Claimed:The Original Ten

Kendrick

The Original Ten

The next two weeks have been dubbed "Historic Weeks" in regards to the spotlight shown on our league over forty seasons of existence. The beauty of a theme like this is that the very old/historic members can give you the 411 on some of the earliest happenings of the Victory Hockey League's history. I feel like I personally have to do some justice as to the early period of this league and what I remember and still have planted in my brain. Some of our newer members may not know the following in this list but be sure they all shaped the league in some form or another. I introduce to you "The Original Ten" members who graced the land of the Victory Hockey League.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_7_18_09_PM.png

Kevin Brooks created the Victory Hockey League and it was one of his dreams to see this thing strive. Brooks was a great member with the ability to design a webpage and also put a creative spin on the cosmetic area of the webpage. Brooks is the first known Commish who helped the league through some dark times as well as some of the bets times in this league. It's a shame he is no longer around on the boards but he was always known for creating a great player in Maxim Desny (one of the first great goaltenders). Kevin created some washed up guys later on in his time before escaping into the horizon on a trusty steed. Cheers Kevin!

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_7_36_08_PM.png

Scotty Campbell may be the most recognizable name simply because many look at the record books straight away. Campbell set many Victory Hockey League records in his time here but he also had an impact elsewhere. "Scotty" was another one of the early Commissioners in the league and approved many rules that are still in effect to this day. His first created player is the great Scotty Campbell but he also created several players after that before fizzling out of the Victory Hockey League world. Campbell's last player on record is Leon Leitner who currently plays for the Toronto Legion, although Scotty hasn't been around to ensure his player makes a difference. For all the time he was in the Victory Hockey League, Scotty was a valuable member and we thank him for his efforts!

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_8_41_50_PM.png

You probably don't know who Brett Noiles is but you have to trust me that he made made a big impact on the league. Noiles was one of those solid members that could never be looked at for just one job that he held at any given time. Noiles was a General Manager, a Grader and at one point the brunt of a lot of jokes. If you have never heard of the phrase "Get Bent Noiles" then you probably aren't as old in VHL terms as you may think. Noiles was Scotty Campbell's best buddy and where Scotty went so did Brett. Go back in history and search Brett Noiles to create yourself some pleasant nostalgia or better yet, some laughs.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_8_40_50_PM.png

Slobo is known around the Victory Hockey League for demonstrating one of the hardest working attitudes and best work ethics this league has seen. Brett has been a General Manager, Updater, Grader and a Hall of Famer throughout his history. We are blessed to have him with us to this day with his current player playing on the Helsinki Titans. Slobo is so old in VHL terms that they used to be the Helsinki Frostbite when he entered the league. There were a couple stints where Slobo wasn't part of our community and his lack of presence was felt heavily. Not one to shy away from putting every ounce of effort he has into writing the perfect Media Spot for the board to read. Thanks for all his contributions to every section of the forum for the past 7 years and counting!

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_8_50_33_PM.png

Bob McCown was created to help this league explore it's creativity and have it's own news source for articles and stories from around the league. Sadly the Bob McCown personality fell by the wayside when the league prospered more from various stories put forward by it's everyday members. How sad was the Bob McCown experiment? When considered ol' Bob had only twelve posts altogether, it shows that he wasn't as committed to the Victory Hockey League as he is with being paid by the Sportsnet outlets. If one positive came from Bob, it was that to this day we still have Fan 590's pouring in every day for a solid 1 TPE haul. However we have to sign off this paragraph by saying "Thanks for nothing Bob!"

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_9_01_41_PM.png

CFLStyle was one of the founding fathers of the Victory Hockey League, although not as prominent as some of the others. Known to most by his real name Jeff Krever, CFLStyle was very vocal about his love for the Buffalo Bills and the Toronto Argonauts. Krever was a General Manager back in his day before he moved on and thought he was bigger than the world by creating the second rate SHL. As far as we know Krever is out of the Sim League game now and focused on his life as a diehard Bills fan. 

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_9_31_34_PM.png

Jay Bris will live on as another one of those original members who simply did it all or at least did it behind the scenes. Bris doesn't stand out with any player being above average or Hall of Fame worthy but he was a solid board member. Bris was like Krever in the fact he came from a previous league we all frequented in and left around the same time Krever did as well. Before you say something about the above picture, just know that that was Bris' only signature he ever wore and it was god awful. It is a very out of focus picture of former Montreal Canadiens forward Guillaume Latendresse. Jay will also always be known for the worst avatar in Victory Hockey League history; it was a .gif of Pierre McGuire "raising the roof".

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_10_06_53_PM.pn

Besides having one of the best usernames on the site, Aiden was one of the best members the early era of the Victory Hockey League had. Alexander strived to improve with his graphics and almost twice a week posted a graphic for "CNC". Aiden Alexander the player was a good player who didn't quite reach great status but was a fixture with the Helsinki Titans and Toronto Legion. Rumpleforeskin went on to create the great hitting forward in Peter Payne. Payne was one of the crowd favourites around the league because every year you had to watch out for him behind the flow of play. If we find Rumple we will be sure to bring him back here to see how far we've come!

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_10_13_34_PM.pn

Oh the infamous PensFan makes it on the first ten! It shouldn't be a surprise that the creator of the worst franchise in Victory Hockey League history makes it on this list. Lucas thought he struck gold when he joined the league and won a championship in the very first season of it's existence. Sadly though he held onto the team much too long and it started to fizzle into disappointment very fast. Lucas had some crazy fascination with the Swedish hockey team based in Vasteras, Sweden. The even more puzzling part is that every other franchise created had a General Manager who had a form of creativity. Lucas however decided to bring his love for a "2nd Tier" real life hockey team from Sweden into our presence from the get go. Tannehill created some above average players but none that really shaped the Victory Hockey League from the early stages. Besides his failure to be creative he will always be known for always wanted to go to Vasteras with whatever player he re-created with. If my information is correct he is friends with both Tyler Edgar and Greg Harbinson. Thanks (but no thanks) for creating Vasteras Lucas!

Screen_Shot_2014_09_17_at_10_21_09_PM.pn

Well we arrive at number ten and I guess it's fitting that I round this group out. Back in the early stages of the Victory Hockey League I was asked to create a team and manage them from the get go. I went ahead and created the Seattle Everblades who eventually became the Seattle Bears. My resume is kind of all over the place in the league in which I came into right after graduating high school. I've been a Grader, Updater, General Manager, Commissioner and among other things just a community member. I've enjoyed well over seven years of my life to have some fun on the board. I've been involved in fights, arguments, debates, bannings and of course the pleasure of earning the most TPE of all-time. I can honestly say that everyone of the members here has engaged me and allowed me to enjoy myself in some form of another. Since day one I've only ever missed one week of PT's and I can attest to the fact hard work can sometimes reward you in the end. Here is to another seven years!

Content: 3/3 This was an epic write up. It's good for people who are new to learn about the first 10 members. It's crazy that there are still 2 left. Of course everyone moves on but this was great work again.

Grammar: 2/2 Nothing to note

Appearance: 1/1

Final: 6/6 (12/12 doubled)

• Admin

Unlocked for awesomeness.

Bris was on the SHL (this version) ever so briefly (like a season) and was on one of Manship's leagues which I got recruited to from where I found the VHL. Seems like someone who fizzes out really quickly.

Shame I missed being in the top 10, would have liked the write up haha. Still joined day 1, just not quite early enough.

I can do next week on the best of the rest in the top 25/50.

• 2 months later...