Around the League

Scurvy

Ok for this week’s Around the League in 500 or so words I want to talk about a breakout defenseman with a bad ass name, the wagon that is Seattle,  and a look at Rip Wheeler’s season so far.

EPIC NAME AND PLAYER:

The Moscow Menace seem to be at or near the top of the standing every single year I’ve been a part of the VHL.  Great management, smart draft picks, and some trades keep them competitive and deadly year after year.   This year is no different.  After a slow start Moscow has become hot and it’s in large part to their best named Dman and S84 #13 overall pick, AK92 Wit da Hoodie @hedgehog337.

Ak is the current assist leader in the league and has shown he is in consideration in the elite level defenseman conversation.  In 9 games he has 14 points.  No goals so far but he did score 22 in S82 and has much more TPE to play with no than two seasons ago.  AK also plays with some grit and with a name like he has, he better.  Last year he had 218 hits, 139 PIMs, and 168 SB.  

Partnered with fellow Moscow Dman, Hammer Voss on the power play these two will stack up some numbers.  

Best of luck to AK and the Moscow Menace this year (except when you play Warsaw).image.jpeg.aee5380b7b2af279f0e0d302bd8e815b.jpeg

SEATTLE BEARS CHEWING THROUGH THE LEAGUE

In 9 short games the Seattle Bears have shown to be a true beast of a team.  Led by their goalie Xavier Booberry @CowboyinAmerica who was traded by Davos In the off season (WTF?) they are off to a 7-0-2 start.  As I look at this club they really have done a great job at getting a mix of grit and scoring. 

Up front they have Hulk Hogan 2 @hogan, the best 2 way forward in the league Vasile Lamb @dlamb, journeyman gritty defensemen turned forward Tavish DeGroot @rory, sophomore Randy Bobandy @AJWwho is coming off a 21 goal season, Chip Stone @DoktorFunk, and Yaroslav Bogatyrev @Bojovnik. 

On the back end, they run 3 defense which some say is the way to go.  They are led by S82 8th overall pick, Mikhail Kovalchuk @Banackock.  Partnered with lockdown veteran Alessandro Nano they stifle opposing offense and clear the way for Booberry to made endless save after save.   

I am excited to see this team flourish as I was a former teammate of Lamb and DeGroot where we won a cup together in S84.  I wish y’all the best of luck this season.

RIP WHEELER UPDATE:

Ok want to check in on my buddy Rip Wheeler @ScottyP.  Rip is currently playing for the Oslo Storm in the VHLE.  Rip is off to a decent start with 3 g and 3 a in 9 games and is a +6.  As I checked day before yesterday, he had yet to earn a penalty so I teased him he was going for the Lady Byng after he told everyone he was the next Eric Lindros.   After saying that he has amassed 12 PIMs, only 2 blocked shots, and 29 hits.  Rip is earning good TPE though and I am excited to see where he ends up this year stat wise.  

image.jpeg.9a692678a5cf91261799a0ade4513891.jpeg

Until Next Week