Jardy's Hecking Random Musings

JardyB10

Hello VHL, it's me: @JardyB10, your favourite inactive user. My journey to make BjorkaBjorn BjornaBjorkson a lifetime VHLE legend has been going not atrociously so far, and I am a mere 20 TPE away from maxing his TPE. If I'm able to max earn and participate in Theme Week next week, I'll have reached 399 TPE by the end of that week. Here's some thoughts on all that jazz in no particular structured manner:

- It's a strange thing limiting a player build to 399 TPE. Thus far I've just been trying to make as efficient use of the TPE as possible, though as a result I'm facing the possibility that I won't have a single attribute above 75 as a result. I'm going to bank the last ~35 TPE I earn and choose my final build with that I suppose. Then in future seasons, I'll see how it works out and reroll if needed.

- Speaking of re-rolling, it's time for me to air out a gripe with the @Commissioner team. Re-rolling costs money, and given that I have no use for buying TPE or Depreciation Fighters, it gives me the opportunity to spend all my money on re-rolls and Experience. However, as I'm sure no one has really noticed, I never accepted my contract the Prague Phantoms. This is because that stinker ACYDBURN refused to give me a maximum contract of $3,000,000, even though there's literally no reason for him not to. He claims this is because VHLE/M players will make $1.5M regardless of their contract. This may or may not be true, though BACK IN MY DAY it definitely was not. Moreover, there's this quote from the rule book.

On 12/17/1992 at 5:27 PM, Will said:

2.4 – Contract Maximums 

• The maximum annual salary for a player who plays in the VHLM or VHLE is $3 000 000

What's the purpose of this if E/M players are making a standardized amount? I understand they make the standardized amount if they DON'T otherwise have a contract, i.e. if they're undrafted or a new create. But to me, it looks like Prague is allowed to pay me $3M here, which I would enjoy!

Granted, there's THIS quote from the VHLE rule book:

On 9/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Acydburn said:

2 – CONTRACT STRUCTURE

2.1 Contracts

Contracts in the VHLE are for 3 seasons from being drafted. After those 3 seasons and you’re still VHLE eligible you will become a free agent. The team that drafts you retains your rights for 3 seasons. 

Free agency contracts are for 1 season. See Free Agency in Section 3 .

All VHLE contracts are for $1,500,000 per season.

But to me that reads as VHLE contracts. I feel like my VHL contract money should override my VHLE contract. And if it doesn't, remove the former quote from the Rule Book then, because it's obviously pointless in that case.

- Speaking of rule book inconsistencies between leagues, I'm officially unclear on if 399 TPE or 400 TPE is the maximum to play in the VHLE. If we ask the VHL rule book, it's clearly 400 TPE/A:

On 12/17/1992 at 5:27 PM, Will said:

2.10 - VHLE TPE Eligibility

• Players are eligible to play in the VHLE if they are:
    • At or below 400 TPE at the finance cutoff for the current season.
    • At a minimum of 201 TPE by the start of the season.
  • Once a player has earned 401 TPE, they will no longer be eligible to play in the VHLE, and will automatically be called up to the VHL, at the start the next season.
  • If a VHL player depreciates to the point where they fall to or below 400 TPA, then they are eligible once again to play in the VHLE.

But if we ask the VHLE rule book, the ceiling is mostly seemingly 399 TPE:

On 9/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Acydburn said:

2.2 – TPE Threshold

In the VHLE, the minimum TPE allowed is 200 TPE and there is no maximum. With that said, the season after you hit 400 TPE you will move up to the VHL. If you hit 400 during the offseason you will not spend that season in the VHLE

The cutoff date for VHLE eligibility is the same as the VHLM TPE cutoff date. 

If you’re over 400 TPE by this date you move up to the VHL. 

*You will be considered VHLE eligible if your TPA has regressed below 400.

The language of the bolded spots indicate that if you are AT 400 TPE, you will move up, and if depreciating you must be BELOW 400 TPA to re-enter the VHLE. The underlined, unbolded bit is actually more loose in its definition, but overall I'd say the wording here indicates 399 TPE is the maximum to remain eligible in the VHLE.

In sum, this is some rule book remediation that would make @MubbleFubbles proud. Also I should tag the @VHLE Commissioner as well.

Anyway, in summary, I demand to be paid more, or for the rule book(s) to be clarified. I'm fortunate in that @Acydburn is responsible for making either or both of these happen. 😛 

- I could muse more, but I'm sure I have tons of words. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Edited by JardyB10

3 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

However, as I'm sure no one has really noticed, I never accepted my contract the Prague Phantoms. This is because that stinker ACYDBURN refused to give me a maximum contract of $3,000,000, even though there's literally no reason for him not to. He claims this is because VHLE/M players will make $1.5M regardless of their contract. This may or may not be true, though BACK IN MY DAY it definitely was not.

Yeah Acyd is mistaken on this front and you are in the right, the VHLE players making a fixed $1.5M is just for players who have only a VHLE contract (usually the VHLE inactive FAs), if you sign a VHL contract with more money that takes precedent, so a $3 Million contract would give you $3 Million. Funnily enough, I actually brought up why I appreciated @Frank for offering bonuses to his VHLE players in this article

As for the TPE limits, I would go with the VHL rulebook rather than the VHLE rulebook. I've been disappointed that the VHLE rulebook hasn't been amended in a long while as several inconsistencies and missing information has been pointed out in the past (they have incorrect definitions for call-up deadline eligibility and no current official wording for Inactive waivers). But given Sebastien dokis is still in the E at 400 TPE, I can assure you you'd be safe at that mark, although make sure you never do any award predictions since those auto-apply!

Check the rulebook again, idk where you're lookin there bud (I fixed the TPE threshold language in the E rules).

2 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

But to me that reads as VHLE contracts. I feel like my VHL contract money should override my VHLE contract. And if it doesn't, remove the former quote from the Rule Book then, because it's obviously pointless in that case.

You are correct.