Long Rest : Line Shift - Introduction

duckberg32

Long Rest : Line Shift

Legends tell of a day where five fake hockey players would come together to run the most epic fake Dungeons & Dragons game ever. Today is the beginning of that journey.

Signing up for the VHL in a Covid world was quite strange. Meetings were done via Zoom and registrations had to be scanned and emailed instead of handed directly in. It also made things go by much quicker. A few general managers had seemed interested in what he had to offer, but the options those teams had for him varied as well. Should he join a successful team who may not be able to offer him much ice time to receive solid coaching and improve himself? Or should he take advantage of teams lacking depth at wing and earn more minutes, though possibly without success. Usually, there would probably be so much going on in the world that a decision like this would kind of just fall into him without having to stress about it too much, but right now there was literally nothing to do but figure out his future. 

With more free time, and less things to do with his life, Watson Stonebridge found himself wander to an old hobby of his, Dungeons & Dragons. He reached into the ether of the VHL player base and immediately received responses from fellow VHL newbie Anime Protagonist, and ascending defenseman Tyler Walker. Watson realized two things at this exact moment: 1. People were actually into his silly little hobby and 2. Oh, crap he had accidentally volunteered to run the game. 

Watson had never been a Dungeon Master before, and he was just getting started with his VHL career. Would he be able to handle both workloads and still be successful? Would the things that happened off the ice effect what happened on the ice, and vice/versa? He remembered something his mom had always told him; “When things begin to feel overwhelming, try writing them down to clear your thoughts. It usually turns out that things are not as bad as they seem.” He sat down at his computer, and began:

Long Rest : Line Shift
Volume 1: New Beginnings and Two More Players

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duckberg32 here and welcome to Long Rest : Line Shift, my weekly, bimonthly, monthly blog post written, moving forward, in the first person view of new VHL winger Watson Stonebridge. When I decided to come back to the VHL it was because I had so many ideas of things to write about; I realized my creative release for actual prose writing had been bottled up for quite a while and was craving release and opportunity, but I couldn't figure out which idea to settle into and without clarity I knew I would lose focus and wither away like I have here in the past. It was then that my ADHD kicked in and asked “Why not both?” In this series, Watson Stonebridge will talk about his challenges as a player, a person and a Dungeon Master for a bunch of hockey players. They will be linked in some way to each other and hopefully we all learn some things along the way. Things may or amy not be related to things I have dealt with/am dealing in real life. That being said, it is time for audience participation.

I am looking for two users to join Jericho and Advantage in a fictitious D&D campaign that will be almost totally completely made up by myself. It will be driven by the information offered.

Please comment with this information if you would like to join the intrepid adventurers, please comment below with this information:

Name:
Race: 
Class:
Background:
Goal:

If selected, you will join the party as I write their adventures in The Mad Realm and get wonderful character art like shown below!

Flaunk Torgolatein

@Jericho

Spoiler

Flonk-2.png

Goliath Wizard

Goal: Learn to read

Flaunk was born into a society of goliaths that used the power of tattoos to manifest the arcane powers they taught. Being a natural learner of the art, and skilled artist, he began to be unfulfilled by the abilities taught by his people. He ventured out to join a real arcane college to learn the way other folks learned magic. There is just one problem though, Flaunk does not know how to read! Will he ever become proficient enough to prosper at a real arcane college, and what kind of issues will arise even if he gets in?

Edwin Encarnacion 

@Advantage

Spoiler

New-Project-1.png

Human Barbarian

Goal: Find a parrot

Edwin was everything you could ask for in a captain: he listened to his crew, he took care of his ship, and his parrot was as loyal as can be. All of those things were dashed away in an instant the day his trusty bird disappeared. He woke up after nightmares and voices, and within the hour the ship was stuck in a horrible storm. He was shipwrecked on an island for months before a ship found him in passing and brought him back to civilized lands. Now he walks the lands looking to get back what he lost, and the first thing he's going to do is find his damn bird.

About the Mad Realm:

canvas13.png
This moderately-sized continent stretches across several climate regions, from Tropical in the North, through to Cold in the South. is geologically calm; there is little tectonic activity in this region; the land is generally very flat, and the only mountainous regions lie far on the north-west coast of the Realm.
The winds in this region are generally moderate, with large storms and extreme weather being uncommon. The seas surrounding the Realm are generally gentle, though some areas to the North have rough seasons each year.
The Mad Realm is home to an assorted variety of creatures and plants, and a modest amount of those are found only in this region.

There are three major ruling classes that rule the entirety of the realms. Each class is ruled based on their poverty level, or lack thereof. Each of the levels have their own laws and it is a known, but unspoken, practice to change your level of riches to better suit the rules you look to bend.

1011 words : Claiming for weeks ending 2/21 & 2/28

Editor's Note: This is not a real D&D game and all things happening will be 100% created and made up by me. Most games will somehow relate to the topic of the week and a few dice rolls will be made by me behind the scenes for character growth progression etc.

Edited by duckberg32

• Head Moderator

@duckberg32

Name: Fiona Valentina
Race: Elf
Class: Bard
Background: Fiona was born an orphan and raised in the slums. Her life has been about survival, and she has figured out pretty quickly she can use her charm and appearance in order to survive and move up the social ladder. Conniving but true to her word, she seeks to escape the trenches of taverns and bars as a maid/dancer and wishes to someday be able to amass power in the shadows.
Goal: To control a shadow syndicate or prostitution ring.

God I wish I had the time right now to join in, but with me playing in another dnd game and just general work/VHL/life commitments I don't think I can manage it. THAT BEING SAID you should totally do writeups on this for your weekly media spot @duckberg32 IDK if that technically would be considered league related but I hope it is and would love to read through session summaries as they come up.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

God I wish I had the time right now to join in, but with me playing in another dnd game and just general work/VHL/life commitments I don't think I can manage it. THAT BEING SAID you should totally do writeups on this for your weekly media spot @duckberg32 IDK if that technically would be considered league related but I hope it is and would love to read through session summaries as they come up.

This is not a real dnd game. This is a completely fictitious game that will be 100% written by me to fit the narrative of whatever I'm talking about that week. Feel free to make up a silly character and watch them grow! It's like one of those afk games without the micro transactions! (I mean, unless you want to spot me some $$$)

1 hour ago, duckberg32 said:

This is not a real dnd game. This is a completely fictitious game that will be 100% written by me to fit the narrative of whatever I'm talking about that week. Feel free to make up a silly character and watch them grow! It's like one of those afk games without the micro transactions! (I mean, unless you want to spot me some $$$)

ahhhhh I missed that part haha. Ok then 👀

Just now, Mr_Hatter said:

ahhhhh I missed that part haha. Ok then 👀

I have a game that I run and a player in 3 other games. I do not have time for another real game XD but I promise to treat anyone who creates with the utmost respect of any D&D character lol.

Uzax.png

Name : Uzax Daardendrian

Race : Dragonborn 

Class : Paladin 

Grimblade is a Paladin from the dry lands that was expelled from the Royal Guard after propositioning the Queens handmaiden. He was banished from the city and now wanders the land in search of honor and glory to restore his name. His family have long served the realm and his dismissal has damaged his clans reputation amongst the cities elite and powerful. He fancies himself as a bit of a ladies man and is fiercely loyal to his friends once they have gained his trust.

Goal: To one day, lose his virginity. 

Edited by BOOM

Name: Yllawynn Darora
Race: Firbolg
Class: Rogue
Background: Yllawynn Darora grew up in a small community of Firbolg in the woods, about two miles away from the nearby city of Rex-Imm (or at least as she understood it at the time - she would later discover it was spelled Wrexham). Relatively young and inexperienced in the ways of life, Yllawynn and her friends would often dare each other to do silly, often reckless things by way of pranks. One night, Yllawynn's friend Umegalor Carqen dared her to sneak into the city and try to remain there for a day without being spotted. Obviously, a Firbolg isn't exactly something that humans are used to, so she tried to keep to the shadows, eventually taking a nap behind the dumpster of an Italian restaurant. Upon waking up, she was hungry and ate some recently disposed of food, and discovered the greatest culinary invention of humankind that she would have to take back to the Firbolgs. It was something called a Rah-Ve-Ouly, or so she overheard the humans saying. She could make out the taste of cheese and of tomato but could not figure out this smooth grain-like substance where the cheese was held, so she climbed up deeper into the dumpster to investigate and to eat the rest of what was there, except for a single Rah-Ve-Ouly which she would take back to the woods with her. Climbing out of the dumpster, she was spotted by a human who had never seen a Firbolg before and taken away, where she was kept in the human's basement for a few days. The human interacted with her, as curious about a Firbolg as she was about a Rah-Ve-Ouly, but eventually she would escape. Or so she thought. The human had been a scientist of sorts, and in Yllawynn's attempt to leave, she'd gone through some sort of makeshift portal where she ended up in a different location and had no concept of her bearings. Wanting for years to get back to her community but not knowing if they were on the same world, in the same universe, on the same timeline, or anything, she eventually tried to make the most of her new life, learning a lot of foraging and stealth skills along the way and developing something of a rogue skillset in her new setting. She had long since eaten the final Rah-Ve-Ouly, and has not discovered any more of them since the portal.
Goal: To unlock the secrets behind this marvelous food known as a Rah-Ve-Ouly, so she can make them herself and never have to worry about running out again. Oh, and if there's time for it, maybe get back to her home.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, BOOM said:

Race: Dragonborn

Goal: To one day, lose his virginity. 

why did you have to put that image in my head

Edited by GrittyIsKing09