2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

sad that he isn't funny anymore. At least in his NHL 15 series.

I still enjoy his videos, he has his own style :D

yeah lmao.quick sell neal, turtle hurtle, all of em :P

Quick sell Carter, gotcha bitch!, there's a lot of them :)

why

Lack and Kassian trades got god awful returns. Various awful contracts that have cost the team better players because he's loyal to his "own guys" even if they suck. Firing Gilman, Henning, and Crawford for having a different opinion than him and his BFF Weisbrod. The guy is going to be to the Canucks as Jay Feaster was to Calgary. He'll bring in some good prospects, but the team won't be good until someone competent is in place as the GM.

Edited by Sandro

You fucking Canucks fan, oh my god. Sandro do you not see the bigger picture? Benning clearly is going to try and unload for this year and have a good 2016 draft and also the free agent class for 2016 will be a good one.

Oh fuck you. I've been calling for the Canucks to blow it up for a few months now, he keeps talking about getting younger and making room for the kids, but remaining competitive. He makes moves that completely contradict his statements. I honestly don't believe Benning has a plan. And how can you say the 2016 free agent class will be any good? It's a year away, half those players will be re-signed by then.

Benning can draft well all he wants, I don't have any confidence in the ability of Benning and his army of yes men to negotiate contracts or make trades. All they talk about is "character" and "meat and potatoes". Those are nice traits to have and all, but why can't anyone in this organization give us some legitimate insight into how good a player someone is? I don't give a shit if Luca Sbisa is the nicest guy on the planet, he's one of the worst defencemen in the NHL and should not be getting paid $3.6 million A YEAR.

One year in and he already fucked up the team's cap, lost players as a result of it, then proceeded to fire the guy who has been in charge of managing the salary cap so well for the last seven years. He's in over his head. He's a scout, not a general manager. He will bring in some good prospects for another couple of years, then he will be shown the door once Aquilini finds someone to sell the team to.

It's pretty simple to look and see what Benning is trying to do for the future.

Lack return was fine. Being a fan favourite doesn't give you more value. If he was worth more, he would have returned more.

Kassian has been nothing but inconsistent on the Canucks, and along with his back injury he just isn't worth much anymore. If he was some stud RW on the verge of success he would have had a better return as well. We had to give a pick just to get rid of him. Montreal fans are shocked that Prust is gone, and a lot of them don't even like getting Kassian. He was given plenty of chances on the Canucks and didn't deliver much. His game was picking up a little bit last season but was hit with another back injury.

It's pretty simple to look and see what Benning is trying to do for the future.

Lack return was fine. Being a fan favourite doesn't give you more value. If he was worth more, he would have returned more.

Kassian has been nothing but inconsistent on the Canucks, and along with his back injury he just isn't worth much anymore. If he was some stud RW on the verge of success he would have had a better return as well. We had to give a pick just to get rid of him. Montreal fans are shocked that Prust is gone, and a lot of them don't even like getting Kassian. He was given plenty of chances on the Canucks and didn't deliver much. His game was picking up a little bit last season but was hit with another back injury.

1) It's not really clear what he's trying to do, because he keeps making moves that contradict each other.

2) No. No it wasn't. Try and apply that logic to other trades and you'll quickly find that it's total bullshit, by the way.

3) I have no issue with trading Kassian. Nor do I really have any issues with Prust. I don't like trading one for the other. I don't see why we have to trade Kassian with a pick for a guy who's older, more expensive, not as good, and fills a role that was already filled by Dorsett. Someone must've been willing to give up a pick for him.

Benning has been making trades for the sake of making trades lately, and that's not a good strategy.

No he hasn't, you are simply overreacting. He got rid of a guy with a horrible work ethic because when he brings in younger players, he doesn't want Kassian's style rubbing off on a young guy. Anyone he signs is a stop gap anyways, from Vrbata to Bartkowski. Also notice he signed guys to one year deals, if they work their tails off then they are worthy of another contract. If they suck, they come off the books.

Bieksa had a NTC and it was waived because Benning found a deal. Gillis set up whoever was going to be his successor for failure in these situations. Put a NTC on everyone, force the next GM to have to get below market value just to offload the player.

Prust will be a guy who can take care of the rookies for the most part.

I should also mention Sbisa's corsi was worse this year with Bieksa than it was paired with any other partner. What happened to Bieksa? He gets shipped out. Sbisa is not the best player sure, but he is young and who knows what can happen with him. He isn't Kassian and actually gives a shit.

Edited by Kendrick

I can't really comment on the rest of the Vancouver stuff because I don't follow them too much, but I thought the Lack trade was pretty fair. Goalies around the league don't hold a ton of value since the relative talent differential between the top top goalies and a middle of the pack goalie isn't huge. The Sabres grossly overpaid for Lehner.

No he hasn't, you are simply overreacting. He got rid of a guy with a horrible work ethic because when he brings in younger players, he doesn't what Kassian's style rubbing off on a young guy. Anyone he signs is a stop gap anyways, from Vrbata to Bartkowski. Also notice he signed guys to one year deals, if they work their tails off then they are worth of another contract. If they suck, they come off the books.

Bieksa had a NTC and it was waived because benign found a deal. Gillis set up whoever was going to be his successor for failure in these situations. Put a NTC on everyone, force the next GM to have to get below market value just to offload the player.

Prust will be a guy who can take care of the rookies for the most part.

I should also mention Sbisa's corsi was worse this year than Bieksa than it was paired with any other partner. What happened to Bieksa? He gets shipped out. Sbisa is not the best player sure, but he is young and who knows what can happen with him. He isn't Kassian and actually gives a shit.

For once I agree with Kendrick.

Devils are going to win the cup this season, hands down. 

hahaha.

Also Mathias signed in Toronto for 1 yr @ 2.3m. GL being a first liner on Toronto lol.

Edited by The Sheriff

Add Matthias to the Canucks players in the past few years who sign for a year in Toronto to prove themselves.

Santorelli, Booth, Matthias.

Cant forget Raymond. All have pretty much busted. Raymond was alright but then got a nice deal with CGY then got injured/was a healthy scratch? Santorelli was alright but then after being dealt to Nashville didnt do much and Booth... well he was what a fourth liner for Toronto?

Also Tarasenko signed, 7.5 x 6. Thats a big one.

Edited by The Sheriff

No not really.  I've read practically no Habs fans unhappy with the deal.  A couple worried about his great relationship within the room, but he wasn't even a top-12 forward for us last year.  He's clearly getting too banged up to be very effective at what he does anymore.

He was also one of the most undisciplined players I've ever seen in a Habs uniform during the stretch run last year.