Wann Kerr has got breakout season written all over him

VattghernCZ

9R0ZLB8_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

After lighting up the VHLM for 41 goals and 97 points (10 goals and 24 points in 19 playoff games) with the Aces and leading the charge for the Gladiators with 37 goals and 84 points (9 goals and 18 points in 13 playoff games) in the VHLE the season after that, there were some expectations on Wann Kerr in his rookie season with the Wolves in S87.

When I say some expectations, I mostly mean not screwing the pooch for Vancouver's star forwards. It was certainly hard to predict Kerr scoring 20 goals (I still did so in my S86 theme week MS) and 44 points, entering the season as a ~490TPE player. The biggest ingredient to the success was undoubtedly playing with Nezuko @Baozi and Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1, both 1000+TPA players.

The departure of Kerr's S87 high-end linemates had immediate effect on his stats, as he went on to score just 17 goals and 43 points in his sophomore season. But considering he was moved to center, and spent the season playing with a high-upside rookie Oreo McFleury @JB123 - but still a rookie, still early in their development - on one wing, and a rotation of players like Bob Vladovechsenkchushkin @Grape or Kyle Peace @Peace - very good players, but lacking the star power of Nezuko and Preo, on the other wing, I'd personally argue this season was good for Kerr. Even though I wanted him to hit 20 goals again, and score around 50 points. He was asked to take on more responsibilities, and showed glimpses of being ready to contribute more.

My consistent max capped earning really allows me to build Kerr the way I like - which is more of a two-way possession driving center rather than a high offense scoring machine; an unsung hero. And looking at a few full game logs, Kerr made huge strides in this area. I'm mostly talking about retrieving loose pucks, creating takeaways with bodychecks (the 5'9" 189lbs cannonball with 89 strength is already surprisingly effective) and limiting giveaways. Stats that are unfortunately not tracked, you have to look at play-by-plays to really evaluate this. And I like the direction Kerr's development is going. Defense will always be my highest priority stat, and with some added skating (hand in hand with puck handling) - which is my main focus during the offseason - my player should be even more effective in these areas next season.

Of course, to really help the puck possession, another thing I need to put more TPE in is faceoffs. My plan was to start the season with 75 STHS stat, but @Frank brought to my attention it would be a good idea to get to 80 as soon as possible.

So overall, I think Kerr is in a good spot to have a strong season in S89, starting as a 800-ish TPE player. There's one other thing that could really help. NICO F#CKING PEARCE @Spartan returning to Vancouver. It may be late in Nico's career, but he's still one of the best players to ever play the game, who's scored 96 points last season. Bob Vladovechsenkchushkin has just anounced his retirement, which leaves the Wolves with 6 roster forwards at the time of writing this: Nico Pearce (LW, 1197TPA), Dogwood Maple (C, 1116TPA) @dogwoodmaple, Henry Eagles (RW, 1068TPA) @Greg_Di, Wann Kerr (C, 777TPA), Oreo McFleury (RW, 624TPA) and S.nubbed Analfist (RW, 549TPA) @STZ.

Maple and Eagles were the Wolves' top forwards last season. They were called "peanut butter and jelly" a few times. With Analfist, they were a formiddable forward line, and there's no reason why should this duo be separated. The Wolves can then decide about Pearce two ways - stack the first line and play Kerr with the two sophomore studs on the second line, or spread the wealth and pair Pearce (or Eagles) with Kerr.

Either way, Kerr is bound to have a breakout season. Can Pearce's arrival make it a Dustin Funk Trophy consideration worthy one?

Edited by VattghernCZ