BOG Update - November 2nd to 8th

Advantage

BOG UPDATE - NOVEMBER 2ND-8TH

Hello everyone, this week's look at the interior happenings of the Board of Governors will center around a few different topics that have been on the books, to go along with our awards and Hall of Fame discussion.  The discussion has centered around Play by play presentation and a bunch of WC/WJC Ideas to help include more in these tournaments.

However, first I want to address how often I will be doing this.  After discussions with our new VSN Supreme Leader, Mr. Hatter, these articles will continue to be posted on an every-other-week basis.  Additionally, I will be presenting another series for the other weeks where there isn't a BOG Update.  This will allow more discussion in the BOG as some weeks can be rather slow and not provide for much to talk about.  Therefore, look for my other series that will start next week and will also be presented on a bi-weekly basis.  Now, lets get to the analysis.

One of the topics that is a continuation of the last edition of my review is the ongoing discussion of PBP Presentations.  As I was talking about before, it did seem that we were getting close to a potential trial of this, as while most did not want to make a dramatic change right away, I think the majority of the BOG was at least intrigued enough to have a discussion about it being tried out.  Since then we have said that perhaps in a Game Seven (or Game Five in a wildcard round) or perhaps even in a tournament game, we could try this out and see if people enjoy it.  It would potentially bring some discussion to the board but it could also result in being a lot of work for no significant payoff.  The proposal is out there on a trial basis and the stance by a few different members seems to be that if there is enough support for it, then lets try it out but those members who responded did not seem very invested in the concept.

Finally, one of the newer topics being discussed is a way to promote more inclusion in the WC/WJC now that the WJC has been moved to the off-season.  Ultimately the idea centers around the point that we don't want to have a lot of people going through downtime, so if we can get as many involved as possible, it would give everyone something to pay attention to through the off-season.  One of the ideas I personally loved by the person that posted it was expanding on the country list on the portal where when you choose your country, a drop-down list can tell you how many active players are created for each country.  This could help spread the talent out and make a more competitive international scene.  If we do this perhaps we can return to actually having a Swedish or Finnish team given how many more active players we now have in the league.  Another brought up the idea of maybe a dual-citizenship where you have a primary choice and a secondary choice for national teams that you can play for.  Some don't agree with bringing back a bunch of individual countries though as one of the issues we used to have was Canada and USA dominating the tournament, which doesn't happen as much anymore with less international teams to spread out the talent.  This topic though is certainly ongoing and I'm very curious to see what happens.

There was another discussion that I will be able to touch on more in the next discussion, but for now I will hold off on as the discussions are just starting out and there isn't really anything of substance yet.  Other than that though, that is your BOG Update for this week.  As per usual, the off-season is usually centered around awards and Hall of Fame, while a lot of the substantial discussion happens more throughout the season.

I love the idea for the WJC with the dual citizen and drop down box. However, I don't see how this can help teams like Asia and World that are constantly picking up leftovers. I don't think the people creating a player care about how many are already in the league, the same scenario as the positions. 

Just showing the country by itself doesn't help much for something like Europe.  You might see that there are 0 players from Luxembourg but between the others in Europe there are tons.  Not that I'm against adding this info.  Seeing how represented a place is might inspire people to pick odd ball places for giggles.

1 hour ago, Garsh said:

Just showing the country by itself doesn't help much for something like Europe.  You might see that there are 0 players from Luxembourg but between the others in Europe there are tons.  Not that I'm against adding this info.  Seeing how represented a place is might inspire people to pick odd ball places for giggles.

I think the idea is to do it in conjunction with the idea of splitting up Scandinavia, Europe, etc into individual countries like it used to be.

The PBP thing seems really interesting. I remember looking at the ways games were simmed when I first joined and being severely disappointed, almost to the point of quitting before I'd even started. In the end this didn't hinder my interest in the league but I can definitely see how it can for others. So personally I don't agree that it could have  "no significant payoff" as I think it could really help retention. Idk maybe it's just me but I think it's a really good idea.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, Advantage said:

I think the idea is to do it in conjunction with the idea of splitting up Scandinavia, Europe, etc into individual countries like it used to be.

to me, if anything, it makes the most sense to keep the countries bunched up, and just show how many players from each domain there are. Like only show

USA: 40

Canada: 40

Western Europe: 35

Asia: 20
Scandanavia: 30

I'm not sure splitting up the countries is really the right move right now... but of course I could be wrong