S84 Captains and Bonus Fun

jacobcarson877

I’ve been tossing around the idea of doing team awards this season but with the amount of roster turnover this season it would be hard to come to any satisfying conclusion based on such limited sample sizes. What I will do instead is take a page out of @KaleebtheMighty ‘s book and do some Marlins to NHL comparables.

Phil Strasmore - @Phil - Cale Makar

Phil is an overall dominant defenceman in every measurable metric. Scoring above a point a game, and working hard on both ends of the ice, Strasmore’s ceiling is anywhere from a top pairing D to a top 5 D in the league. Phil is also a strong leader and trains as hard as anyone, despite the ongoing changes of life.

John Jameson - @Frank - Steven Stamkos

A dominant offensive talent with a real nose for the net. Jameson came into San Diego ready to turn the ship around and get us back to our winning ways. Coming in to be an immediate leader, both on and off the ice, Jameson represents the Marlins identity.

Babay Shrimp - @Blazzer - Adrian Kempe

Babay Shrimp is a solid top-6 forward that can play under any circumstances. One of those players that teams always need more of, and I think Shrimp could have been a huge piece in a Marlins playoff run in an ideal world. They give me the vibes of someone who would score a cup-winning goal.

Sjin - @Mint - Cole Sillinger

An exciting rookie, taking advantage of a shallow roster and lots of ice time. Sjin spent their short tenure as a Marlin dishing pucks to anyone willing to shoot the puck. There is a lot to be excited about with Sjin and they could be a very important middle-6 center for a contender next season. Can drive offence by himself and can take advantage of other offensive talent.

Lloyd Braun - @Toast - Shea Theodore

A master of playmaking that also has a sneaky shot. Solid defensive presence and can eat a lot of important minutes. Pair Braun with a set of strong scoring forwards and watch them rack up the points. Definitely an underrated talent, and I’m excited to see how they fare at the VHL level.

Franklin Franklinsen - @Franklin - Dmitri Kulikov

It seems like we know what Franklinsen is by now. Having gone IA at the time of writing this, I hope to be wrong, since Franklin had a strong impact this season with the Marlins. Strong offensive talents, and consistently made strong choices to drive offense up the ice

Sadie St-Louis - @sadie - Cole Caufield

Coming out this season with guns blazing, St-Louis has been on an absolute tear since joining the league. A dominant TPE earner, and seeing the results on the ice already, Sadie looks to be a top scoring option for any team heading into next season.

Alfred Champagne – @Anthique - Jason Robertson

Champagne had a good start with the Marlins, but by the end of the season, they emerged as a top offensive threat. Shooting regularly and successfully, while adding some physicality to the mix. A really important member of any line, if they can get some more shooting luck, they could be a perennial 40-goal scorer.

Bedirhan Paard - @Bedirhan - Nils Hoglander

Bedirhan is always trying the hardest out of anyone on the ice. The ceiling for this player is high, once they settle into the day to day of the VHL. There is a lot of excitement about this player and for good reason. They had a strong debut with the Marlins and will be looking to build on that next season.

John Richards - @John Cimarno - Ondrej Palat

Another one of those really underrated players that every lineup needs. Can play anywhere, and fits onto any line. With a bit more offensive consistency, this player can be a core piece for any contender. Lots of passion and work ethic with this player as well, and will likely be a steal at the VHLM Draft.

Don Aven - @Novanod - Dylan Cozens

There is still a lot we don’t know about Don Aven yet, but a lot to be excited for. As they settle into the league as a strong centreman and an offensive option, their training has been strong and well-rounded. Look for them to carve a specific role in the league next season and come forward with a strong identity.

Sigma Freud - @CODENAMEJIMMY - Victor Mete

Has all of the tools needed to be a top defenseman in this league, and with consistent training and some more game experience, I think Freud can become a strong VHL defenseman. There should be loads of opportunity available next season for an eager defenseman so filling that role will be important for any team looking to compete. Freud needs to continue to prove that they are the perfect option, and I have no doubt that they will have a successful campaign next season.

Charis Tonle - @TxtBammer - Tobias Bjornfot

Hasn’t proven to us yet that there is huge offensive upside, but can be a very valuable defensive and physical asset. Probably a second pairing defenseman in a standard draft, but will likely have to punch above their weight next season in order to find major success. Look for an increase in training and some strong focus on playing both ends of the ice.

Ben Dover - @ぞソしeれ - Artturi Lehkonen

An incredibly well-rounded player, good at both ends of the ice. Can be a strong depth offensive piece, while also maintaining strong team defense in the process. Another one of those essential middle-6 pieces that win you championships. Consistency will be important this offseason and taking advantage of those opportunities to earn will be crucial to carve out a spot in the VHL.

Vincent Laroche-Gagnier - @vincentlg2007 - Dominik Kubalik

Vincent is a pure offensive winger. Lots of investment on one end of the ice, not much on the other end. Take this into consideration when placing Vincent in your lineup and you can see a great deal of success, otherwise there are a lot of risks. If Laroche-Gagnier can invest a bit into the defensive game, this could be a real gem of a player down the stretch. Excited to see what becomes of this player who has the assets to be a star, but needs to grow into the gritty VHL game.

Ray Hagen - @CreamTeam - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

Another one of those players where it looks like we know what they are at this point. Useful as a depth center, but otherwise don’t look for much upside here. Put up some points when it mattered and maintained a strong physical presence during their time here in San Deigo.

Babe Baptista - @BabeBaptista - Daniel Sprong

Looking to finally hit that stride, after what looked to be an exciting start to a career. This is a crucial time to figure out whether they will be a valuable player or simply additional depth at the bottom of a lineup. Hopefully we can see more from this player next season, potentially with a larger opportunity.

Karl Pedersen - @JeffD - Cal Petersen

Really strong upside, and took advantage of a much better team after departing San Deigo. They look to be a solid starting goaltender in the future, and are already taking the steps to get there. Was simply too strong of a piece to keep around on a rebuilding Marlins squad, and recouping assets on a top pick was a top priority for me this season.

Alexander Minion - @Minion - John Gibson

An absolutely amazing technical goaltender, who got stuck with a huge workload and a poor defensive team in front of them. On a contender, Minion will be able to contend for awards and I hope they get that opportunity next season. Look for them to be a diamond in the rough pick this upcoming draft, with a large amount of goaltenders available.

Lachlan Summers - @kirbithan - Thatcher Demko

Has all of the tools necessary to become a top goaltender in this league. The drive, the work ethic and the commitment to doing the right things day in and day out will be essential to find a spot amongst a goaltender-heavy class. Although their statistics weren’t incredible in their debut this season with the Marlins, they should look significantly stronger on a deeper contending team.

With that, we have every player who played for the Marlins this season and their NHL equivalency.

I thought it would be fun to also name some post-season Captains, as a sort of recognition for the various players involved in this tumultuous yet rewarding season.

C – John Jameson

A simple choice for me, the embodiment of what it means to be a Marlin, and considering the Legacy Frank has had with the franchise, it is only fair to recognize the efforts both as a player and a person.

A – Sadie St-Louis

An absolute force in the locker room, a dominant scorer and earner, and a real star in the making coming in from this recent recruitment drive. Sadie has made every effort to connect with the league, teammates, and themselves this season.

A – Lachlan Summers

For many of the same reasons as Sadie above, Lachlan has proven in a short time just how much impact a brand-new member can bring to a locker room. Despite only getting a few games started this season, Summers has embraced the league and everything it takes to be an amazing member. Earning as much as possible right from the start and creating a lot of exciting works in the process, the Marlins identity runs strong through them.

And with that we end the San Diego Marlins season. Thank you to all of the players of course, and to all of the GMs that I got to interact with on a day-to-day basis. Good luck to the Las Vegas Aces and the Halifax 21st in the final series of this playoffs, and I look forward to doing this thing all over again in a few weeks! This will be a season to remember for me, not from team success of course, but from all of the things I’ve learned and all of the great people that were a part of it.