S87 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

VancouverNew.png.4e07f272c17b312cf5420ef4e0c0472a.png

S87 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

Sadly, that time of season has come once again where we are ready to hand-out some team awards and after a very successful regular season the Vancouver Wolves fell four games to one to the Seattle Bears; a team that loaded up at the trade deadline and was always going to give teams concern. Vancouver cannot complain too much as they in similar fashion in season 86 when from Wildcard to Continental Cup Champions so since the Play-off are still on-going, we will wish Seattle Bears the best of luck repeating what we accomplished last season.

Awards are what we are really here for and this season we decided to get the team vote from some of the awards since it is always nice to hear what the team thinks and I think makes the awards a bit more special as they are coming from your peers. So let’s get the show started….

Best defenseman:

This is one of the first awards that we sent to the team to vote; either way we would have a new winner of this award after the team traded away Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk to Warsaw Predators due to salary cap reason putting more pressure the newly former defensive core with Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito and Jimmy MacElroy @Xflexz being asked to take a much bigger role on the back-end while it would be trial by fire for Rookie Jens Lekman @Bobcat. Tater Tottingham @Trunkxolotl brought much required depth to back-end at the trade deadline and has since resigned with the team through season 89 giving the team a solid core heading into the near future. Tater should have more of say in this award next season.

The best defenseman as voted by the team is:

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard  @Gaikoku-hito

72GP   19G – 69A – 88pts    35+/-     282SHT    172PIM     195Hits        198SB

Bouchard was asked to carry the load this season after the team rebuilt the defense after trading away two time best defenseman award winning Biggie Cheese and he simply didn`t disappoint as he set career highs in assist, points, plus/minus, shots, PIM, hits, shots blocked, Game winners and powerplay points. Bouchard lead all defensive categories on the Vancouver Wolves except for shooting percentage and was amongst the league leaders in Assist (2nd), Defenseman points (3rd), Plus/Minus (1st), Shots blocked (3rd) and PIM (9th).

Bouchard received 100% of the Vote for The Best Defenseman Award

Rookie of the Year:

This season Vancouver Wolves had three Rookies making their VHL debuts, all three in very different roles and different positions making this a very interesting award to watch this season. Warr Kerr @VattghernCZ, highly thought of forward selected 9th overall in S86 draft, expected to play a large depth role with the team this past season. Jens Lekman @Bobcat, another S86 draft prospect was looked upon to secure the back-end beside second year defender Jimmy MacElroy @Xflexz and play in some key match-up throughout the season. Lastly, Jeremy Swayman @Agito came in as the back-up and possible future option in between the pipes for Vancouver Wolves moving forward; things haven`t turned out as planned when Swayman announced his retirement about half-way through the season.  

The Rookie of the Year as voted by the team is:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

72GP   20G – 24A – 44pts    27+/-     189SHT    26PIM     32Hits        16SB

Kerr led all the rookies in scoring this season with his twenty goals, twenty-four assist for forty-four points. He also moved from center to the right wing playing alongside veteran players in Sergey Preobrazhensky and Nezuko. Kerr should look no further than his line mates for comparable as his rookie numbers are very similar to Preobrazhenskys` rookie numbers. He will look to improve on these numbers next season and has a very bright future as two forward in the league. Editors note* Wann Kerr also finished 6th in Rookie scoring this season and should also be consider for Rookie of the Year in the VHL this season.

Wann Kerr received 83% of the votes while Jens Lekman received 17% of the votes from the players.

Unsung Hero:

Easily the hardest award to give out every season as it really comes down to who is playing a large role for the team but maybe might not really get the credit that they deserve. That made it easier to send the vote to the team and they also proved that this is a very hard award to pin point one player deserving of the award with six different players actually receiving votes for this award. So, before I actually announce the award I actually want to point out all six of these players for playing large role to even be consider for this award by their teams mates. Receiving Votes for this award were: Nezuko @Baozi, Brandt Fuhr @Tate, Jens Lekman @Bobcat, Henry Eagles @Greg_Di, Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik and Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1.

Finally, the Unsung Hero Award is awarded to:

Spoiler

Nezuko @Baozi

72GP   45G – 53A – 98pts    25+/-     505SHT    78PIM     200Hits        22SB

Nezuko had huge skates to fill this season coming in as UFA signing in the off season from the DC Dragons after the Vancouver Wolves traded away last season unsung hero to New York Americans in Alexandre Leduc @Lemorse7. Nezuko fit right in with the team and lead the team all season in goals and points; while also being amongst the leaders of the league as they were 5th in goals and 6th in points. They played a huge role in the team having potent offense that lead the league this season with 250 goals.

Nezuko won the award with 28% of the vote with the other five players receive around 14% of the vote.

Most Energetic:

Usually another very hard award to select and once again another award that I sent to the team this season to have the ultimate say. This award is usually is award for activity, character and activity around the team. Once again the team showed how hard this award can be to award as well since four different players received votes; Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ, Jens Lekman @Bobcat, Tater Tottingham @Trunkxolotland Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple.

This season Most Energetic award goes to:

Spoiler

Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple

A huge part of the future in Vancouver being announced as assistant captain this season, Maple is always one of the first to comment in the locker room after a big win or a tough loss. Not to mention the crazy antics this player tends to get up to during his own time. Always something interesting surrounds this player week in and week out.

Dogwood Maple received 50% of the vote while the other players received around 17%

Most Valuable player:

Last year’s winner was traded away to Warsaw Predators means we would have a new MVP and somehow this actually surprised me as I thought this season award winner had also won the award the last season; (in what was I think moment) but also shows how tough this award can be; at times to award. This is the last team voted award and only two players received votes this season as I think it was very clear from the very start of the season who would be our MVP this season so without much more waffling;

The Vancouver Wolves MVP is:

Spoiler

Brandt Fuhr @Tate

64GP   44W – 14L -  5OTL       0.931SV%    2.37GAA      6SO

Brandt Fuhr set the tone early in the season for the Wolves going 9-0-1 in his first ten games before posting back-to-back shut-out in game eleven and twelve having most in the league scared that they might never score on the Wolves again all season. Again he lead the league in wins (44), Save percentage (0.931), Goals against average (2.37), Shut-outs (6) and assist (4). Yet somehow as I write this I find it hard to believe that he shouldn`t win the Aidan Shaw Trophy like he did last season. Oh, Wait he didn`t win this last season; did he? Well, either way he should be consider for at least two league awards again this season if not also League MVP.

Brandt Fuhr received 83% of the MVP vote with Nezuko receiving 17%

Little Wolf Award (Most Hits):

Now with all the team voted awards handed out we are straight into the stat awards and we start off with the player that lead the team in hits this past season; also just realized I actually haven`t even looked at these stats so it will also surprise me as much as everyone else so let me find my computer and find that stat sheets.

The winner of the Little Wolf Award (Most Hits) is:

Spoiler

Nezuko @Baozi

72GP   45G – 53A – 98pts    25+/-     505SHT    78PIM     200Hits        22SB

Nezuko did a bit of everything this season for the team from scoring and also laying down some timely hits and when I first provided the stats for the unsung hero award I knew that Nezuko would be a contender as they beat last years winner by 43 more hits as Biggie Cheese won last season with 157 hits. The wolves overall played a much heavier game this season with Nezuko leading the way as the team threw 1247 hits compared to 1068 the previous season; 179 more.

Sniper Award (Shooting percentage):

Every year this award seems to surprise me as usually this is a player that tends to produce a lot of goals compared to the number of shots directed at the net and maybe should be renamed Why don`t you shoot more Award since it also tends to be player that doesn`t lead the team in shots.

The winner of the Sniper Award is:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr

@VattghernCZ

10.58%     20G / 189 Shots

Already a winner tonight of the Rookie of the year, Kerr once again shows how strong of a rookie season he actually had by leading the team in shooting percentage; also suggest that he could have a break-out season in the near future as he will be playing a larger role for the team. As stated in the first award announcement more will be expected from Kerr in the coming years but the future looks bright.

QB Award (PP Assists):

Another award that where I haven`t checked the stats but I am going to guess that they team leaders in assist are going to high on this list so Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito or defending QB Award winner Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1 will win this award.

The Winner of the QB Award is:

Spoiler

Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1

11PPG – 19PPA – 30PPP

Hollycows, I was actually right in predicting an award for once as Preobrazhensky defends his QB award from last season with two more assist then last season. Since coming over last season in a trade from Moscow Menace, he has lead the powerplay in most catagories as he once again lead the team in assist and points on the Power-play with only Henry Eagles scoring more power-play goals this season.

Tooth Fairy (PIM Award):

One of my favorite awards as it shows a player that is willing to throw their weight around to help the team in many different ways and last season, we had a tie for this award as Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk and Jimmy MacElroy @Xflexz took home the honors so who will be this season; any guess?  

This season winner of the Tooth Fairy Award is none other than:

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard

@Gaikoku-hito

172PIM

What to say about a defender that played a ton of minutes against the top lines of other team but to say that he might have been a bit undisciplined is a bit of a understatement as he had 104 more penalty minutes compared to the two players that won the award last season considering he also had zero fighting majors during the season. Hopefully next season this claims down and he can stay on the ice a bit more helping the team.

Always responsible (Plus/Minus):

This award is actually very easy to hand out this season as the team leader also leads the league in this stat so without wasting much time; the Always responsible Award goes to:

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard

@Gaikoku-hito

Plus 35

Clearly this player had the mentality of You can try to beat me but you will never beat me as it seems if a player managed to get a step on this big defender, he was going to make them pay one way of the other as he also had 172PIM. So how many players just decided to stay out of his corner this season? Also one should note the impress number since he had a zero plus/minus last season.

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits)

Last season winner no longer with the team this season means we have a new winner and Lady Leduc has sadly been traded away as well so this will be anyone award to win other then Nezuko @Baozi as they already won the Little Wolf Award (Most hits) so since I haven`t looked yet; lets have a look see together:

Oops Sorry Eh!! Award this season goes to:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr

@VattghernCZ

32 hits

This season the team overall threw the weight around a lot more but this actually surprised me due to the gap between the winner and the second-place finish being so large; the next closes player had 85 hits means the runaway winner was Kerr this season. Considering that Kerr is a two-forward makes it even more impress the lack of checks required to remove players from the puck while defending meaning he really didn`t mean to throw the 32 hits he actually threw this season.

It wasn`t me(Least PM):

Well, we know Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito isn`t winning this award but who other than Henry Eagles @Greg_Di has a chance at this award since if I remember correctly he has won it two straight season since joining the Wolves. Well, Since I already looked, I can tell you it wasn`t him this time as he finished second.

So, the winner of It wasn`t me Award is:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr

@VattghernCZ

26 PIM

The teams Rookie of the year is a very clean player as it seems as he doesn`t hit and he doesn`t take penalties; actually, very impressive and maybe should spend some extra time working with Bouchard to show him how to let up once in a while. Must also mention that Eagles is becoming more aggressive every season since he has gone from 12PIM to 17PIM to a massive 32PIM this season; the goon!!

Shoot the lights out (Most shots):

Goals usually come from the player that shoots the most and when I looked at the actually stats this become even more apparent as in direct order of goals scored on the team this season also follows who shot the puck the most this season so now that I gave away the winner if everyone has been follow all the award handed out so far so without wasting everyone time let’s call back to the stage:

Spoiler

Nezuko

@Baozi

45 goals on 505 shots for 8.91SHT%

As stated above the more you shot the more you score so it isn`t surprise that Nezuko with 45 goals on the season also leads the team with the most shots. Last season I gave a shooting percentage due to different amount of games played but this season that wasn`t required as Nezuko won this by 33 more shots over last years winner Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1.

Work Horse Award (AMG):

The Work Horse Award is given to the player that plays the most minutes and has the biggest potential impact on the game than any other player and we would have all consider Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito in the running until you seen his 172PIM so that then leave the question who actually won this award?

The Work Horse Award goes to:

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard

@Gaikoku-hito

2172 (30.17 Mins/game)

Wow, imagine if he actually stayed out of the penalty box and also shows that I didn`t look until I actually award this!! LOL!!  This was a lot closer than I would have imagined since Bouchard played exactly one minute more than Henry Eagles @Greg_Di, who sadly finished runner up this season. This also shows the direction of the team this season as both of these players played a much larger role with the team as both where in the bottom half of minutes played last season.

Common Coach (Least played):

This one as mentioned last season usually is a player down the depth chart or rookie joining the Wolves in their first season. Which wasn`t the case last season when Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik won the award so instead of me guessing and say anything else that won`t be correct and since I already have the answer; let award this award.

Common Coach Award is awarded to:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

1842mins   (25.59 mins/game)

Okay, I wasn`t that wrong this season as it went to a Rookie. This is Kerr third award of the night if I remember correctly and once again shows that the young man has a bright future in the VHL. As Kerr get more playing time one would expect his numbers to improve but overall it was an impressive rookie season.

Bruised and Battered Award (SB Award):

Don`t think anyone will be surprised by the winner of this award since once again he is amongst the leaders of the league in the category but I will also like to mention the team overall blocked more shots this season up from 715 to 848 shots-blocked; meaning the team made it easier for Brandt Fuhr and Jeremy Swayman; right?

The Bruised and battered Award goes to:

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard

@Gaikoku-hito

198 shots blocked    

If I remember correctly this is Bouchard fifth award tonight as it seems he has locked down majority of defenders category awards for SB, Mins played, Best Defender, Plus/Minus and PIM. Bouchard clearly wore his heart on his sleeve this season doing everything he could to help the team win. I guess only question I have now is he even going to be nominated for any league awards? I have feeling it won`t matter much to him since he has always put the team first.

Three Star Award:

You would think I would learn to have this ready before I start these huge award shows but nope once again, I haven`t done any of the research so give a few minutes as at least I found an easier way to find the data now and I will be right back to hand out this award. Any guess as to whom will win this award? I am lean Brandt Fuhr or Nezuko but I could be wrong.

Three Star Award goes to:

Spoiler

Brandt Fuhr @Tate

450 Pts ( 9 - 1st stars, 6 – 2nd Stars, 6 – 3rd Stars)

This season the award was really close with two player both being stars of the game 21 times with both Brandt Fuhr @Tate and Nezuko @Baozi doing the honors, while Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1 would be a star 20 times but in the end, Brandt Fuhr @Tate would take home the award with more 1st Star nominations compared to the other two players.

1ST Star

2nd Star

3rd star

Total

Brandt Fuhr

Nezuko

Sergey Preobrazhensky

Dogwood Maple

Svatopluk Puk

Henry Eagles

Pierre Emile Bouchard

Jimmy MacElroy

Wann Kerr

Jens Lekman

Tater Tottingham

Jeremy Swayman

Top Prospect Award:

Not sure how to actually award this award this season since we started the season with two prospects in Reese McFleury and Oreo McFleury but Vancouver Wolves management traded away one of the prospects just before the trade deadline to make room for an more experienced player and doing right by Reese by trading him to a team that he should make next season. So really this is a one-horse race now so lets look at both prospects seasons and give me time to consider if I should award this to a player possible traded to another team; I have done it in the past with Nico Pearce.

Oreo McFleury

@JB123

72GP   37G – 41A – 78pts    15+/-     520SHT    55PIM     152Hits        19SB

Oreo McFleury is currently playing with Oslo Storm in the VHLE and was forth on the team in scoring this season with 78pts, third is goals and fifth in assists. Helped the team finish second in the VHLE standings during the regular season and has helped the team into the VHLE League finals against Cologne Express; who topped the VHLE this season. Currently leads Oslo in play-off goals (5) and points (9) in eight games.

Reese McFleury @Spaz

72GP   25G – 51A – 76pts    0+/-     265SHT    50PIM     109Hits        190SB

Reese McFleury was playing with Istanbul Red Wolves in the VHLE and was 2nd on the team in scoring as defender with 76pts, 3rd in goals (25), 1st in assists (51). Istanbul finished sixth in the league missing the play-offs by two points to Vasteras Iron Eagles.

Based on the season in the VHLE there isn`t much really to choose between the two brothers other than teams they played for and position so in the end the choice is rather easy one:

Vancouver Wolves Top Prospect Award is given to:

Spoiler

Oreo McFleury @JB123

In the end it was easy since Reese is no longer a Vancouver Wolves prospect so it wouldn`t have been right to award our team prospect award to another team’s prospect. Both where clearly deserving of the award and by the numbers it looks like Vancouver Wolves management might have made a mistake trading Reese McFleury to Malmo Nighthawks for a S88 1st round selection but only time will tell.   

Final Thoughts:

It was a great season from start to finish but in the end, we came across a much-improved Seattle Bears team in the play-offs. It shows how close the league is at the moment when the fifth seeded team can beat the first seeded team but remember last season, we had the luck on our side when we were a Wildcard team and then went onto win the Continental Cup. We regroup and we make another run as we still have a very good core set for next season and beyond. Also remember we won the Victory Cup so we have two cups in back-to-back seasons; not an easy feat…

Let’s like our wounds and come back ready to fight again next season.

3726 words (March 19th , March 26th, April 2nd & April 9th Claims)

Edited by Gaikoku-hito