Player store pay money to change player country

Honestly I think we could do what a lot of leagues do and have you able to change your eligibility anytime before you play your first international game. Free of charge, but you have to decide before your international career starts.

This was allowed for first-gens prior to their first WJC back in S66 and talked about as if it were still a thing (although I'm unaware of other cases) later on. It still could be a thing that just hasn't come up as an issue in its specific WJC-related context.

I'm for this in cases where there's an actual reason, like the previous "international teams are too crowded and new players aren't getting chances" example or something real-world popping up that makes someone's chosen nation strongly conflict with their values. I agree with this needing to be finalized before the start of international play for that player in all but the most extreme cases of the latter (which I'd imagine would be best solved in private with a message to the blues anyway).

I'm not necessarily a fan of it "just because" and I can see some stupid Greenland-type shenanigans coming out of this. Imagine a VHLM GM telling their players that it would be really fun to get on the same team or something.

10 minutes ago, Gustav said:

I'm not necessarily a fan of it "just because" and I can see some stupid Greenland-type shenanigans coming out of this. Imagine a VHLM GM telling their players that it would be really fun to get on the same team or something.

The nerve of people trying to have fun

20 minutes ago, rory said:

The nerve of people trying to have fun

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough that this is in the context of people trying to cheese things like WJC/WC. I think it would be really stupid if some team won because people decided before the tournament that they'd like to go make a supergroup somewhere when that wasn't something that existed previously.

2 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough that this is in the context of people trying to cheese things like WJC/WC. I think it would be really stupid if some team won because people decided before the tournament that they'd like to go make a supergroup somewhere when that wasn't something that existed previously.

Not trying to start a debate here, but what's the problem with that? 

It could theoretically already be done by a large group of recreates. What's the difference (besides the clerical headache of actually changing all their nationalities)? 

15 minutes ago, dlamb said:

Not trying to start a debate here, but what's the problem with that? 

It could theoretically already be done by a large group of recreates. What's the difference (besides the clerical headache of actually changing all their nationalities)? 

Honestly, there isn't much of a problem but that's because of the actual problem--most people don't care enough about our international tournaments. If those things had more meaning behind them, as they should, then we wouldn't be wondering why it matters if people try to make a joke out of it. 

IMO we should be treating it as if it's taken seriously, because that's what we have the most direct control of. Step 2 is putting in the work to get the community on that page as well.

6 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Honestly, there isn't much of a problem but that's because of the actual problem--most people don't care enough about our international tournaments. If those things had more meaning behind them, as they should, then we wouldn't be wondering why it matters if people try to make a joke out of it. 

IMO we should be treating it as if it's taken seriously, because that's what we have the most direct control of. Step 2 is putting in the work to get the community on that page as well.

I agree with that, 100%. Should international tournaments be mid-season, pausing the regular season schedule? 👀 Doesn't sound like a bad idea to get people paying more attention. 

I feel like most of the tournaments take place in private discord servers, which is like, the absolute worst for visibility. 

1 minute ago, dlamb said:

I agree with that, 100%. Should international tournaments be mid-season, pausing the regular season schedule? 👀 Doesn't sound like a bad idea to get people paying more attention. 

I feel like most of the tournaments take place in private discord servers, which is like, the absolute worst for visibility. 

I do see why it's in the offseason--there's nothing else going on in the offseason--but I see where you're coming from.

Generating interest in the World Cup is very adjacent to a thread that's open in BoG right now, so it's a very good time to come up with ideas on the matter. I'd be happy to repost any serious suggestions there for visibility.

3 minutes ago, dlamb said:

Simmers could get a nice mid-season break too which I think they deserve.

8 minutes ago, dlamb said:

I swear they used to be.. maybe WJC? Maybe I’m just old and lacking sleep lately - idk.. 

1 minute ago, Gustav said:

I do see why it's in the offseason--there's nothing else going on in the offseason--but I see where you're coming from.

Generating interest in the World Cup is very adjacent to a thread that's open in BoG right now, so it's a very good time to come up with ideas on the matter. I'd be happy to repost any serious suggestions there for visibility.

Yeah, it makes sense too, but maybe making it in the off-season makes it feel like it doesn't mean anything? Hell, the lottery tournament could change an entire franchises' fortunes and not a soul sans-rory even looked at it for like 8 seasons. I was actually thinking the other day that we need to change what "triple gold" means in the VHL, because nobody cares about international events, which is really too bad. As far as I know, the international stuff is huge in the SHL, so there's probably some things to learn from there. 

Nonetheless, I'm still on board for a 1-time nationality change pre-International appearance. Even when the WC is made great again. :)

3 hours ago, Gustav said:

The one big thing I personally find hurts international tournaments is the low visibility especially on the portal. Winning a medal doesn't show up on your awards, theirs no easily accessible or obvious way to see past winners, in every other sim league I've seen theirs a team section on the portal, we don't even have official logos for any of the teams in either competition. If your not paying attention the tournament can happen and you'd have no idea. Why should I care about international tournaments when everything is hidden and the league barely acknowledges it even happens afterwards?