Where have I been?

Laine

It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry for taking so long to get back, but life has been an absolute rollercoaster ride over the last few months. However, it is about time I say hello once again VHL. I'm not going to make any promises about staying active and anything of the sort, considering how my last promise went....I'm starting to look like the streaky scorer Laine in terms of activity! Anyway, my bad jokes aside, what has old Laine been up to?

Well, for starters, I am officially legal. I celebrated my 18th birthday back in May with my friends, girlfriend, and family. I even got a chance to have my first beer! I can't say it was a taste I was used to, it's still taking some time but it was rather cool! I got my beginner's license for driving a few weeks earlier as well, and continued to work hard through high school.

School has been pretty wild. I got nominated to my school division's senior honour band and got to take part in a two-day workshop! IT WAS A BLAST! The road to graduation was a long one, but it is complete. I am officially a high school graduate! I hate to brag but since I'm talking about this, I might as well brag. I ended up graduating with a 94.0% average, as well as winning a second semester bursary ($300, and 4 bursaries + 1600 total in the last 2 years), honours in Band/Jazz Band, as well as honour roll, and won a host of awards (one for a mix of citizenship, academics, and athletics, a book award, and I believe one other I can't remember) We got to have an in-person graduation as well! I got to walk across the stage to grab my diploma, with many good friends (looking at you @JigglyGumballs), my girlfriend, and family all there to celebrate!

Speaking of relationships, my relationship with my girlfriend is still going very strong. It was her birthday today and I treated her to a really nice gift and some quality time! It was amazing! We'll officially hit 8 months on Friday, which is promising considering this is my first relationship. She helped me a lot during school, and I did the same for her. She really does make me feel like the happiest guy in existence every day.

Speaking more about school, I also have made my choice in regards to a post-secondary institution. I have received a lot of advice and skills from my teachers, peers, and friends (even a VHL member helped me the most, you know who you are)  👀. I'll be taking some certification(s) in the fall before heading off to college in January, and I owe it to a lot of people as for why I got to this point in my life with success.

In an off-topic, the summer has been interesting. I've begun working out again and taking care of my body, while also getting involved in getting my WSI for Lifeguarding and becoming a Swim Instructor. I've also gotten into twitch streaming if anyone wants to watch me, it is linked in my discord.

It's been a while, but I'm glad I could finally share what I've been up to with you all. It does suck that I've been active so long, and I want to try and be active again, but life is moving so fast that I unfortunately can't make any promises. Even if I am not active in the league, if anyone wants to just chat, about anything, my DMs will always be open!

Much love VHL!

- Laine

P.S - Hi @Spaz, I miss you buddy ❤️

Edited by Laine

1 hour ago, Laine said:

School has been pretty wild. I got nominated to my school division's senior honour band and got to take part in a two-day workshop! IT WAS A BLAST!

What do you play? I was able to play trumpet through college--would certainly recommend even if it's not what you're studying!

16 hours ago, Gustav said:

What do you play? I was able to play trumpet through college--would certainly recommend even if it's not what you're studying!

In Concert Band, just general percussion instruments (Snare Drum, Timpani, Cymbals, and Marimba were my best ones)

In Jazz Band, I play drum set but also know how to play bass guitar