ToS a forum game run by a rival league to break the spirits of the good people of VHL?

jRuutu

Town of Salem is a game that is played through the forum, you can find Town of Salem from the "Spam and games" - section of VHL if you are curious.  What I am going to talk about this next is not the game itself, but those who participate in the game. I spent who knows how long analyzing the user profiles of those who have signed up for the "ToS2: The Very First" - edition. In total 15 users signed up. Of those 15 users: 20% of users are welfare users, 20% of the users claim affiliate point tasks, and icing on the cake: 13,33% of the users do not have a player in VHL.  The rest have jobs and do point tasks in VHL.

The very first thought that came into my mind when I analyzed the data was: should welfare users be allowed to post in the forums? I am not talking about the "point task" sections, but everywhere else. I think welfare users should have to earn the privilege to post by doing at least one week of point tasks. Then when next week comes by they can post as much as they want to other sections. When they stop doing the point tasks the full posting rights are taken away. The benefit of a system like that is the welfare users get to feel a sense of accomplishment, similar to logging in and pushing a few buttons now, but on another level.  

The second thought that came to mind was: over 50% of the users who play the game have time to play the game, but they don't have the time to do points tasks in VHL.  I started to wonder is it because the product that is VHL is not as exciting as the Town of Salem? In the game you get to interact with other users, which is something you are not able to do - on the same level, in the current state of VHL with Discord General chat being more heavily policed than a beach that is sometimes visited by sharks, the mere sight of a fin is enough to halt all activities for days. Even if there is no shark in the water for sure, the very second you see the army of moderators - do you want to try your luck? Do you want to jump into the water? In the end, the moderators are the real sharks.  When 13% of the users somehow managed to find the game even without having a player in VHL - that speaks volumes about the pull power of the Town of Salem.  

The third thought that came to mind was: should the Town of Salem be banned? It is one thing to get together with friends online and have fun, but do you have to do that in VHL? Some of us are trying to do point tasks over here, it's really hard as is without having to watch and listen to semi-actives frolic around like VHL is someplace where you can just come to hang out to play games. VHL is a serious organization and league with serious policies in place that ensure everybody can get an equal amount of enjoyment out of their VHL experience.  Activities that promote the maximum amount of fun, such as the Town of Salem, are leading people astray as the authentic VHL experience is all about hard work, dedication, and patience. When users participate in games like Town of Salem, they start to associate VHL with fun times with friends, which is not what VHL is all about. For that reason, in my opinion, the Town of Salem should be a game for those who do point tasks in VHL.

We have the same thing happening in SBA - though I think we perhaps have a higher percentage of users with league jobs or that do PTs. Bottom line is you have people logging into the site and having a good time - that itself is a positive thing whether they contribute to the league in any other way or not. I do not, since I am allowed to have my Auto 12 here but I do have a player and do at least the very odd PT here sometimes. 

I also have no issues with people from here playing on SBA without a player there. 

On 9/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, jRuutu said:

What I am going to talk about this next is not the game itself, but those who participate in the game. I spent who knows how long analyzing the user profiles of those who have signed up for the "ToS2: The Very First" - edition. In total 15 users signed up. Of those 15 users: 20% of users are welfare users, 20% of the users claim affiliate point tasks, and icing on the cake: 13,33% of the users do not have a player in VHL.  The rest have jobs and do point tasks in VHL.

I don't really know much about hockey at all but I have a player and (near) max earn here because of the community. Without interactive events like TOS, I probably would be less inclined to contribute PTs or even have a player to begin with 

But either way thanks for writing this enjoy your articles as always 

Edited by jhatty8