Top 5 Reto Teams Deserving A Modern Return

Will3

It's me, Will3. With the focus of this theme week being all things retro, I have decided to do a throw back article to a topic I haven't talked about since I have returned, VHL history. In a remix of my classic article, I will be listing off my top 5 teams of the past that I feel have a place in the VHL of the future. These teams can come from either VHL or VHLM and can be placed in any of the three current leagues. Also no team created as part of the modern revamp of both leagues will be included. For the VHL, that is any team that existed before S65 and for the VHLM the cut off is before S61. With that being said, let's get to the list.

#5 Buffalo Jr. Bears/Syracuse Wolfpack to the VHLM

Ok, so I am kinda breaking my own rules with this one, but hear me out. These two different teams represent upstate NY at different times. The Buffalo Jr. Bears only lasted from S9 to S16 before becoming much more popular in Saskatoon. The Syracuse Wolfpack is what happened when the Minot Gladiators decided not to be themselves between S26 to S30. The region of upstart New York is a hockey hotbed and while not as big of a market as many modern teams, the fans should be there. As good as those points are this region is last for a reason.

#4 Quebec City Meute to the VHLM

Who has cursed Quebec City that they can never keep a professional hockey team? Seriously how does this keep happening?  All painful jokes aside, I do feel that what was rejected by the VHL would fit in wonderfully in the VHLM. To quick summarize their history, they played in the VHL from S31 to S64 after which they moved to Vancouver as part of the modern revamp of the VHL. The market is no longer big enough for VHL but should be more than enough for the smaller VHLM.It will need a new identity, (most of the teams on this list will) but I believe a VHLM Quebec City franchise would be the great retro revamp.

#3 Bern Royals to the VHLE

While the Geneva Rush have become Switzerland's team, this was not always the case. The original Bern Royals were apart of the VHLM for a long time from S17 all the way to S53 where they would gamble on a move to Las Vegas and become the Aces. Population issues may have resulted in Bern being passed over for a VHLE franchise twice. But I feel the Geneva Rush only make case for the return of the Royals stronger. The rivalry that could spark from the Rush battling the Royals could light a fire that would ignite all of Switzerland. With a deep past and a potential bright future, a retro Royals return feels right.

#2 Madrid Thunder to the VHL or VHLE

Now we getting into the big cities. In between stints in Vasteras, The Madrid Thunder only existed between Seasons 16 and 20. While the execution may have been bad, the idea remains good. Madrid is one of the best sporting cities in the world and one of the only capital cities big enough to host a VHL or VHLE team. The unproven market and complete failure of the Thunder cause this entry to stay second, but I think that a revamp of the retro club will remain much longer than the first time.

Honorable Mentions 

Before we get to the top spot, it's time to shout out some places that have had VHLM hockey in the past for a long time that are unlikely to return. Kolari, Finland hosted a team of various names from S12 to S33. Minot, North Dakota hosted the Gladiators from the beginning to S25 only to return from Syracuse and continued from S31 to the folding of the club after S42.  Brampton, Ontario hosted a team of different names from S1 all the way to folding after S53. Market size is why none of these cities will get their teams back any time soon. Now on to the top pick.

#Amstel Tijgers to the VHL or VHLE

We going all the way back for this one. The Amstel Tijgers were one of the original team of the VHL. There were also the only original club to relocate entirely after that first year, leaving for Avangard, Russia before eventually becoming the HC Davos Dynamo we know today. The idea of putting a team in Amsterdam should have been followed up on a long time ago. Not just that it is a big, capital city. Not just is has a rich sporting tradition. It is a city that loves it's winter sports. And it is not another Scandinavian team, which is great for everyone. For me at least, an Amsterdam team is the perfect retro revamp no matter what league it is in.

That is my list. Am I so wrong that I need roasted? Feel free to light me up below. Also what retro team would you like to see revamped for today? Let me know. That is all I have to say. Have a great theme week everyone.

Edited by Will3

54 minutes ago, Will3 said:

#2 Madrid Thunder to the VHL or VHLE

Now we getting into the big cities. In between stints in Vasteras, The Madrid Thunder only existed between Seasons 16 and 20. While the execution may have been bad, the idea remains good. Madrid is one of the best sporting cities in the world and one of the only capital cities big enough to host a VHL or VHLE team. The unproven market and complete failure of the Thunder cause this entry to stay second, but I think that a revamp of the retro club will remain much longer than the first time.

@Arce

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Will3 said:

they played in the VHL from S31 to S64 after which they moved to Vancouver as part of the modern revamp

To be fair it was less about a modern revamp and more about the fact that the term "Meute" is used by an ultra-right hate group in Quebec; even though we did have it first. Beav also claimed that people refused to play for him because of it being a french team but I don't know how accurate that is.

1 hour ago, Will3 said:

The Amstel Tijgers were one of the original team of the VHL.

They were also the first team to ever pick in a VHL draft. Also props for using the proper spelling of the name, the J tends to get ignored.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

Beav also claimed that people refused to play for him because of it being a french team but I don't know how accurate that is.

i believe it... Montreal was too good for too long, now nobody is in on French Canada

Article Review - This is a great article, provides a little history and makes us reminisce about the past.  Exactly what a great retro themed article should do. Unfortunately I am not sure that an expansion or a relocation is in the cards any time soon but we can all hope and dream.  Keep up the good work.

I give this article a 9/10.