Standing in the Way of Control (Mod Mentality Continued)

Tate

For those of who you may be unaware, I have recently engaged in a polarizing debate against the current Mod team, specifically the ideals of their leadership.  I implore any of you that may have interest in the long-term health of our league to check out my podcast post, Mod Mentality (link below):

I wanted to use my dot.com article this week to highlight why I believe it is so important to stand up for what you believe in.  I want people to understand how serious I am taking this initiative to speak out, and how badly I want to draw attention to what I feel is an extremely important issue within our league.  The following information I have pulled from the web and edited to keep it as concise and clear as possible.  I will have also fulfilled my one-hundred-and-fifty-word count by the time you begin reading the text below.  I welcome all feedback.  Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween!

Speak Stand Up GIF by INTO ACTION

Let's start now with a question:  “How many times have you sat back and stayed silent even if you didn’t believe in what was being said or done?”

If you have, I don’t blame you, it’s easier to keep your own ideas to yourself. You don’t risk getting put down, feeling judged, or becoming an outcast.

But what if the one idea you have can change everything for the better?

Better World Globe GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

It is for that reason that you shouldn't keep it to yourself, and instead, stand up for what you believe in.

So the next question you might ask yourself is how you do it?  Before we talk about that, let's stay on why it's so important:

1.    It builds respect

This goes two ways. Sticking up for what you believe in builds your self-respect because you’re following through with your values. Standing your ground also gains respect from others, even if they view things differently than you. Just having the guts to stand up for yourself or others will show what kind of person you are. 

2.    You will gain confidence

At first, standing up for your beliefs isn’t the easiest task. You may be doubt yourself, you may hesitate, and your words might not come out just right (like the prepared speech you have in your head). But the more you do it, the better you’ll get and the more confidence you’ll gain. You’ll be more willing to step out of your comfort zone in uncomfortable situations.

3.    It helps you discover who you are

When you just go along with what others say, you’re letting them take control over a piece of your life. You’re allowing them to dictate how you should do or say something, even how you should think. This may sound drastic but every little thing that you sit back on impacts your life. By standing up for what you believe in, you’re expressing who you are and what you want out of life. Even if your ideas don’t change a thing, you are still putting your real, unique self out there. 

mixed drink drinking GIF by bubly

So, let’s finally talk about how you can implement this strategy in your life.

1.    Figure out what you believe in

Before you stand up for what you believe in, you have to know what it is that you believe in! It sounds simple enough but when we sit back and let others take over, we sometimes forget or lose sight of who we really are. When you have a quiet moment to yourself, think about the following questions.

What is important to me?

What am I passionate about?

What motivates me?

What are my core values?

2.    Let go of your fears about what people think of you

This is a tough one. When standing up for yourself, you have got to let go of your fears of what people think about you. 

3.    Don’t doubt yourself

Sometimes when you stand up for yourself, there will be people who try to change your mind or put you down. Always keep your beliefs in mind. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to hear others out and listen to their point of view. But that doesn’t mean you have to change what you believe in.

4.    Keep doing it

We know that staying in your cozy shell doing your own thing is comfortable, but you have the power to change things for the better when you allow yourself to break out of your comfort zone and stand up for what you believe in. You’ll build respect for yourself, gain confidence, and discover who you really are. It may not be easy at first but it’s quite simple to do. Start by finding out what your beliefs are, let go of your fears, quit doubting yourself, and keep practicing. 

(160 words written by author)

24 minutes ago, v.2 said:

Is that an ad

Do you mean my article? Just trying to send a message to everyone to not hold back just because they’re friends with the Mod Team. 

I think all members of the team are great, but that doesn’t mean that what they’ve been doing is right. 

There is an opportunity to speak up here and not let this just get brushed under the rug. I do really feel it’s important, which is why I’ve done all that I’ve done.