Trivia question has the wrong answer, a rant

scoop

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/scoop111/episodes/boo-trivia-e2goa9m

I got a trivia question "wrong" but I actually got it right. Listen to me talk about it. Or don't. I don't care. I get my 3 TPE either way.

@N0HBDY I assume you are in charge of the trivia, since you handed out TPE for questions that were used. I strongly believe that the answer for this question is incorrect.

image.png.0ad7073ee3ef6d043819b2fc1a5468ce.png

@Victor You normally do some great work, buddy, but your GM players spreadsheet ain't it. First of all, "GM players" includes more than just the players who joined a team via the GM rule. But even if that's what we are going to say "GM players" means, your list is still lacking. It doesn't show Sebastian Ironside as being in the Hall of Fame, and it doesn't include Mike Szatkowski Jr., who was a GM player however you define it. There could be more omissions, but I was only focused on the Hall of Famers. It wouldn't be a big deal, but someone submitted a trivia question using this as a source, I assume, so false information is being spread. I don't like that.

Edited by scoop

• scoop changed the title to Trivia question has the wrong answer, a rant

You would be right, someone submitted this question with @Victor’s spreadsheet as the source. I’m only human and cannot recall players before my time in the league that were gm players and hof inductees. If you have a conflicting and concrete source however I’d be more than happy to update the question and reward you tpe. However until then I have to trust victors work and judgement for compiling the sheet as recently as this January.

• Admin

Funnily enough I also need to do a podcast this week because I got a trivia question wrong 😅 

Yeah looks like I missed off Ironside as HOF (I suspect I made the sheet before he was inducted and didn't properly review it when posting) and mixed up Wozniak (not a GM player) with Szatkowski Jr (a GM player).

I'll get that updated and @N0HBDY can then update the question on the portal.

And no, a drafted player who becomes GM is not a GM player, I stand by that definition.

2 hours ago, Victor said:

And mixed up Wozniak (not a GM player)

I wasn't there at the time when Wozniak was assigned to Riga so not sure how it all went down, but would Wozniak fall under the same bracket as a Max Molholt of a GM rule player who had to forfeit a pick to acquire the player as a GM rule player? 

“The S66 Matt Bentz Trophy was shared between two players. One of the winners is Blake Laughton. Who is the other?”

VHL Portal shows one winner: https://vhlportal.com/hof/awards/history/31

This thread that Jacob found for me shows two: 

Don’t know how a first gen is supposed to find this one when I couldn’t even find it (I am not the sharpest though). Someone update portal please! ❤️

Edited by AJW

• Admin
2 hours ago, MubbleFubbles said:

I wasn't there at the time when Wozniak was assigned to Riga so not sure how it all went down, but would Wozniak fall under the same bracket as a Max Molholt of a GM rule player who had to forfeit a pick to acquire the player as a GM rule player? 

Hmm yeah then I suppose Wozniak stays and I just need to add Szat Jr

15 minutes ago, AJW said:

“The S66 Matt Bentz Trophy was shared between two players. One of the winners is Blake Laughton. Who is the other?”

Don’t know how a first gen is supposed to find this one when I couldn’t even find it (I am not the sharpest though). Someone update portal please! ❤️

Lol wtf is that question. Portal will be updated though.

Wasn't a huge fan of the one that tripped me up the other day either. Trivia submissions increasingly seem to be about how to catch people out and less about just asking something semi interesting.

8 hours ago, Victor said:

And no, a drafted player who becomes GM is not a GM player, I stand by that definition.

That would suggest that a drafted player who becomes GM could have then left the team. That wasn't the case. Jukka Hakkinen was a GM player when James was GM of New York, because he had to stay on the team.

11 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

You would be right, someone submitted this question with @Victor’s spreadsheet as the source. I’m only human and cannot recall players before my time in the league that were gm players and hof inductees. If you have a conflicting and concrete source however I’d be more than happy to update the question and reward you tpe. However until then I have to trust victors work and judgement for compiling the sheet as recently as this January.

The TPE I missed is easy enough to get back, I just want the question to be right!

• Admin
1 hour ago, scoop said:

That would suggest that a drafted player who becomes GM could have then left the team. That wasn't the case. Jukka Hakkinen was a GM player when James was GM of New York, because he had to stay on the team.

The idea behind it was for a database of all players who didn't join teams through the draft. You can see how Hakkinen ended up on NY by going to the S18 draft but you can't do that with Glover for example.

23 minutes ago, Victor said:

The idea behind it was for a database of all players who didn't join teams through the draft. You can see how Hakkinen ended up on NY by going to the S18 draft but you can't do that with Glover for example.

Yeah, I understand the intent, but I would just call them draft exempt players.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:33 PM, N0HBDY said:

update the question

I hope I get that question before you update it!!  If not, be sure to put on there, “updated” so I’ll know to select 22 instead of 20!!!!

On 3/7/2024 at 6:52 AM, AJW said:

Yes, that question is terrible lol. I got it by looking up the four players that were options and picking the one that looked like their stats might actually be worth winning the Matt Bentz Trophy. I ended up being right, but obviously with the portal only showing one winner, it's extremely misleading, and guessing from stats who maybe should have won an award is also a terrible way to award TPE for trivia

• 2 weeks later...

@N0HBDY in the interest of anyone who might get this question in the future, I'm curious if the answer has been updated in trivia to reflect the update that Victor had made to the spreadsheet

5 hours ago, scoop said:

@N0HBDY in the interest of anyone who might get this question in the future, I'm curious if the answer has been updated in trivia to reflect the update that Victor had made to the spreadsheet

Yep I believe this was resolved back when you originally brought this up