There's still a Meta

MetalToday

The new hybrid attributes have had a bit of a mixed response, with many people liking and appreciating the change, as others like the old way better. I take a bit of a different approach however, according to some known players, the metas will still be in the system, its just going to be harder to improve the meta stats as it was before. I was kind of hoping for a new system that is much more realistic, but we got more meta builds that only dedicated players will know about. It won’t take long until the ideal stats are found, and I think that’s going to make it hard for new players once again. I think this was the simple way to fix the meta problem that actually fixed nothing. I think intimidation should play a bigger roll in the simulations, many hits can make other teams fear the player and stand on their toes. The passing stat is still expected to be a bad as well, meaning it is possible that a good passer is not going to be certain to be a good playmaker. I think the system should take more “player types” that will play better deep in the playoffs, and/or better in the season, as we know from the nhl, talent gets you nowhere in the playoffs if you have no emotion.

8 hours ago, MetalToday said:

I think intimidation should play a bigger roll in the simulations, many hits can make other teams fear the player and stand on their toes.

I very much agree with this, but sadly that part is universal in all hockey sim/management games I've ever played, at least. It's why hitting is (almost) always "bad" in sims. The lack of the intimidation and forced errors from playing under pressure means that, really, hitting is just "poke checking that gives more penalties".

8 hours ago, MetalToday said:

It won’t take long until the ideal stats are found, and I think that’s going to make it hard for new players once again.

The upside of the new system is that you can make changes to the ratios on each attribute as needed to deal with "problem attributes" as issues pop up. It already happened between the system being announced and it going live. Passing's ratio went from 0.36->0.32 because it was way too easy to hit 99 Passing still. Fighting on Grit went from 0.3->0.24 because checking forwards/dmen ended up with more fighting than they wanted. The league sadly has no control over the engine itself, not for lack of trying to get it, but with this they can at least keep us from abusing it too badly.

Another much overlook part of the new system is that it reduces/removes 99s and largely most attributes even going into the 90s. The sim was not meant to ever actually work with all 99s, it was "supposed" to break it. So no longer having those super bloated attributes should help minimize the amount of non-sense the engine is up to. But it's STHS, so there will still be plenty of non-sense, ofc.😅

2 hours ago, Shindigs said:

I very much agree with this, but sadly that part is universal in all hockey sim/management games I've ever played, at least. It's why hitting is (almost) always "bad" in sims. The lack of the intimidation and forced errors from playing under pressure means that, really, hitting is just "poke checking that gives more penalties".

As a player who prefers physical/two-way builds this makes me sad... on the other hand, maybe my next player will be a netminder... either that or a meme defender... anyway still too much live in Daniel Janser to start thinking about my next player I think...

12 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

As a player who prefers physical/two-way builds this makes me sad... on the other hand, maybe my next player will be a netminder... either that or a meme defender... anyway still too much live in Daniel Janser to start thinking about my next player I think...

I mean people still make very good physical two-way guys in this league, meta notwithstanding, it's not like we're a hardcore min/max league where everyone just has to make the literal best build possible to have personal success. Just from a team building perspective, usually in sim games building the team that takes the least possible penalties by ignoring hitting is going to be the best solution.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Thompson, Lahtinen, Dood, Idaho…

All 2-way power forwards that dominated the Boulet the last 20 seasons and 3/4 of which (the last isn’t retired yet) we’re first ballot HoF. A power forward isn’t inherently bad and in my experience the penalties can be balanced off.

42 minutes ago, Beketov said:

All 2-way power forwards that dominated the Boulet the last 20 seasons and 3/4 of which (the last isn’t retired yet) we’re first ballot HoF. A power forward isn’t inherently bad and in my experience the penalties can be balanced off.

And those four players combine for how many championships?

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, scoop said:

And those four players combine for how many championships?

1 player does not a team make.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

I was more referring to the non-existent, 'This dude is too big and scary, I better give him the puck before he bitch slaps me' -effect in STHS... I am happy with my career so far, and will not steer away from being a Two-way forward... 

I like how the conversation is going, I think I've learned more than i did chatting in my locker room. I didn't really think about the multiplier changing with regards to people finding meta builds overtime, I think that was an important overlook on my part.

10 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Another much overlook part of the new system is that it reduces/removes 99s and largely most attributes even going into the 90s. The sim was not meant to ever actually work with all 99s, it was "supposed" to break it. So no longer having those super bloated attributes should help minimize the amount of non-sense the engine is up to. But it's STHS, so there will still be plenty of non-sense, ofc.😅

the 99 stats were crazy before, but I have wondered what the major difference was from a 95 to 99 overall stat, but it will be better to have it spread out.

I do agree, for the most part defensive, gritty, or 2 way players aren't really awarded though, they get many hits and points, but I don't see the intimidation playing a role, and anyone whos played hockey knows, some people are scary af, and you play more careful around them. 

18 minutes ago, MetalToday said:

I do agree, for the most part defensive, gritty, or 2 way players aren't really awarded though, they get many hits and points, but I don't see the intimidation playing a role, and anyone whos played hockey knows, some people are scary af, and you play more careful around them. 

This and most of your complaints really can be explained by the fact that we are locked into whatever STHS has available to us. We can't change anything to do with the actual sim engine.