Around the League - Draft

Scurvy

The off-season ticks on but this week was a busy week Around the League with a pretty stacked VHL draft, World Juniors, upcoming World Cup, and VHLM dispersal draft is also right around the corner. I wanted to focus on the draft a bit as some teams really cleaned up. 

image.jpeg.edf973a8c4cc61606eecac3d47e7cb8e.jpeg

VHL Draft:

This year’s draft featured a who’s who of established VHL players on re-creates who it was a crap shoot of team needs that would or could be the #1 pick in the draft.  With so many great players to pick from there really wasn’t a miss in the first round.  

It was no surprise when C.G.Y Yannick Janser @Daniel Janser went at the #1 slot to the New York Americans. New York has a young group of forwards so the need for a solid #1 dman was a no brainer to grab the talented 604 dman who had an outstanding season in Saskatoon with 11 g 37a 48pts +27 and 260 hits.    Janser, who comes from solid VHL stock will look to lead this club from the blue line for years to come. 

image.png.5f13838e62da46b64de7685511ceba76.png

Moscow who had the 2,3, and 5th pick totally re-tooled their club I expect them to be formidable for years to come with the core players they selected.  #2- Thor Reingaard @N0HBDY is already at 395 TPE!  The big right winger spent last season in VHLE and didn’t show much on the box scores but was playing up with better talent.  Had he done his first season in VHLM, he would have tore it up.   He will be a beast in years to come.  

#3 spot for Moscow went with another Nordic stud in Leif Reingaard @Zetterberg (defense).  Small in stature but fast as a lightening Leif tore his way through the VHLM leading a stacked San Diego team.  12 g 65 a 77 pts +56!!!!  

And finally, to cap out their first round Moscow selected goalie, Olober Syko @Spartan .  Another San Diego star, Syko had a whopping 11 shutouts last season, a 1.67 GAA, and .920 save percentage.  Those are amazing numbers.  

I think Moscow got an A+ for this draft and for a club used to winning the future is looking bright. 

DRAFT SURPRISE:

I think the biggest surprise in the draft for me was to see LW Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeard fall to the #7 spot to Helskini.  With 55g 70a 125 pts and winning a cup in the M, I thought he would go top 5 for sure.  Either way Helsinki got a steal with the gritty forward. 

2nd/3rd Round Steals?

I always look to the later rounds to see who the steal might be. Having just finished the partial season with him in Miami and losing in game 7 of the finals I pick goaltender, David Slezak @ShawnGladeShawn.  Seattle grabbed a good one here that I think will go far in the VHL.  

In the 3rd round I have to go with monster right winger, Aanarsi Reingaard @Laine.  Another Marlin who lit it up last year and will probably be in the VHLM again this year to develop a bit more.  Added to his 26 goals AR had 144 hits to go along with them.  I think Warsaw picked a hidden gem here. 

Congrats to all the draftees

Waaaaagh, very smart this @Scurvy guy is! Tiny human but massive smarts! Grimgor, da great green menace should have gone Top 3, easy, I could break so many bonez and so many 'eads! I AM REALLY REALLY MAD WAAAAAAGH