What's your favorite Holiday dish?

Shindigs

First of, "Chicken Nuggets" is not an acceptable answer.

Stereotypical as it may be, my favorite Christmas dish is Moose Meatballs. Yes, that is about as Swedish as anything gets. But it just is. Found an amazing recipe for them online about 9 years ago or so, and never looked back.

What's your favorite? Is it something you cook yourself, if so would you care to share the recipe? If there's interest I can hit anyone interested up with the Moose Meatball recipe, though I warn you it is not in freedom units.

Alright well my favorite dish I know it as Green Salad which is somewhat similar to Watergate Salad. It is derived from my great grandmother's obsession with lime jello.

Lime Jello

Cream Cheese

Whipped Cream

Pineapples

Do I know the measurements? No I just know it involves that.

I guess I can ask my family while I'm visiting tomorrow.

Raclette... 

Melt cheese (Raccard for example), put some spice on it if you fancy (Sweet Paprika for example), put it on boiled tatters (or bread if you must), goes well with mixed pickles (for those who like that kind of stuff)... recommended drink is white wine (Fendant, but any not too sweet wine will do)...

2 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I would have bet you said 'Poutine Noël' ;)

Is that just fries covered in snow or something?

Edited by Shindigs

3 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Is that just fries covered in snow or something?

Yeah let's call it 'snow' Nah, but since you asked for the favourite Christmas dish, I added a festive 'Noël' to the ordinary poutine... alternatively you could of course add Clue Glue™️ to make it all the more christmassy...

Edited by Daniel Janser

29 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Yeah let's call it 'snow' Nah, but since you asked for the favourite Christmas dish, I added a festive 'Noël' to the ordinary poutine... alternatively you could of course add Clue Glue™️ to make it all the more christmassy...

Don't you mean...*puts on glasses* Cluemassy?

Just now, Arce said:

Making a garlic butter seasoned bone in prime rib this Christmas Eve🔥

Ribs are my close 2nd, ngl my mouth started watering just reading that.

It's not for everyone, but incredibly popular in my family (I'm the one that makes it, learned it from my grandfather): a blue cheese dip for pretzels/chips. It works especially well with those "buffalo wing" flavored pretzel pieces.

- 2 of those rectangular packs of cream cheese (Neufchatel is fine if you're going for the less fat option - I usually use Neufchatel and haven't noticed a difference in either consistency or taste)

- 1 chunk of Danish blue is ideal (about 1/3 lb) as Danish blue is the best tasting option - if you don't have a place that sells this (in cities, it will likely be in the cheese dept of your major grocery stores, but if you're more rural you might be in a food desert of sorts and not have this available) then domestic is fine (usually a Wisconsin cheese if in USA) or even the crumbles. 2 packs of crumbles if you go that route as the crumbles tend to take from the less flavor parts of the cheese. Please for your own sake do not use Amish blue, it's disgusting. Variants of similar cheeses (roquefort, stilton, gorgonzola) have their purposes but aren't really for this.

- Milk as needed for consistency

Cut the cream cheese into chunks (8 to 12 per pack) and throw them in the blender. Add just enough milk to get to about the blades of the blender, and blend this down. Gradually add the blue (if you've bought a chunk, you'll need to break it up by hand). If at any point it's too thick and isn't blending properly, add more milk. If it's too thin, unfortunately you can't remove milk, but you can generally let it sit overnight in the fridge and it will solidify enough. Once it's all blended (no chunks, all smooth, but the end result should be pretty thick) it's done.

50 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Pumpkin pie

Pumpkin pie is a weird one for me. I love the filling, but really can't deal with the crust. I realized that for me replacing the crust with a cheesecake style bottom worked better. Probably considered sacriLedge over there though.😅

3 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Probably considered sacriLedge over there though

pumpkin pie high-key one of the better foods. if I really wanted to trigger the Canadians I could say that poutine is really bad. Have been up in Sault St. Marie and and Hamilton but have never enjoyed poutine.

16 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Pumpkin pie is a weird one for me. I love the filling, but really can't deal with the crust. I realized that for me replacing the crust with a cheesecake style bottom worked better. Probably considered sacriLedge over there though.😅

I have the same thing! The last few years, we've made a homemade crust which makes the pie so much better. And yes, when thanksgiving is on the horizon, I am insufferable

13 hours ago, nurx said:

you better be making that from scratch I have been doing it since I was 16

Of course! The store ones are always cheap and watered down, you have to make your own

• Head Moderator

Our family makes pierogies the day after thanksgiving and freezes them for christmas eve dinner...  usually do 200-300 mixed between potato, cheese, mushroom and saurkraut.  pan fried with onions...  leftover dough we make taco ones w/ ground beef :D