Blurb for six.

Peace

So I still need to do a few capped tasks, but I'll be honest... I felt deflated when I realized Peace simply wouldn't have enough attribute points to skip the VHLE.

At first I was excited at the thought of joining the VHLE, it was a new league with no history but as time went on the idea started to 'grind my gears' in a manner of speaking. I stopped being excited, I stopped looking forward to this new league, and I can't pinpoint why the excitement evaporated as quickly as it did. Could it be Toronto sits in a good position to draft my own player? Maybe, but until the lottery completed I didn't think I was getting my character anyway so I don't think that's it. 

I think part of my issue was coming to a disappointing conclusion there's only one viable way to skip the VHLE completely: Donations!

I'm missing a total of five capped TPE with Kyle Peace... so I know that doesn't help; I claimed welfare twice, got 1/2 on a trivia question, and forgot to put up a VHL press conference one week. Through just regular capped tasking it is genuinely impossible for someone to skip the VHLE even with max recreate TPE. I'm not joking... it is literally impossible without numerous donations to the league, and I've donated once while using contract money for two additional double weeks. If I recall correctly the rules state a player cannot play in the VHL until they've met a minimum requirement to join the league unless they're a S79 or older player already on a VHL roster, while also declaring that the determining factor for S80 prospects is their TPE when drafted, so in essence a VHL team can only play a S80 prospect if they're above the current floor of 350 TPE and have no control over where any S79 or older players play assuming they're under the VHLE's hard cap of 400 TPE.

My new player Kyle Peace will be forced into the VHLE by what I can only assume was a hard floor by design. As I stated above I've soured to the thought of being linearly pushed through an artificial pipeline created to reduce stress on VHL rosters that were experiencing overcrowding issues, but I acknowledge that's my perspective as a VHL GM and not a member of any leadership group here on the website. Maybe I should look at this in a different light... when Peace does get to the VHL, he'll be more competitive I suppose!

Now onto the draft itself. 

Pre-lottery results I wasn't sure where I was going, I hadn't been interviewed by any team so I starting thinking other GMs within that range just assumed I was going to select myself. It was only after the lottery results -- wherein Toronto moved down one spot twice -- did I realize choosing myself was becoming a viable option. Earlier in the season I acquired Moscow's pick with the intent on selecting Peace but I was confident then I'd be unavailable as I was assuming Moscow would be sixth overall rather than fourth overall (originally third). 

I admit the issue with having first and third overall pre-lottery was, at best, nothing more than a minor inconvenience. I was going to get two solid prospects regardless and I still will be with second and fourth overall I received after McWolf ran the VHL lottery for us. When my picks were 1 and 3, I knew selecting Peace wasn't going to happen, but my hope is growing now that I own half of the first six selections in the upcoming VHL Entry Draft [2, 4 and 5th overall belong to the Legion].

Where Peace goes I'm uncertain, but to GMs out there: I only have two teams I don't want to play for. ;)

I guess that's my blurb for six. 

2 hours ago, Peace said:

I think part of my issue was coming to a disappointing conclusion there's only one viable way to skip the VHLE completely: Donations!

I'm missing a total of five capped TPE with Kyle Peace... so I know that doesn't help; I claimed welfare twice, got 1/2 on a trivia question, and forgot to put up a VHL press conference one week. Through just regular capped tasking it is genuinely impossible for someone to skip the VHLE even with max recreate TPE. I'm not joking... it is literally impossible without numerous donations to the league, and I've donated once while using contract money for two additional double weeks.

Let's dive into this, mainly because I'm curious whether this is true or not. I've long been under the impression that it's easy to skip the E as a recreate, it's the M that's the challenge.

I'm going to use Letang as a reference. I created the week before the M draft, and there was no late joiner TPE then. I updated Letang for 77 consecutive weeks from that point, from draft week to the TDL of S79. Starting in an offseason and ending at the TDL sort of balances out, so we're putting about 8.5 weeks per VHL season, which includes offseason. Letang finished with 1,440 TPE, putting him at 160 TPE/season on a 9 season schedule (2 VHLM + 7 VHL), which is also around 18.7 TPE per week. 

Specifically to the donations part, I Ctrl+F'd "donation 5" and found 3 instances, and I only donated $10 each time so that's 33 tpe total (6 doubles + 5 uncapped). So Letang's total if I take out any "P2W" transactions would be 1,407, which is then 156 TPE/season and 18.27 TPE /week. I'm not really including any of the community donation drives since I think a large amount of the community participates in those anyways, so I don't think that falls under the P2W umbrella. 

Now, on to what leagues can be skipped. I'm going through this process myself and most of my "skip the M/skip the E" stuff has been just out of curiosity to see what I can skip, not that I hate a league. I just want to play 9 seasons in the VHL, and I have to skip a second season "down" no matter what. I've never played in the E before so I'd rather skip the M and go directly to the E, but that's just my preference.

So at recreate time, I got 80 TPE, the max. Now, the day before the cutoff, I am at 189 TPE. That's 109 TPE in 4 weeks. Now, I have donated twice. I've gotten 22 TPE from that, so without it, I'd be at 167 TPE right now. Granted, I still need VHFL to pay out, as well as predictions. So let's say I'd be at 175 TPE.  Making it a long-term view, let's say that a recreate who max earns, does decently well in uncapped opportunities for the season, and doesn't donate gets to around 180/190 TPE, since I don't think offseasons are usually as short as this season was. I've already pointed out that I earned 156 TPE/season with Letang, factoring out donations. 190+156 gets you to around 346, and I'd be fairly confident in that max earners ability to get to 350 by the next finance cutoff.

---

TLDR: I think it is very possible to skip the E as a max earner without donating. A recreate would end their first offseason around 190 TPE and then would earn around 150-160 TPE over the course of the next season in the M, getting them super close to 350, and easily above 350 if it's at a time of year where there's more community uncapped opportunities. 

(I'm claiming this as a media spot bc it's over 500 words)

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Garsh said:

What if you got recruitment tpe?

Or any other source of uncapped which happens quite a bit. The last couple of seasons have also had later than normal deadlines so that doesn’t help.

Edit: better version above from @Spartan actually running the math. The E is possible to skip. Is it difficult? 100%, it’s supposed to be. It’s like a 1-2 person per draft class sort of thing. Most people will play 1 season in the M and 1 season in the E, that’s why we addd the extra career season.

30 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I've long been under the impression that it's easy to skip the E as a recreate, it's the M that's the challenge.

Based on previous seasons, only 1-2 people each draft would have skipped the E. So no, it's not supposed to be easy for recreates.

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Based on previous seasons, only 1-2 people each draft would have skipped the E. So no, it's not supposed to be easy for recreates.

It’s not supposed to be easy for anyone, just possible.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Let's dive into this, mainly because I'm curious whether this is true or not. I've long been under the impression that it's easy to skip the E as a recreate, it's the M that's the challenge.

I'm going to use Letang as a reference. I created the week before the M draft, and there was no late joiner TPE then. I updated Letang for 77 consecutive weeks from that point, from draft week to the TDL of S79. Starting in an offseason and ending at the TDL sort of balances out, so we're putting about 8.5 weeks per VHL season, which includes offseason. Letang finished with 1,440 TPE, putting him at 160 TPE/season on a 9 season schedule (2 VHLM + 7 VHL), which is also around 18.7 TPE per week. 

Specifically to the donations part, I Ctrl+F'd "donation 5" and found 3 instances, and I only donated $10 each time so that's 33 tpe total (6 doubles + 5 uncapped). So Letang's total if I take out any "P2W" transactions would be 1,407, which is then 156 TPE/season and 18.27 TPE /week. I'm not really including any of the community donation drives since I think a large amount of the community participates in those anyways, so I don't think that falls under the P2W umbrella. 

Now, on to what leagues can be skipped. I'm going through this process myself and most of my "skip the M/skip the E" stuff has been just out of curiosity to see what I can skip, not that I hate a league. I just want to play 9 seasons in the VHL, and I have to skip a second season "down" no matter what. I've never played in the E before so I'd rather skip the M and go directly to the E, but that's just my preference.

So at recreate time, I got 80 TPE, the max. Now, the day before the cutoff, I am at 189 TPE. That's 109 TPE in 4 weeks. Now, I have donated twice. I've gotten 22 TPE from that, so without it, I'd be at 167 TPE right now. Granted, I still need VHFL to pay out, as well as predictions. So let's say I'd be at 175 TPE.  Making it a long-term view, let's say that a recreate who max earns, does decently well in uncapped opportunities for the season, and doesn't donate gets to around 180/190 TPE, since I don't think offseasons are usually as short as this season was. I've already pointed out that I earned 156 TPE/season with Letang, factoring out donations. 190+156 gets you to around 346, and I'd be fairly confident in that max earners ability to get to 350 by the next finance cutoff.

---

TLDR: I think it is very possible to skip the E as a max earner without donating. A recreate would end their first offseason around 190 TPE and then would earn around 150-160 TPE over the course of the next season in the M, getting them super close to 350, and easily above 350 if it's at a time of year where there's more community uncapped opportunities. 

(I'm claiming this as a media spot bc it's over 500 words)

I appreciate the breakdown but you're including other uncapped opportunities like predictions and VHFL that can yield just a single uncapped point, I know since I experienced it with Kyle Peace already... obviously that's on me for poor predictions and bad VHFL teams, but I'd classify those two as volatile ways to earn attribute points and certainly fall outside 'regular capped tasking' I was referencing too. Doubles weeks, donation fives, and the standard twelve capped weekly alongside career tasks is what I was aiming for because they represent reliable ways to earn a set amount of TPE. 

Even then at 346 you still fall short of the 350 you are required to have by the time you're drafted to a VHL team. 

As the rules are written you have to be above 350 by your VHL Draft, but that could just be me interpreting it incorrectly, so there's certainly room for some improvement there. 

"If you are above 350 TPE by your VHL draft and want to skip the VHLE completely you may do so."

It doesn't appear any mention of the VHLE has been included in the VHL Rules topic, but it implies if you're under by your VHL draft you can't skip the VHLE at all.

I stand by it being -- at the very least anyway -- practically possible without donating anything to the website.

I never said it was pay to win, but I did say I felt like I was being forced through an artificial pipeline.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Kelsier said:

But is it remotely possible for a first-gen to skip the E, since this is all factoring in having maxed out recreate TPE?

Unless you can amass 50 uncapped tpe beyond the normal uncapped stuff in a season, not likely. I'm at 326 right now with about a week or two left until cutoff, and I had max recreate TPE and participated in every uncapped opportunity and did about average.