live commentary. Would remove a bit of the dullness of copying straight from the PBP, and could be a live reading of the scores before they're posted. Basically, Bek would sim games at a set time, and pick one to be "broadcasted," which I could do in a VC while recording it. Once it's over, the games could be posted. Then again, it'd be a VC on Discord and not on site, which I guess doesn't really hit the goal of getting more people on forums, but would generate a bit more hype for sims.