VHLM TPE Cap Changes Coming

sterling

The Board of Governors has seemingly hit an impasse in deliberations regarding proposed changes to the VHLM Cap limit for prospects. One camp is reportedly in favour of a more complex banking system while another appears to favour a simpler hard cap cut-off date and possible increase to the TPE Cap from 175 to 200. With the recent additions of TPE options for newer members and the increased desire of prospects to stay in the minors after their VHL entry draft, there appears to be a need for some changes. The hard cap date is said to be under mostly universal agreement currently, but discussion has all but fallen into the gutter as talks have apparently broken off.

So VHL, what's your take on the proposed changes? Should we look at implementing a banking system in conjunction with a hard cap date? Or should we look to create the hard cap date alone? Or should we create the cap date and the bump the cap up to 200?

Can we hold off on implementation so that S33 guys(yes, selfish) don't get hit with this AND the player store changes in consecutive seasons?

I slightly favor the banking system though.

No, this was created to screw boom

• Senior Admin

How would this hurt S33'ers (or anyone)?

I'd be in favour of setting a cutoff date similar to the cutoff date for salary brackets, where offseason TPE such as prediction points and training camps aren't taken into account. If that is done, I'm don't think an increase in the actual TPE cap would be necessary when you deduct predictions/training but if it was then 200 seems to be a fair number.

However, if nobody was allowed to update attributes past 175 (but bank any tpe over that), that could help with VHLM parity between first gens and recreates. So I suppose I would be in favour of that as well. I assume something along those lines is what you mean when you say complex banking system.

I would also consider the possibility of limiting the incentive to stay in the VHLM for subsequent seasons. 

I'd be in favour of setting a cutoff date similar to the cutoff date for salary brackets, where offseason TPE such as prediction points and training camps aren't taken into account. If that is done, I'm don't think an increase in the actual TPE cap would be necessary when you deduct predictions/training but if it was then 200 seems to be a fair number.

However, if nobody was allowed to update attributes past 175 (but bank any tpe over that), that could help with VHLM parity between first gens and recreates. So I suppose I would be in favour of that as well. I assume something along those lines is what you mean when you say complex banking system.

I would also consider the possibility of limiting the incentive to stay in the VHLM for subsequent seasons.

Devise multi

What if you are one of those people that don't want to be spending extra season down in the minors. This rule would just keep more people in the VHLM and less in the VHL.

People generally want to stay in minors to:

- Win an award

- Win a Founder's Cup

- Dominate

- Afraid that their player will suck so bad they won't have any shot at ROTY, thus they build up their TPE totals.

Maybe just make it 175-200 TPE, and you can choose if you want to go up if you're within that range or something. And if you're above you have to go up. Don't know.

I agree with all of this.

What if you are one of those people that don't want to be spending extra season down in the minors. This rule would just keep more people in the VHLM and less in the VHL.

People generally want to stay in minors to:

- Win an award

- Win a Founder's Cup

- Dominate

- Afraid that their player will suck so bad they won't have any shot at ROTY, thus they build up their TPE totals.

Maybe just make it 175-200 TPE, and you can choose if you want to go up if you're within that range or something. And if you're above you have to go up. Don't know.

You can always ask your VHL GM to call you up. You're not forced to stay down if you're below the cap.

• Senior Admin

As I said above, the banking system could be good for parity/shutting people up, but it wouldn't come without its drawbacks. 

My concern about the banking system is that it essentially removes all of the risk involved in staying down, and it could potentially promote people to stay down. I mean, with the banking system there is absolutely 0 risk of TPE loss, and players can get the extra rewards and perks of staying in the VHLM. Ergo, playing subsequent seasons in the minors is now even more attractive.

Look at myself as an example:

In order to stay in the minors, I had to forgo point tasks for a few weeks (2 or 3 I believe). If the banking system were in place at that time, I simply would have gotten to 175 and begun banking. I then would have went through the season loving life in the practice facility, slamming down predictions in the VHLM fantasy zone each week, and happily collected a fat tpe cheque from the achievement tracker at the end of the season. Then at the end of the season, I simply apply all my lovely banked points to my attributes. I would estimate that if the banking system were in place, I would have been able to enter the VHL with close to 450 TPE, as a first gen. 

Basically what I'm saying here is that there would have to be limitations to the banking system, otherwise it's bound to be abused and do more harm than good. Additionally, it's concerning that there is no cost/sacrifice of staying down. I think Doomsdays articles the past two weeks have summed it up well, in saying that we shouldn't necessarily be providing more incentive to stay down without sacrifices. 

As I said above, the banking system could be good for parity/shutting people up, but it wouldn't come without its drawbacks. 

My concern about the banking system is that it essentially removes all of the risk involved in staying down, and it could potentially promote people to stay down. I mean, with the banking system there is absolutely 0 risk of TPE loss, and players can get the extra rewards and perks of staying in the VHLM. Ergo, playing subsequent seasons in the minors is now even more attractive.

Look at myself as an example:

In order to stay in the minors, I had to forgo point tasks for a few weeks (2 or 3 I believe). If the banking system were in place at that time, I simply would have gotten to 175 and begun banking. I then would have went through the season loving life in the practice facility, slamming down predictions in the VHLM fantasy zone each week, and happily collected a fat tpe cheque from the achievement tracker at the end of the season. Then at the end of the season, I simply apply all my lovely banked points to my attributes. I would estimate that if the banking system were in place, I would have been able to enter the VHL with close to 450 TPE, as a first gen. 

Basically what I'm saying here is that there would have to be limitations to the banking system, otherwise it's bound to be abused and do more harm than good. Additionally, it's concerning that there is no cost/sacrifice of staying down. I think Doomsdays articles the past two weeks have summed it up well, in saying that we shouldn't necessarily be providing more incentive to stay down without sacrifices. 

Cap the amount of TPE that a player can have applies at any point in time in the VHL at 175, and set the max TPE a player can have at whenever we decide for the deadline to something like 200 (or maybe keep it at 175 if we are going to have things like predictions, training camp, and off-season points NOT included).

In addition, implement a max of 30 TPE to be earned in a career through the achievement tracker.

If you allow banking and put in the max 30 TPE from achieve tracker, then in the end you gain maybe 25 TPE from being in the VHLM an extra season.

Allowing players to season in the minors an extra season isn't a bad thing, as it can help grow friendships and even the playing field when they do head up to the VHL. As long as the rules state that once you hit banking you must move up to the VHL the following season, there shouldn't be any issues.

I'm still confused as to why there's so much opposition to letting players stay down a second season. I've heard arguments about how a new player in the NHL doesn't get to be a superstar in their first season, but in the NHL most players stay another year in the juniors, then move into the farm system before they crack the big league roster.

I actually think it should be this:

1) No player may be in the VHLM with more than 150 TPE applied to attributes

2) Players with more than 200 TPE (applied or not) at the beginning of the season (based on the current rules) must play in the VHL

3) Players can earn a max of 30 TPE from the achievement tracker throughout their career

Also inactive players can't play in the VHLM at all. Also contract the VHLM.

Edited by Streetlight