HSK/NYA; S88

VHL Bot

9 minutes ago, scoop said:

damn no one wants Sakamoto

Super tough even with bracket changes and cap increase to spend 6 million or whatever after retention on a player with no passing or scoring (in STHS) but then also has max puck handling. I've never had that type of player, but just thinking about how the sim works, I'd expect he wouldn't make any proper breakout passes or maintain possession. Maybe skate out of the defensive zone and then just lose possession? Pure defensive defensemen with no PA or SC is just super tough to really do anything productive. Other defensive minded folks at least also prioritize some passing or scoring like Nesbitt on PRG, I think that's just the concession you have to make if you want to be defensive with STHS.

@Spartan strategies and chemistry are critical. Sakamoto had 0.7 ppg with Seattle while putting up 300 hits and 150 shot blocks in 130 games. Helsinki had him on the 2nd pair with PK duties and that's it.

Per the STHS manual, having high scoring or high passing only means a tendency to act in that direction, not a likelihood to succeed. Puck handling, specifically the ratio between the player who has the puck's PH skill, versus an attacking players Checking, determines how easily the puck carrier is separated from the puck. If we used a flavor of STHS that tracked GA/TA, I'd wager Sakamoto has an absurdly low GA number. 

So if you're trying to picture it in terms of the actual game of hockey, Sakamoto would be unlikely to lose possession of the puck, would skate it out of the zone, and then have a coin flip of whether or not he passes or shoots. As a defenseman, I believe he is predisposed (as are other defenseman) to a slight edge toward passing, but that's more of my interpretation having been around for a long time than something explicitly stated in the STHS manual.

Edited by der meister
Fixed autocorrect changing the tense of 'has' to 'had' smh