Play for Pay: Embracing the mercenary culture

BOOM

Killzone-Mercenary-Art-Danner.jpg

It's common knowledge that the agent of former player Odin Tordahl and current FA center Bismarck "Hertz/Thrifty/Avis" Köenig is a man with little to no loyalty whatsoever. Once again this off-season, we see this trait on show for the entire league to see, with former Dynamo and Express forward Köenig up for grabs via free agency. There is a misconception with regards to this lack of loyalty, although the frequent team movement has left a stain on a once good reputation among his peers. The Boom Agency favors the opportunity to move around the league and interact with different players and experience what different GM's and LR's have to offer. "I have the highest regard for those players who show incredible loyalty and dedication to one team during their career, but I like to experience what the entire VHL has to offer. If that mean's I earn a reputation as a disloyal prick, while disappointed, I understand the reactions from GM's and other players", Bismarck said earlier this week. It must be said however, that teams that have indicated their disappointment with the Boom Agency in the past, have expressed interest in acquiring Köenig's services this off-season. Not Helsinki however. The hatred in Finland still burns from the departure of Tordahl to the Dynamo and a team that could have had Köenig for free(no draft picks) instead chose to trade for Thomas O'Malley. With Koponen already on the roster, O'Malley makes sense(and is a nicer guy), but as one of Bismarck's preferred destinations, the deal with Cologne effectively ended those hopes of a chance to redeem himself to the Helsinki franchise and fanbase. The score now stands at Boom 1 - Titans 1.

What isn't common knowledge however, is that Köenig will be the last player from the Boom Agency(surprise!) so one act under consideration is embracing the mercenary culture and only signing 1 season deals with teams looking to make a run at strong cup contention. If the reputation is already ruined, there is little hope that Boom could repair the damage caused by both his frequency and method of player movement, so what is there to lose? The guy who won "Member Madness" way back, no longer exists so simply having a talented player around to help rosters challenge for Continental Cup success should surely suffice? If most of the influential members already view the agency with some contempt, perhaps embracing the mercenary or gun-for-hire lifestyle, in the hope of some final success, is the best option to take as his career winds down, and he leaves the VHL forever.