Random bits of information Vol. 3

Victor

• Admin

The Vancouver Wolves roster that just won the Continental Cup had 13 homegrown (i.e. drafted by Vancouver) players – an all-time record. Considering the 14th player on the team was GM player Brock Louth, that means that the Wolves didn't trade for or sign through free agency a single one of their players – unheard of. It has been a trend in recent seasons – Helsinki was the first to hit double-digits with 10 homegrown players (+Kronos Bailey) in S66, matched by Vancouver the following season and Seattle in S73. Trading is clearly overrated.

Back in the day though, some championship teams had as little as 1 player drafted by them. @Devise did it twice, with New York in S32 and S53, and I managed it once, in S38.

Speaking of Louth, @Beaviss has quite a trend now. So to summarise:

Keaton Louth: not quite HOF, won playoff MVP by winning the finals against the team he GMed in S62

Beau Louth: not quite HOF ballot, won playoff MVP in his last season before retiring

Brock Louth: not quite HOF ballot, won playoff MVP in his last season before retiring

Clearly, Beaviss needs to keep making Louths and retiring them after 1 season and definitely not trading them to rivals. The alternative is HHH who didn't win the cup at all... doesn't bode well for the monstrosity that is HH Jr.

And speaking of Keaton Louth, he is one of the highest TPE right-wingers to not make the HOF, alongside Dan Wilinsky, Jake Davis, and perennial ballot member Tyson Kohler. That last RW to make that HOF (aside from blast from the past Mathias Chouinard) was actually Theo Axelsson who retired back in S57. Right wingers, step up!

9 minutes ago, Victor said:

that means that the Wolves didn't trade for or sign through free agency a single one of their players – unheard of. It has been a trend in recent seasons – Helsinki was the first to hit double-digits with 10 homegrown players (+Kronos Bailey) in S66, matched by Vancouver the following season and Seattle in S73. Trading is clearly overrated.

The exact reason I got out of the GM game seasons ago. Wasn't just the fact that I'm far past my prime anyways and we have plenty of qualified people in the wings; an era where trading for stars is an overrated and mildly successful way to build a good team doesn't bode well for any Devise GM'd club haha. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Devise said:

The exact reason I got out of the GM game seasons ago. Wasn't just the fact that I'm far past my prime anyways and we have plenty of qualified people in the wings; an era where trading for stars is an overrated and mildly successful way to build a good team doesn't bode well for any Devise GM'd club haha. 

I'm still here reppin the blockbuster trade squad. Just with some added scouting.

But are oldies really past their prime? Find out here :P 

54 minutes ago, Devise said:

youre just a bad gm

/thread

• Admin
16 hours ago, solas said:

Maybe my next player in S81 or whenever should be a right-winger then.  Every RW I've created has made the HoF and I bet nobody else will make it until then ?

I think Muller ended up going in as a center, otherwise he would be the most recent (again, apart from Chouinard).

• Admin
1 minute ago, solas said:

Yeah I was just joking since Axelsson is the only RW I've ever made :P

I totally misread that tbh as 'all my Hall of Famers were RWs' lol.

I've never made a winger, it may be time. But what would you do with all that unused Faceoff TPE??

35 minutes ago, Victor said:

I totally misread that tbh as 'all my Hall of Famers were RWs' lol.

I've never made a winger, it may be time. But what would you do with all that unused Faceoff TPE??

I just pumped it all into Checking for those sweet sweet Boulets and hit totals.