S88 Davos Recap

Alex

S88 was a crazy one in Davos, and it all started out with 3 massive trades; The first of which saw the Davos captain Siyan Yasilievich @badcolethetitan, who was moved  with the S89 DAV 2nd for the S90 LDN 1st, S89 LDN 3rd and Mikhail Kovalchuk from London. Immediately following that first trade I found out that Kovalchuk would be retiring if they were not traded to Seattle, that resulted in a massive 3-way trade between Davos, Seattle, and D.C. (pictured below), in this trade Davos traded away the S88 LAS 2nd (later re-acquired) and Kovalchuk for Brian Kowalski @Wheaties and the S89 SEA 3rd. The 3rd blockbuster trade we made was by far the hardest as I made the tough decision to trade away Xavier Booberry @CowboyinAmerica, throughout this process I was sure to keep CIA in the loop on any developments given them having a NTC, mutual option, and I always communicate trades with players very far in advance where possible. With this trade we will have moved up exactly 16 spots in the S90 draft from the 3rd to 2nd round and with the development of Lachlan Summers @kirbithan and the cap flexibility we would gain it made all the sense in the world. The rest of the trades made that offseason were relatively minor as we said goodbye to Adam Rage @MrMom, acquired John Poremba Jr. @CrlineDijohn14, and Svaltopluk Puk @Otaznik and moved some picks around. All was quiet on the trade front until the trade deadline where Alexandre Leduc was acquired to bolster our forward core heading into the playoffs, sadly this meant having to move Puk to New York.

On the ice this season was a roller coaster for Davos as we saw ourselves 1st in the standings early on, only to drop to 7th, and then following the trade deadline surge back up to 2nd in a very tough European Conference as we would finish with our single best season since S61 with 93 points. Jake Thunder @Thunder led the team offensively with a outstanding 93 points, enough to led defensemen in points and the league in assists. Additonally we saw 5 players score at least 20 goals with Mason Jones @Masu Chan, James Teekirque @Mongoose87, Florida Man @zepheter, Pete Mitchell @Crstats23, and Alfred Champagne @Anthique. Also since joining Davos at the trade deadline, Leduc went on a tear putting up 12 goals and 16 assists for 28 points in 21 games! In goal Lachlan Summers had an incredible season that saw them finish first in the league in SV% (0.932) and 2nd in GAA, truly incredible numbers. In the playoffs, Davos did something it has never (to my knowledge) done before as we reverse swept a very strong Moscow team, despite powerplays being heavily in Moscow's favour. In the Conference finals we ran into the brick wall that is Jesse Teno @aimkin as we took London to seven games, falling just short yet again. A bright spot for the playoffs came in the form of Mason Jones who put up 19 points in 14 games and he now sits only 4 points back from the all-time record for most playoff points by a Davos player.

As S88 draws to a close, I would like to congratulate a few people, first off, congrats to @badcolethetitan and @MrMom on their Continental Cup win! I am really happy for you guys as you both deserve it! @CowboyinAmerica, congrats on a incredible career, I look forward to seeing your next player, and best of luck with the HOF! @jacobcarson877, amazing job this season, winning a Cup in your first season is no easy task and you might just be the 2nd ever GM to do it (someone had to in S1)! Lastly, a huge thank you to @kirbithan for all of their hard work this season as my AGM, amazing job so far!