Zach Arce Returns to the VHL...Again

Arce

Who the F**k is Zach Arce?

The VHL Career

ANZE KOPITAR Authentic Hand-Signed "Los Angeles Kings STANLEY CUP" 8x10  Photo | eBay

What seems like an eternity ago, Zach Arce was drafted in the S9 draft by the Avangard Havoc. He played RW on the first line for the Founders Cup Champion Toledo Scorpions in S9, where he helped pave the way for a champagne shower in the locker room. Arce recorded 111 points, being the primary playmaker for sniper Tyler Vassel. Following a successful stint in the VHLM, the rebuilding Havoc decided S10 was time for Arce to get the big league experience. Arce had a humbling but beneficial rookie season, finishing with 20 goals and 56 points in 72 games. Avangard had a rough season, finishing in the basement of the division. S11 Avangard got a fresh start as they relocated to HC Davos and became the Dynamo. They also transitioned to VHL legend GM Scotty Campbell, who picked up where Matt Defosse left off in steering HC Davos in the right direction. Arce thrived in S11 finishing with 28 goals, 91 points and a +91 in 72 games. He also helped HC Davos capture the S11 Continental Cup Championship in 6 games over the Seattle Bears. It was the start of a something special in HC Davos with Arce, defenseman Tomas Jenskovic, and goaltender Benoit Devereux. All three player's numbers are now hanging in the rafters. S12 was a frustrating season for the fans, as the Dynamo did not qualify for the Continental Cup playoffs. However, Arce thrived with a league leading 125 point season and became a 50 goal scorer for the first time. Arce also won his first MVP award. Still, there were many questions heading into the offseason about the direction of HC Davos for S13. Rumors swarmed if they would keep this elite trio together, or having to sell one of these pieces for more real estate. Campbell wisely held onto Arce, Devereux and Jenskovic and decided to add some veteran presence to help. Matt Bentz was added to try to capture a championship in his last season. This venture would prove successful, as HC Davos would capture the S13 Continental Cup and Bentz helped Arce capture his second MVP award with a 133 point season. Arce was also crowned the Mikita Trophy as he was the league leader in assists. They say all good things come to an end, and unfortunately that was the case entering S14 for HC Davos. GM Scotty Campbell decided it was time to take a step back and re-tool the team. Arce had also announced this would be his last season and he was heading into retirement. Out of respect, Campbell dealt Arce to the Continental Cup bound New York Americans for one final run. New York was happy to welcome Arce after losing to Arce's HC Davos squad in game 7 of the S13 Continental Cup finals. Arce finished with 91 points, netting 43 goals. It was a step back for Arce production wise but it was still a productive season none the less. Especially since Arce was able to capture his third Continental Cup, helping the star filled New York Americans to winning glory. Arce would finish with 489 points in 360 games. He lived up to his reputation as a true playmaker, and found success with 3 Continental Cups in 6 seasons, and 2 MVP awards.

The Vasteras Controversy

Who is the NHL's Best General Manager? – Overtime Heroics

Like many dedicated hockey greats, Zach Arce was not one to walk away from the game. He became the agent for fellow Danish defenseman, Frans Spelman. Spelman was an up and coming prospect, and Arce was determined to help him succeed. Not long after Arce got Spelman a deal in the VHLM, he was offered the job to become the General Manager for the Vasteras Iron Eagles. Arce accepted the position. Arce also obtained the rights to Frans Spelman and locked him in long term. Arce knew the daunting task he had ahead as the curse of Vasteras had been while alive since S2. Entering S15, Arce took on the rebuild. He secured the backbone of the team in Zach Voss, who became the franchise goaltender. Vasteras struggled, but fan loved Andreas Oslos did not disappoint with his individual performance. S16, Arce decided to shake things up and shock the whole VHL world. He proposed to move the Vasteras IK Iron Eagles to Madrid to rebrand as the Thunder. This sparked much controversy, and it is still talked about in the league today. To everyone's surprise, the re-location was approved and VHL hockey was coming to Spain! This was Arce's attempt for the franchise to start off fresh, and try to shake-off the Vasteras curse. Not even moving across the continent could remedy this. Despite years of building the new Madrid Thunder, and making them into a contender they still fell short. Arce went all in for an S18 Continental Cup run. It was a skilled bunch of mis-fits, that Kevin Brooks noted he did not want to be apart of. He had complained in the locker room, while still having his players produce. Madrid lost to Calgary, who went on to become back to back Continental Cup Champions. This left Madrid in bad state. This left Madrid with aging rental player contracts expiring, no draft pick capital, and no top ranked prospects. Madrid would have to once again go into a full fledged rebuild, as the all in cup run had failed. Zach Arce stepped down as GM of the Madrid Thunder, and the team would be taken over by Zach Voss. Not long after, Madrid moved back to Vasteras. This made Arce's tenure as a GM an exciting, venture one but a failed one. It created a lot of buzz, and gave the franchise a lot to look forward to after 16 seasons of disappointment. It was unfortunate that Arce and his club could not finish S18 to make it worth the gamble.

The Grand Return

Free Photo | Businessman making a phone call

After stepping down as the GM of the Madrid Thunder, Zach Arce took a little time away from the game. He chose to focus on his wife and two kids, and take some time to mentally recharge. After two years, Arce and his family sold their home right outside of Madrid and moved to the United States. Arce went on to re-focus on working for the young players of Team USA to help them develop and advance in their hockey careers. After successfully affiliating himself with USA hockey and bridging college players to the NHL, AHL, and of course the VHL amongst other leagues, Arce knew it was time to take a step further. He has now gone to represent players individually as a player agent to give players with the skillset a chance to succeed in the Victory Hockey League. Arce has not done this since Frans Spelman, right before he accepted the Vasteras GM job. His first big prospect goes by the name Ronan Lavelle, an Irish standout left winger. "This kid has all the tools to thrive in the VHL." Arce said. "He has a shot that I never had. I was more of a playmaker when I played, and even I was able to become a 50  goal scorer. This kid could definitely surpass me if this skillset is used right." Arce concluded. If Lavelle is able to be a success, this could be the start of a big next chapter of Arce's book. A VHL HOF, a VHL GM, and now could he become a successful player agent for the league? We will find out in the upcoming seasons!

Word Count: 1248

Weeks: 11/28, 12/5

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, Horcrux said:

wow SEASON 9? what was that like? 

Let’s just say the league was not the most inviting back then…. The first 20 seasons or so was toxic as hell.

7 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Let’s just say the league was not the most inviting back then…. The first 20 seasons or so was toxic as hell.

oh so the wild west? sounds interesting

20 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Being apart of the HC Davos VS Riga Reign rivalry was intense, and a lot of fun. It got really heated. I'll have to see how modern VHL is back then to compare to now. It was a pretty tough crowd, but the OGs who made things run DTD were great.

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, v.2 said:

yoooo!!!  Welcome back dude!  I'm trying to remember if we played together on the Havoc when I had Vestiquan, but maybe it was right before you got drafted there.

According to this i don't think he was there at the time we won.

3 hours ago, v.2 said:

yoooo!!!  Welcome back dude!  I'm trying to remember if we played together on the Havoc when I had Vestiquan, but maybe it was right before you got drafted there.

I think I got drafted right as you went out, but I remember you from your re-create! Great to see you’re still around man!

1 hour ago, tfong said:

@Arce Did you seriously forget how to format your text during that time to make it easier to read? :P

Fong it’s been 62 seasons, give me a break just this once!🤣