S89 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

VancouverLogo(SM).jpg.7e3343aeae48d84ba1f51526b5b83cd5.jpg

S89 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

Getting a bit of a head start this season since I delayed last year and it took much longer to actually collect the data than expected. With Vancouver Wolves already heading for the Continental Cup Finals against HC Davos. What better way than to look back and celebrate the season up until this point by handing out the Vancouver Wolves awards. So, let’s get things started…..

Best Defenseman:

Really this has been a two-horse race all season with a back-and-forth friendly rivalry between Brain Payne @Scurvy and Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito but one shouldn`t overlook the importance that Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad played in supporting these two stud defenders. Between Payne and Bouchard, there really wasn`t much to choose from since Payne had 16g-68a for 84pts with 183PIM, 261 hits, 159SB and 3GW. While Bouchard had very similar stats with 18g-63a for 83pts with 126PIM, 209hits, 182SB and 3GW. So, who wins the Best Defenseman award?

Spoiler

Brian Payne @Scurvy

72GP 16G – 68A – 84pts +22  265SHT 183PIM 261HIT 159SB

Payne brought the battle and grit to the defense that Vancouver was lacking last season. He was able to reduce the amount of time in the box while still laying the timely checks and timely scoring. In the end he simply played better defense than Bouchard with his +22 being 20 better than Bouchard. In the end I also feel that Payne pushed Bouchard to be better this season rather than Bouchard pushing Payne.

Unsung Hero:

This is always a hard one to actually award since every year we have a few different players that could walk away with this award. We have Nico Pearce @Spartan and Brain Payne @Scurvy both bring great energy into the team both on and off the ice, Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ finding his stride on and off the ice with a sneaky 38 goals this season and Henry Eagles @Greg_Di putting up solid numbers but also leading the team in game winners. So, who is the lucky winner of the Unsung Hero Award…….

Spoiler

Henry Eagles @Greg_Di

72GP 32G – 47A – 79pts  +11 453SHT  88PIM  184HIT  34SB

In the end of the season, it was a down season in the way of stat production for Eagles; as I don`t think he managed to reach any of the personal goals that he set for himself but that alone speaks to selflessness of the player as he put the teams needs ahead of his own. In the end that is what makes an Unsung Hero, someone willing to put the team first. Not to mention the fact that he gave up his letter this season for Nico Pearce in a classy team first act!!

Most Energetic:  

This season has seen the Wolves locker room bouncing with new additions in Nico Pearce @Spartan and Brain Payne @Scurvy providing voice to experience in the lock room while other players continue to have a strong presence as well. So, who will claim the Most Energetic award?

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

Second season in row that Kerr has claimed this award and well deserved. While living in a different time zone than most of the team he is still usually the first to make comments about the games key performers, drinking highlights and general key member in the locker room. Not to mention keeping an upbeat attitude when the team struggled and always putting other ahead of his own accomplishments.       

Most Valuable player:

This award gets hard and hard to handout. Last season we had a two headed race with Henry Eagles @Greg_Di and Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple, with Maple taking home the award. This season isn`t any easier as you have the duo of Payne @Scurvy and Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito on defence, Maple and Pearce @Spartan on forward and a breakout season from Kerr. Let also not forget another strong season in the net from Brandt Fuhr @Tate, but who was the MVP of the Vancouver Wolves this season?

Spoiler

Nico Pearce @Spartan

72GP 44G – 44A – 88Pts  +13  542SHT 93PIM 187HIT 44SB

While maybe not as dominate as the first time playing for Vancouver when he scored 99pts and almost single-handedly carried the Wolves into the play-off, this time he didn`t need to dominate but rather provide a strong supporting role and pacing the team in goals, tied for points, shots and shot blocked amongst forwards; shows the determination of this player to win this season.

Rookie of the Year:

Spoiler

Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad

This season Vancouver Wolves had a single rookie on the roster but one that played an important role as the third defender in Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad. He started the season inexperienced but expected to carry a huge work load beside to stud defenders in Payne and Bouchard; Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad held his own chipping is 5G – 11A – 16pts but more impress was a +19 showing he more than held his own on the back end this season. Congratulations as it was no easy task.

Little Wolf Award (Most Hits):

Spoiler

Brain Payne @Scurvy 261hits

Throw 52 more hits than runner up again this season in Bouchard as Bouchard only managed 209 a slight increase from his 200 last season.

Sniper Award (Shooting percentage):

Spoiler

Oreo McFleury @JB123 9.62%

A sneak good sophomore season for McFleury as he improved in almost every area of stats with 19 more goals this season and 30 more points. It was close between McFleury and Kerr for this award as Kerr finished at 9.48%

QB Award (PP Assists):

Spoiler

Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple 21A

I think this is the highest amount of assists that I have seen since I started these awards a few season ago. Maple finished 5 assist clear of second place Kerr & Eagles. With Eagles winning this award last season with 16 assist; the same as both he and Kerr would finish runner up with this season.

Tooth Fairy (PIM Award):

Spoiler

Brain Payne @Scurvy 183PIM

As soon as I seen who won the award last season, I started writing the name down. Payne takes the award from Bouchard who finished with the same 126PIM the same as the season before; that claimed the award. Nico Pearce was the next closest at 93PIM.

Always responsible (Plus/Minus):

Spoiler

Brain Payne @Scurvy+22

This surprised me a bit since I guess I didn`t realize how strong of defensive season Payne actually had for the Wolves this season. Even with him winning the Best Defenseman award due to his Plus/minus stats. Second also surprised as it was Rookie of the Year winner Reinhard von Kongming at +19.

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits):

Spoiler

Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad 19 Hits

Wonder if the kid likes the number 19 since he finished the season with plus 19 and 19 hits but sadly only 16pts. Bit surprised that defender claimed this award but shows he was responsible defensively when the other two were running around throwing hits as Payne and Bouchard both lead the team in hits with 261 and 209 respectively. Guess someone had to cover for them other than Fuhr!!

It wasn`t me (Least PM):

Spoiler

Reinhard von Kongming @Kylrad 2PIM

This one didn`t surprise me since he was clearly having to be the responsible defender on this team with once again Payne and Bouchard at the other end of the spectrum means that Reinhard von Kongming had to be responsible.

Shoot the lights out (Most shots):

Spoiler

Nico Pearce @Spartan 542 Shots

When on the team I don`t think anyone else has ever held this trophy so once again it really didn`t come as that much of surprise that he would shoot the lights out again in his final season. He finish 100 shots clear of second and third place of Eagles and Maple.

Work Horse Award (AMG):

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito 2190 (30.42)

Not surprised but surprised by the amount of minutes more played compared to the others with Kongming playing the second most at 2174 (-16mins) and Maple 2150 (-40mins). I would have expected Payne to be top three in minutes but I am guessing the PIM worked against him.  

Common Coach (Least played):

Spoiler

FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist @STZ 1816 (25.23)

Not completely surprised that FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist would be near the bottom again but the fact that he played 373 more minutes and averaged almost 5min more per game is actually a bigger surprise. He will continue to get more ice time I am sure of it, otherwise someone will need to take @Frank to the back ally!!

Bruised and Battered Award (SB Award):

Spoiler

Pierre Emile Bouchard  @Gaikoku-hito 182 SB

This award seems to be owned by this player as this is the third straight season that he has won this award while his SB dipped from first season (198SB) they have increased again slightly this season by 10SB to 182 compared to the 172 SB last season.

Three Star Award: (I will be back as I forgot the data collection for this again)  

Spoiler

Nico Pearce  @Spartan 420pts (6 – 1st Stars, 9 – 2nd Stars & 6 – 3rd Stars)

Once again proves that I picked the right MVP as I aways forget to run these numbers until after everything else is written and I am come to this section but the ranking does show that Fuhr and Kerr played larger roles than even I might have given them credit for but also shows how deep this team is with different player playing contributing roles every night.

1ST Star

2nd Star

3rd star

Total

Nico Pearce

Wann Kerr

Brandt Fuhr

Dogwood Maple

Henry Eagles

Pierre Emile Bouchard

FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist

Oreo McFleury

Brain Payne

Reinhard von Kongming

Final Thoughts:

The start of the season didn`t really get off to the way that we expected but fast forward 72 games and two rounds of the play-off; what a change!! We have a chance to close out a very good season and grab the Cup for the second time in only a few seasons. Either way it has been a great season of growth, understanding and one I don`t think I will forget regardless of the outcome in the finals. Congratulation Wolves on a great season and Good Luck in the Finals!!

Sadly, we also say good Bye to our MVP, Captain at heart in Nico Pearce, who will retire after the finals. It has been a pleasure having you part of this team once again and hopefully we can send you out on top as all players want. You have been a great Wolf and it has been our honor to have you part of our team!!

wolf GIF

@Frank@dogwoodmaple@Spartan @Greg_Di@JB123@VattghernCZ@STZ@Scurvy@Gaikoku-hito@Kylrad@Tate

1767 words (Aug 5th, 12th & 19th)

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Loved being part of this team the first time, very happy to finish my career here on this second stint. As always, love the write-ups by @Gaikoku-hito and honored to have been selected for some of these, especially MVP.

We've got unfinished business though, let's go win a championship!