Jardy's Nodesode #36: Questions rPt. 1 also Lazy Trivia Take

JardyB10

*LISTENER DISCRETION ADVISED*

F words.

In today's episode, I answer questions from @Phil, including topics around Poopy's career, child discipline, animals, and vacations I guess. I also give a late and half-baked take on @Ricer13's bitching about @Dil and trivia or whatever. I don't know if I really mention either of those people. 

@Gustav

@jacobcarson877

Enjoy!

Edited by JardyB10

Hilarious that people think I was sneaking into locker rooms like a spy or something 😂 

I asked for Ricer to delete the answers he had saved in his LR, he responded with NO… so I asked for someone in the LR to send a screenshot to see the extent of how many there was to see if it was even worth pursuing…

"fisting bowls of milk" oh my god my sides, I'm dying.

I think trivia would be more compelling to learn about if the stakes felt higher during the season and off-season. I wasn't around at the time, but I suspect that in the earlier seasons the championships and personal awards felt like a bigger deal. The second part of it is that the research is cryptic and tedious. If not for the cheat sheet media spot that @MubbleFubbles wrote back in April, I'd probably never do trivia because I wouldn't know where to look. I don't think there's a good way to consolidate all of the historical information beyond what's currently in place, but it's a daunting task for new players or less tech-savvy users. If I were a more ambitious person with more free time, it would be cool to track if this impacts trivia submission rates and/or if it leads to an uptick in other supplemental point task submissions.

Hopefully Peepants can get the awards you're after in their last season, I think you've definitely got a build that could do it (Obvs it's not meta but I don't neccessarily think defensemen need to be with how hybrid attributes are) so provided the support cast is good enough, I don't see why you couldn't. All I ask is that if it's @Shindigsat number two, let him overtake you. 

Dogs 100%

So funnily enough, I actually didn't originally submit the podcast not cause of the audio quality, but cause I just thought the content was kinda shit since I felt like I was getting a bit lost in my points. I will look into improving the audio quality next time though. I had been using the dashboard as a place for my phone to rest on my last few, but I might see if I can record while on lock screen and put it in my top shirt pocket, might make for less rattling. I used to use earphones as a mic when I'd upload to soundcloud but anchor barely registers them which sucks (think Berocka had a similar issue in the past). 

Yeah I was always someone who would give the link for trivia when I would more regularly do it around the early-S60's. I remember there was a point where me, Eno and I think McWolf had a little system where we'd all deliberately ask for different questions (back when it was asking for questions 1,2 or 3) so we could provide links to help for the respective questions. And then at some point answers just started to be just put out there (I think it was when we moved to Google Forms, which I guess is my fault cause I suggested it to Victor haha) and I was also surprised when that was allowed, but I agree with it stopping. 

9 minutes ago, ctots said:

I don't think there's a good way to consolidate all of the historical information beyond what's currently in place, but it's a daunting task for new players or less tech-savvy users.

Yeah I agree that it would be difficult to put together all the information needed for trivia in a compact enough place that a new member could just walk into trivia and be OK without direction. I do think we could potentially take steps that could help make it easier though, primarily utilizing sub-forums a bit more (E.g. I've seen enough members confused about the Season 1 Draft question and the Season 75 awards question that it would make sense to make a sub-forum for both draft conversations in the draft area, so that the last topic when you go to Drafts is the Season 1 Draft and not the S35 Discussion Thread, and for Award Ceremonies in the VSN area) 

1 hour ago, Dil said:

Hilarious that people think I was sneaking into locker rooms like a spy or something 😂 

I asked for Ricer to delete the answers he had saved in his LR, he responded with NO… so I asked for someone in the LR to send a screenshot to see the extent of how many there was to see if it was even worth pursuing…

tumblr_mcgsudSAry1qdyrbwo9_250.gif

57 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

I also have no issues with anyone being in my LR including mods. Theres a lot more context to the story but who cares at this point. The situation should have been handled better, end of story! 

Also, Phil is a legend.

You both need to just let me supply the rhetoric without knowing context or doing any sort of background or foreground research whatsoever, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I don’t get views for ACCURATE INFORMATION, the people want to see BLOOD AND GUTS!

57 minutes ago, MubbleFubbles said:

So funnily enough, I actually didn't originally submit the podcast not cause of the audio quality, but cause I just thought the content was kinda shit since I felt like I was getting a bit lost in my points.

First of all, how dare you, my entire existence in communication is getting lost in points.

Second of all, yeah it seemed like it may have been a mic issue or some such. The background noise is one thing, but even so I had my truck speakers at full volume. The shirt pocket might be a clever idea. I personally just drive with one hand and hold the phone in the other like a degenerate. But, as I demonstrated in this episode, that’s not really a safe or comfortable thing to do if you’re city driving and not just cruising down a straight highway.

8 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I personally just drive with one hand and hold the phone in the other like a degenerate. But, as I demonstrated in this episode, that’s not really a safe or comfortable thing to do if you’re city driving and not just cruising down a straight highway.

Ah, well I definitely couldn't do that since we have pretty severe penalties here for using handheld phones while driving and, as someone who has to drive for a living, don't think I'll be sacrificing that for VHL podcasting any time soon 😆

Honestly I have an opinion, but not an extreme opinion, on the answer sharing stuff. I don't have a problem with it but if the league got together and decided to formally ban it I wouldn't blow up over that.

Like you said, it would help if everyone were on the same page. The fact that it was decided somewhere along the way to make a rule, not announce it, and then start enforcing it as if we knew it were on the books is far more BS than any for/against sharing opinion. If that happens in one case and everyone is fine with it, what's stopping it from happening again in a more serious situation? I also feel somewhat obligated as someone with a decent league job to point out this stuff when it happens, because it might not be taken as seriously from someone less established (speaking generally in this case; I don't mean to say that Ricer is a lesser member than me or whatever).

At the end of the day it is what it is and I'm glad the thread managed to get its point across. 

• JardyB10 changed the title to Jardy's Nodesode #36: Questions rPt. 1 also Lazy Trivia Take