Saying Nice Things About Inactive, Formerly Controversial Members

Gustav

What's up VHL. I don't need the TPE; I'm just bored. I thought about a few people last night who may not have been ultra-popular in their time in the VHL, but who were above all else unique personalities who distinguished themselves in their own ways. Whether we'll see anyone named here back in the VHL at some point is anyone's guess, but I'm up for the experience. You don't make this article by just being an asshole--you make it by being yourself to a greater extent than is typical in this community.

• @Peace - someone who stuck to his morals even if it meant that he didn't fit in, Peace always communicated very directly, very seriously, and with perfect punctuation (even on Discord). He led the legendary S69 Saskatoon team to a VHLM championship (sadly, over mine) and was GM of Toronto for a while after that point along with building a Hall of Fame player. And though it's true that there were times when Peace didn't quite go with the pack, I remember times when he opened up about some stuff that made me really respect him as a person. Having last visited the forum in November, I do hope he sees this and feels welcome at some point in the future.
  • @Tate is very well-remembered for a long series of posts speaking out against league moderation, in ways that even I disagreed with most of the time, at a time when I had my own list of issues with it. This had quite a bit to do with something that had gone down a long time before that, and was kept up long past what most members would consider the statute of limitations on "we're cool." But if one thing could be said, it's that Tate had something he believed in and wouldn't let people tell him not to get it out there. I also remember that he was a very good speaker and made podcasts worth listening to--something that's always in short supply. Plus, he respected me and was always willing to have a real conversation after he raised his voice--and you get what you give as far as that's concerned.
  • @BladeMaiden - never one to back down from an argument and never one to be afraid of fighting to get what she wanted, I first knew Blade as the first-ever GM of Philadelphia. At her best, she was one of the league's best members, and many who agreed with this sometimes came out to turn person-versus-person conflicts into all-out wars the likes of which I haven't seen in the VHL in years. In fact, Blade was almost a cult leader--I remember disliking some original Philly players, and them disliking me, for a while despite us having next to nothing to do with each other. There were certainly lots of feelings hurt along the way, but channeled correctly, Blade's energy was tough to match.
  • @Hogan was part of my first VHLM squad and was one of three players in my first draft (and one of two Hall-of-Famers) to win four championships with Seattle in the VHL. For one, I can attest that he was great in the locker room, a legitimately good guy to talk to one-on-one, and was often really entertaining. That said, he quickly made himself disliked (often openly) by being really active on Discord and letting his sense of humor take full control in front of people who didn't always appreciate it. He did sometimes deserve pushback for sure, and crossed his share of lines, but was also publicly criticized, often blocked, had his whole posting history accidentally deleted, and was the target of one of the league's more controversial punishments. Even if he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I actually liked him most of the time--and I think Discord has seen worse things go over better.