Serious Focus on Recruiting

Mike

The league is very cyclical in nature teams go into rebuild mode then go into win mode.  The length of a VHL players career maxes at 8 seasons while it could also last only 1 or anywhere else in between.  My point is we are now at the point where S28 into S29 draft players are retiring and recreating or leaving the league and not recreating.  If we look to the S28 draft class most of those players have already taken that route to go into this draft class Sullivan (GM), Evans (season b4), Athera, Gow, and etc.  Rybak, Labatte, and Larsson are the only 3 left I believe that are active that will be heading into the S36 draft class.

The S29 draft class though coming up is one of the worst drafts like ever with the 2 best players being GM players in Marcellin and Wozniak and those are both recreating GM players.  Other players of mention in that draft like the other Gow and Corco have already also done the recreate path.  Which means moving forward with the S36 and S37 draft classes specifically we are going to need a good deal of first gen players or previously semi-active players coming back to give the VHL another shot.

If we bring in new players now they still go into the S35 draft which is fine b/c any new players we bring in is great but once the deadline rolls around this season and we can start to declare for S36 draft we have to as a community start to really go out and recruit new members.

It's hard to recruit hardcore for a sim league because it's such a niche thing. It's hard to find a crowd to appeal to outside of connecting with other sim leagues or hockey forums.

That's totally fine but think about it I guarantee you there is a shit load of potential members that haven't yet even heard of us.  We've posted before specifically on main pages such as HFBoards or OOTP but then they all link to other communities as well.  You can search in google a similar thing related to our hockey league a ton of different ways and find new communities to target.  We also have to be thinking outside the box we always go back to the same places but there are a ton of other simulation things like GoalLineBlitz and FIFA communities you can't tell me those soccer management hugely popular game doesn't have a similar niche market as what we are looking for.  I just typed in for the sake of argument hockey simulation league into google and it takes me to whatifsports which has a large active community, prosportsdaily, nsimhl, simhl, websimhockey, fhlsim, and the list goes on and on for pages and pages.

I tried to lead the recruitment thing for a while and we did some nice things I think the facebook page that Devise has been running was the best new thing that came out as well as the mass e-mails I had been sending to bring back older players.  At its core though all we have to do is reach out to these other communities and become members ourself to get credibility or partner with them as affiliates and I couldn't ever find anyone else willing to contribute in that way.

It's hard to recruit hardcore for a sim league because it's such a niche thing. It's hard to find a crowd to appeal to outside of connecting with other sim leagues or hockey forums.

This. But to an extent Mike is right. I was floating around the internet and found a site Krever made with Brooks. There are more like me out there

We need to focus on something to be the reference in the web. If you can give something that no one can give like us, we can get new members.

Idea : Build a solid render gallery with many updates

Build a NHL GM league inside VHL (so a be a pro league plus a GM league )

Create our own website (more like a long term idea) and find a way to automate the sim (need some serious coding but I don't know if this is possible)

More ideas to come

Build a NHL GM league inside VHL (so a be a pro league plus a GM league )

This we actually did, they fail and actually cluttered our boards

Im thinking we should try to post on facebook walls of pages like TSN or ESPN and try to get a group of people who have never been exposed to a sim setting, and getting them to try something new. Although the potential return may not be seen right away with this, long term it could work out big time, as if we get say 10-15 members this way, and 7 say interested. These 7 who have found something new and interesting to be apart of are more likely to tell more people, especially as they feel more comfortable around the borders.

Next thing I say which is huge is we need to make new members feel more wanted and needed when they arrive. We should have maybe a member or two assigned to a couple new members and continuously PM them, ask them how they like the league if they need help and pretty much befriend them so they feel like they fit in right away. A big hand in this would need to be the VHLM GMs. We should enforce/encourage the idea of continuously checking in with ALL, read that ALL members of their team. So that older members don't lose interest, and new members feel more welcomed.

We could get 2383490123901420394923490234 members but the key is to get as many as them possible to STAY and become members rather than, create a player, feel separated, get bored, leave.

Im thinking we should try to post on facebook walls of pages like TSN or ESPN and try to get a group of people who have never been exposed to a sim setting, and getting them to try something new. Although the potential return may not be seen right away with this, long term it could work out big time, as if we get say 10-15 members this way, and 7 say interested. These 7 who have found something new and interesting to be apart of are more likely to tell more people, especially as they feel more comfortable around the borders.

Next thing I say which is huge is we need to make new members feel more wanted and needed when they arrive. We should have maybe a member or two assigned to a couple new members and continuously PM them, ask them how they like the league if they need help and pretty much befriend them so they feel like they fit in right away. A big hand in this would need to be the VHLM GMs. We should enforce/encourage the idea of continuously checking in with ALL, read that ALL members of their team. So that older members don't lose interest, and new members feel more welcomed.

We could get 2383490123901420394923490234 members but the key is to get as many as them possible to STAY and become members rather than, create a player, feel separated, get bored, leave.

This. I've been sharing the link on NHL 14 and Simulation Pages and such. However, you bring up a great point. TSN, ESPN and other networks would work!

Also is anyone an admin of the VHL group on Facebook? Might want to validate people who have asked to join in hopes of recruiting. I'm not in it either

Say what?

There is a VHL Group on Facebook. It's a closed group that allows guys to talk in it. The admin is not validating anyone, which basically means the group is capped at 44 people.

There is a VHL Group on Facebook. It's a closed group that allows guys to talk in it. The admin is not validating anyone, which basically means the group is capped at 44 people.

https://www.facebook.com/VictoryHockeyLeague

This is the official VHL Facebook if you are talking about anything specifically related to this I still don't know what you are talking about.