S85 New York Americans: The Tale of a Broken Curse

thadthrasher

S85 New York Americans: The Tale of a Broken Curse

4Th Of July America GIF by DrSquatch

It's been a rather long time since the New York Americans have won the Continental Cup. In fact, the last time that the cup was lifted by New York's roster was 31 seasons ago in S53. Much of the current roster were not even alive the last time New York won the cup. To most people around the Victory Hockey League, the Americans are a cursed team, likely to never see the cup again. Yet, they couldn't be more wrong. Changes have occurred in New York, and a bright future lay ahead of the Americans.

After some incredible moves made by interim General Manager @frescoelmo during S84 and the pre-season of S85, the New York Americans officially hired @thadthrasher to take over the reigns, who decided immediately to keep frescoelmo on as his Assistant General Manager. The duo deliberated tactics, analyzed previous trades, and looked forward to the upcoming S85. Both of them feel as though there is a strong chance that the New York Americans will taste some playoff hockey this season. When asked why the two felt this way, thadthrasher stated, "you really have to know the guys in the locker room to understand. They are all hungry for something big, and given the negative image that New York currently has they are eager to be the ones who make New York shine. We were able to pick up some veteran players in big trades and Free Agency signings, and our younger players are learning quickly from the veterans. It really is a system that is coming all together to produce something amazing, something that the VHL hasn't seen out of New York for a long time."

Below you'll find an important announcement from thadthrasher himself.

---

Thank you all for taking the time to read over this important announcement. As we hunker down for the season and begin to prepare for opening day hockey, frescoelmo and I have been analyzing and interviewing our current roster to determine who would and should be leadership this season. So, without further delay, allow me to introduce you to the New York American's S85 leadership, all of which are defensemen!

Captain

Spoiler

Sven Eightnine @BarzalGoat

Eightnine was one of the few players to return to New York's roster after last season. He had an impressive season last year, leading the team with 59 points and an astounding 208 shots blocked. This performance on the ice awarded him the Jake Wylde Trophy for S84, making him the first New York American to win this award since S72's Lance Flowers @CowboyinAmerica. That, coupled with his fire and passion in the locker room made him an easy choice for captain this season. We are hopeful that he will spark something in our players every game, and even when things get tough we know he'll lift his head high, proud to be an American.

Alternate #1

Spoiler

Malum Maellard @frescoelmo

Maellard comes to us this season after a great season in the VHLE with the Cologne Express where he earned 61 points, mostly in assists. What drove us to this decision was the tenacity that this kid has. He walks into a room and commands respect, and that's not something you see everyday with these young players, especially a rookie. We figured it would be good to match him with a veteran presence like Eightnine who will hopefully increase his leadership ability and show him the ropes of leading. We know that Maellard is like a sponge and will soak it all in, and we're excited to see how this pairing will work out.

Alternate #2

Spoiler

Poopy Peepants @JardyB10

Peepants was one of our FA signings this off-season, coming to us from the Dragons. While he may not have played any games in New York, he is a veteran player with a ton of experience around the league. What he lacks in familiarity with the New York organization he makes up for in grit, hunger, and pure unadulterated aggression when squaring up against opposing teams. Our hope here is that his veteran presence, combined with a new perspective may help him to lead New York to victory this season.

First, I congratulate these three on their assignments. Their captaincy will be an important piece in our adventure to end the curse in New York. I am hopeful that my time in New York will be productive, and I'm confident that with these three men helping to lead on the ice, we can do what many believe is impossible, win the cup. Their insight will be crucial, and their input will be valued. They know the men that skate alongside them better than I ever could, and that knowledge is incredibly important.

This season in New York will be a great one, I can feel it in my bones. So, I salute you, Americans. Here's to a new season, new leadership, new management, and the breaking of a curse!

---

822 words, claiming week ending 11 September 2022

Why on earth did anyone vote for Poopy over Mourning? Absolute nonsense

Still, I’m pleased to have a letter, even if it’s undeserved! It might be Poopy’s first one, so we’ll see how this new state of affairs pans out 👀

10 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

Why on earth did anyone vote for Poopy over Mourning? Absolute nonsense

Still, I’m pleased to have a letter, even if it’s undeserved! It might be Poopy’s first one, so we’ll see how this new state of affairs pans out 👀

It must be something in the water in NY...