On The Block: MOS/DAV

WU2GfAKeo6-tJxxA62dvCVGB9rVSSl2q02c7C8FV

There has been no shortage of movement around the VHL lately, to say the least. The past few days have provided us with trades aplenty, and today we take a deeper look at some of them. @PatrikLaine gave you all some thoughtful analysis of some of these recent moves just a short few days ago, and now I plan to do the same. Welcome back to On The Block.

--------------------------------------

MOS Acquires:

S76 NYA 4th

NYA Acquires:

S76 CHI 4th

Wolf Stansson

Instant Analysis: This is essentially a move to make room for Moscow’s next acquisition. Wolf Stansson is a young, but inactive defenseman who still has lots to give if he can come back in the near future. The former first round talent had a solid rookie season for the Menace, totalling 24 points and 124 shots blocked. If Stansson returns, this trade looks outstanding for New York, but it’s counting on ahockeyguy to come back. I really like this from both sides; Moscow frees up room on their blueline, and New York grabs a high-upside player with an uncertain future, yet does so in a very low-risk deal.

Trade Winner: TBD

------------------------------------------

MOS Acquires:

Roque Davis

DAV Acquires:

S77 MOS 3rd

S76 MOS 1st

Instant Analysis: In exchange for a player who wanted to find a more competitive home, Davos acquires two solid picks for the future. Roque Davis has been a true catalyst player on the ice since his rookie season, and is one of the VHL’s top defenders. He will help this Moscow team alleviate the stress of replacing Pavlov’s production, adding on to a great D core that comprises Oskar Lagesson, Alex Letang and Fat palloon. I like this move a lot for Moscow, but it was smart for Davos to get something in return for a player who possibly wasn’t planning on being there long term anyway.

Trade Winner: MOS

------------------------------------------

CGY Acquires:

S76 CHI 3rd

S76 CHI 1st

CHI Acquires:

S76 CGY 4th

S75 WAR 1st (4th Overall)

Instant Analysis: Warsaw and Calgary swap similar assets here, with the main difference being the timing of the picks. This season’s 4th overall pick is being sent to a team who is rebuilding, and what is likely a pretty high 1st round pick in S76 is coming back the other way. This allows Chicago to accelerate their rebuild, while Calgary can focus on winning now, and having a headstart on a retool in the next draft. With the assurance of the S75 pick being so high, it also comes with the price of exchanging an early-to-mid 3rd round pick for a late 4th. This trade makes sense for both teams, and the winner will only be revealed once we find out the position of the S76 picks.

Trade Winner: TBD

-----------------------------------

There is so much uncertainty about these trades. With 1st round picks — and former 1st round picks — being shopped so heavily at the moment, the value of a trade could be flipped upside-down in an instant due to a great or poor selection.

Yeah MOS wins the trade from a pure value standpoint, but it couldn't have gone better for me. I was an inch away from having to sell off Davis' rights for something in the 2nd-3rd range, so the sign-and-trade deal was a miracle.

10 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

Yeah MOS wins the trade from a pure value standpoint, but it couldn't have gone better for me. I was an inch away from having to sell off Davis' rights for something in the 2nd-3rd range, so the sign-and-trade deal was a miracle.

Honestly, with the whole situation being considered, I'd say you "won" in the sense that your value in return was pretty high considering he was leaving in FA otherwise (most likely). Its more of a win win