2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

About a week ago. Each week it changes Sandro, maybe thats why he lumped them in.

Based on how they were playing a week ago, it didn't look good. Even now, they almost collapsed against the Flames. The depth on defense is still an issue. There are still plenty of question marks around Miller. I don't know what's going to happen, but as of right now the Canucks are a playoff team. In two weeks they may not be anymore, but I can't see the future.

Why in the world are the Canucks lumped in there? Hell, why are the Flames? Calgary works their asses off every game and are actually making progress. The Canucks are still a playoff team as of today. Edmonton is the only embarrassment out here right now.

The Flames have not lost this many games in a row since the 70s.  They are atrocious.  They were atrocious right from the start but had out of this world goaltending + luck winning them games.  Everyone not living in Calgary knew this was coming and now it is.  Good chance they are a bottom 5 team by the end of the year.  Their "progress" was an illusion.

I'll be pretty surprised if the Canucks make the playoffs this year as well but but they have that longshot chance because of the slow start of teams like Minnesota and Dallas.  I wouldn't put money on them making it though.

The Oilers are the scum of the NHL, everyone knows that.

The truth is I want nothing more than for all three of these teams to be great again (at the same time).  There is nothing better as a fan of those teams then to see teams that hate each other battle one another in meaningful playoff games.  It's SO much fun.  I watched Oilers/Flames in the 80s, when they were two of the best teams in the league and hated each other's guts.  My family is split between Flames and Oilers fan and we used to call each other after hockey games just to trashtalk each other.  It's such an enjoyable thing when rival teams are both relevant at the same time.

Right now though all three are piss poor hockey clubs (of varying degrees).  The Canucks at least have a top line that is among the best in the NHL when they are on, and the Flames have a solid blueline (Oilers have shit all), but sadly, all three of these teams are pretty unlikely to make the playoffs by the end of the season. 

It looks like it will come down to the Canucks and the Sharks for that third guaranteed playoff spot in the Pacific Division. I won't be surprised if LA pulls it together and gets the second spot, but I could see the Canucks beating out the Sharks. They gotta string some wins together though.

Pretty cool win for Rob Zepp. 33 year old goalie who played in just about every minor league you can think of, the FEL, and the DEL made his NHL debut in the Flyers' 4-3 win tonight.

The only thing I loved more about that game was Byfuglien having karma collect on his bullshit by setting up Scoreacek for the win.

Terrible decision by the Devils imo. It's the GM that is the issue with that team. DaBoer did a fine job with the assets he was given. 

That's the thing, he did the job with the right pieces he was handed. He's in no way a bad coach. His system is prototypical Devils-like, but his handling of rookies and his DeBoner with veterans was and is crippling to the development to our prospects. Adam Larsson gets benched if he makes a mistake, but Bryce Salvador gets played constantly despite his lack of ability to stop an incoming forward. And somehow, someway, Peter Harrold gets called up everytime Pete needs his #1 guy out there in Peter Harrold over Larsson and Gelinas.

Lou is to blame for the shitty pieces, but all in all, there needed to be a culture change in that locker room.

As many Devils fans say, In Lou We Trust. 

That's the thing, he did the job with the right pieces he was handed. He's in no way a bad coach. His system is prototypical Devils-like, but his handling of rookies and his DeBoner with veterans was and is crippling to the development to our prospects. Adam Larsson gets benched if he makes a mistake, but Bryce Salvador gets played constantly despite his lack of ability to stop an incoming forward. And somehow, someway, Peter Harrold gets called up everytime Pete needs his #1 guy out there in Peter Harrold over Larsson and Gelinas.

Lou is to blame for the shitty pieces, but all in all, there needed to be a culture change in that locker room.

As many Devils fans say, In Lou We Trust. 

This. Let's not forget that going out to grab old 35+ aged players past their primes (even Jagr) is not a recipe for a championship team. But I challenge you to go find a team that has lost out on retaining it's most powerful piece twice in 5 seasons. Parise and Kovy both jetted and it's one of the reasons I'll never cheer for Parise. At the same time though yeah Pete didn't want to develop his youth. You have to rely on your youth a lot more than he did and then rely on your veterans in the playoffs (which we won't be attending this year).