Honoring Zach Arce

scoop

Part of the spirit of the Super Cup is honoring former VHL stars. I am GM of The Arceholes, a team created to honor Hall of Famer Zach Arce.

Zach Arce was drafted 14th overall in Season 9, a considerable steal for the Avangard Havoc (now the Davos Dynamo). He did not have a long career in the VHL, playing as a rookie in Season 10 and retiring after Season 14. In his 360 game career, he scored 180 goals and 489 points. In terms of total statistics, you look at the career stats and this may not look like a Hall of Fame-worthy player, especially when you consider that he was not much of a defensive player. But when you examine the rest of his case, you  can understand why he was named a first-ballot Hall of Famer in Season 15.

Zach Arce was a member of three championship teams: S11 Davos Dynamo, S13 Davos Dynamo, and S14 New York Americans. He won both MVP awards in Season 12 and 13, earning the Mike Szatkowski Trophy during both of those seasons as the VHL's points leader.

My first player played for the Dynamo with Arce in Season 12 and 13, and he was much more than a great player, but also a great member of the VHL.

Arce is the epitome of downward trajectory. Goes from a HOF player to coming on periodically and creating career VHLMers, to not even doing that. If only he was a roller coaster, he'd be back up to this level in no time.

And I just realized that his HoF sig is incorrect, as he did not play in S15.

That's weird, because I'm pretty sure Spelman was S15.  Probably a deadline baby, though...

• 5 months later...