2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Tanev better than Petry ?

euhhhh

Have you seen him in Montreal ?

edit : nvm

Tanev is one of the best defensemen in the entire league when it comes to suppressing the other team's forwards.

article_fd628999-54e6-47cf-bd8c-3f074ec4

• 2 weeks later...

But having Lack and Miller long-term might not be the best option game management-wise?

Who's going to take an aging, below-average Ryan Miller for $6M a year for the next two years? Please, let Jim Benning know who is willing because we really need it.

Markstrom has an intriguing set of tools that I don't want to give up on, but I also don't have the confidence that he has the mental fortitude to cut it in the NHL. Plus, he still has quite a few holes in his game that aren't exposed as much in the AHL. As soon as he gets into an NHL game, the increased speed (both in terms of skating and puck movement) make his troubles moving laterally in his crease painfully apparent.

Right now, Lack is the best goalie we have and the best option for the next 5-6 years while we wait for Thatcher Demko to (hopefully) develop into the goalie of the future. He put up a .925 save percentage (or in around there) after Miller went down to injury. He still got up to a .920 on the season overall, even after a really rough start. It's not like Lack isn't still improving either. He's 27 years old and right about to hit his prime, he loves the city, and he seems like he's able to handle to intensity of the media. Something Luongo didn't figure out how to do until his last couple of years as a Canuck, that Ryan Miller has never figured out, and that -- as suggested earlier -- I don't think Markstrom has the ability to handle.

Lack is my choice moving forward, but I'm honestly terrified that Benning is going to run with Miller and take a chance on the massive risk that is Markstrom, and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Lack and nothing more.

Edited by Sandro

So you have to decide, trade for best return or trade because of a log jam at the position?

Logjam. Lack may get the "best" return, but the return will still be shitty. He's the best goalie they have, and the only real hope if they want to be a competitive team for the next five years, which by all accounts they want to be.

Yeah honestly its a shitty good problem for the Canucks. Would be nice if Miller could be moved but that wont happen so its either Markstrom or Lack and Benning likes Markstrom so... But you already if the canucks move Lack he will go to a team and be an incredible starter.

Yeah honestly its a shitty good problem for the Canucks. Would be nice if Miller could be moved but that wont happen so its either Markstrom or Lack and Benning likes Markstrom so... But you already if the canucks move Lack he will go to a team and be an incredible starter.

No it is not. The market is shit for goaltenders right now, he's not going to get good value for any of them. Lack is the only one who's given any reason to believe he's capable of carrying the load going forward. Miller is probably on his last contract. This is a terrible situation.

No it is not. The market is shit for goaltenders right now, he's not going to get good value for any of them. Lack is the only one who's given any reason to believe he's capable of carrying the load going forward. Miller is probably on his last contract. This is a terrible situation.

I think he means it is a good problem in the way that the Canucks actually have great goaltending in the system. For once, we have too many goaltenders unlike a decade ago when it was basically a graveyard before Luongo was brought in.

I think he means it is a good problem in the way that the Canucks actually have great goaltending in the system. For once, we have too many goaltenders unlike a decade ago when it was basically a graveyard before Luongo was brought in.

Except we don't really have great goaltending in the system.

Right now we have a younger, improving goalie who looks ready to be a #1 in Lack. We have an aging, below-average goalie on a massive contract with Ryan Miller. And we have a young, unproven goaltender who hasn't been able to put it together in the NHL in Jacob Markstrom.

The Canucks had great goaltending three years ago when they had two elite NHL goaltenders and an top notch AHL goaltender in the system. The only "elite" goaltender in their ranks now is Markstrom's elite AHL play, which is part of why he's so damn befuddling.

Right now we have a younger, improving goalie who looks ready to be a #1 in Lack. We have an aging, below-average goalie on a massive contract with Ryan Miller. And we have a young, unproven goaltender who hasn't been able to put it together in the NHL in Jacob Markstrom.

The Canucks had great goaltending three years ago when they had two elite NHL goaltenders and an top notch AHL goaltender in the system. The only "elite" goaltender in their ranks now is Markstrom's elite AHL play, which is part of why he's so damn befuddling.

Except you do. You look at things as "glass half full" which is puzzling. Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack are quality starters when in net. Ryan did show glimpses in his first season in Vancouver of quality performances. When the defense got injured, he took a blow but thats not surprising.

Markstrom is unproven sure, but experience is what he lacks and you can't really use that against him until he has a string of starts in the NHL.

Thatcher Demko is going to be a beauty. Given time Joacim Eriksson does have the ability. This team is hardly hurting at that position. Elite goaltending? No. However, great goaltending? Yes.

From your reaction it seems like if someone gave you $20,000 you'd sigh and say "Well yeah but its all going to taxes". Lighten up, the situation is not bad at any level.

I get it, but it's nice that we don't really have to worry about acquiring goaltending from the outside. For many years the Canucks just couldn't get it right, revolving around Cloutier, Auld, Sanford, Hedberg, Raycroft, Sabourin and guys like that.

I'm not arguing that our goaltending couldn't be better, but it's somewhat a luxury in the NHL to be able to have a chance to decide on which goalie to trade because there's more than one that look promising.

Sure, Benning probably should never have signed Ryan Miller, but Eddie Lack, Jakob Markstrom, Joacim Eriksson and Thatcher Demko are very nice to have in the system.

Getting some offers in a keeper league I'm in.

I've been offered Markus Granlund, Michael Grabner, 1st Round 2015 and a 4th Round 2015 for Nikita Kucherov. I don't think I'm going to do it. Kuch has only been getting better.

That's tough. You'd then have assets to acquire more elsewhere. However, Kuch has been progressing great as you said.

Except you do. You look at things as "glass half full" which is puzzling. Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack are quality starters when in net. Ryan did show glimpses in his first season in Vancouver of quality performances. When the defense got injured, he took a blow but thats not surprising.

Markstrom is unproven sure, but experience is what he lacks and you can't really use that against him until he has a string of starts in the NHL.

Thatcher Demko is going to be a beauty. Given time Joacim Eriksson does have the ability. This team is hardly hurting at that position. Elite goaltending? No. However, great goaltending? Yes.

From your reaction it seems like if someone gave you $20,000 you'd sigh and say "Well yeah but its all going to taxes". Lighten up, the situation is not bad at any level.

Ryan Miller is no longer a quality starting goaltender in the NHL, this is a fact that you and many other hockey fans are straight up ignoring. His win totals were inflated by a 10-0 start where the Canucks where scoring four or five goals a game. He was still allowing two to three on a consistent basis, he just had incredible run support. Let me remind you that when Miller lost early in the season, he lost big. Like, five goals in one period big. His numbers in the 10 or so games leading up to his injury were atrocious. He ended up posting a .911 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA last season. Those aren't the numbers of a quality starter. Hell, those aren't even the numbers of an average starter. Now he's 34 years old and coming off of a severe knee injury. He was below-average this season, and he's going to continue trending downwards, and he's ridiculously overpaid at $6 million for two more years and is going to handicap this team with his play and with his cap hit unless he's moved.

Markstrom has played 50 games in the NHL, it's not like he's got five games spread out over the course of three years. I think he absolutely has all the tools, I'm questioning whether he has the toolbox/mental fortitude to be able to put it together handle the pressure at the NHL level. I'm not sold on that, not to the point where I'm moving the "sure thing" in Eddie Lack for a second rounder at best.

Thatcher Demko is 19 years old and still has at least another year of college before he even thinks about turning pro. Barring a miracle, it's not like he's going to just make the jump to the NHL either. Joacim Eriksson isn't even a good AHL goaltender and he's expected to go run and hide in Sweden this off-season. Joe Cannata isn't even on the radar. The Canucks have gone from maybe being the deepest team in the league in goaltending to the exact opposite of that in three years, and it looks more and more likely they're going to lose their best goalie for the third year in a row.

Edited by Sandro

Lack of conversation on Hawks being a modern dynasty is disappointing.

Yeah it's nice to see new teams win, but damn are the Hawks an elite playoff team.

Agreed.  They are also the 2nd team ever to beat 3 teams with 100+ points (I believe that's the stat anyways... although this should be easier to accomplish nowadays).

They play it the right way and get rewarded. I'm happy for them, because they seem like a classy bunch. Toews is this era's Yzerman.

They'll have to reload after 15-16', but the fact that they have already done that after both '10 and '13 speaks volumes to their front office's ability to find and develop talent.  That and, among other things, being able to keep a core of 7-8 guys through it all.

Kimmoooooooo!

Yes.

Edited by frescoelmo

The banners in that stadium tho

Then you go to Soldier's Field..............

If you haven't been to the UC yet, it is quite the experience.

Old soldier field was BA, hate the renovation they did to it.