Player Jersey Retirement - Molly the Cat

giphy.gif

courtesy of the ever incredible @Triller

As the second last franchise to win their first Continental Cup (soon Stars, soon), one can imagine that it has been a tough going for game-breaking talent, and proven winners in this franchise. The team was blessed in the mid-70s with some really great characters, people that really established the culture that would blossom into what the London United stands by today, but it wasn’t until the mid 80s that the club really saw a transition towards continued and recognized competitiveness.

Molly the Cat was drafted 12th overall, quite early for a first-generation player in a stacked recreate class. In the midst of a transition from the first GM in United history to its second, Molly the Cat quickly established themselves as the front-most contender for what the United would look like for the next era. Being named captain of the squad in their rookie season, and carrying that title until they retired, and being the league’s Top Rookie, things looked to be on the up for the United. As the team began to establish its core identity, picking up some other long-standing prospects through the draft, it came time for someone new to take the reins of the team, in an attempt to get them over the final hump.

In S88, I took over the team, at the request of the previous GM and a committee of the top players on the team. I was happy to take the position, knowing what a great group of people I would be hanging out with in my day-to-day. Tough moves had to be made, intense negotiations handled, but when it came down to it, Molly the Cat was ready to lead a rag-tag group to success, like they were every season. Through the ups and the downs, Molly the Cat was there to encourage us, lead us by example, and promote the values that we United hold so dear. A model forum member, an impressive player, and a deserving leader, from the first game to the last.

Although Molly’s career ultimately ended in heartbreak, one goal away from a second championship, the first championship would not have been even dreamed of without the support of the team’s favorite kitty cat.

I’m not sure if anyone has gotten to retire their father’s number before, nor do I think there will be a father so deserving of a retirement from their kid. While I may have gotten to take on the mentor role for this venture, it couldn’t have been done without your relentless persistence, your somewhat approachable demeanor, and some good old fashioned nepotism. To be fair I only re-signed you, so maybe it doesn’t count. Anyways, what better way to cap off an incredible career than with your number hanging (metaphorically) above us always. That Dude already claimed your long-time number 69 (nice), but I hope you can feel almost as honored pretending you wore number 96 instead.

We shall miss your press conferences and your scoring touch, but we wish you nothing but the best as you guide the next generation of kittens to their own first-generation (and recreate, I suppose) success!

@JCarson

Review:  First......WOW!  That is an epic tribute to a generational talent in Molly the Cat.  The article was great, explaining just how important the Cat was to the franchise with historical facts(ie Draft location, captaincy) and even how you came to franchise later on in the Cat's career and just how much of a tribute it was for you to retire this number.  And what makes this even more amazing is the video tribute which I wish I knew how in the hell you did it!!!  I am always drawn to the articles that provide tribute to a player that not only talks about their success but also what they meant to the locker room and players or the VHL as a whole.  Amazing tribute.  10/10 

1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

giphy.gif

courtesy of the ever incredible @Triller

As the second last franchise to win their first Continental Cup (soon Stars, soon), one can imagine that it has been a tough going for game-breaking talent, and proven winners in this franchise. The team was blessed in the mid-70s with some really great characters, people that really established the culture that would blossom into what the London United stands by today, but it wasn’t until the mid 80s that the club really saw a transition towards continued and recognized competitiveness.

Molly the Cat was drafted 12th overall, quite early for a first-generation player in a stacked recreate class. In the midst of a transition from the first GM in United history to its second, Molly the Cat quickly established themselves as the front-most contender for what the United would look like for the next era. Being named captain of the squad in their rookie season, and carrying that title until they retired, and being the league’s Top Rookie, things looked to be on the up for the United. As the team began to establish its core identity, picking up some other long-standing prospects through the draft, it came time for someone new to take the reins of the team, in an attempt to get them over the final hump.

In S88, I took over the team, at the request of the previous GM and a committee of the top players on the team. I was happy to take the position, knowing what a great group of people I would be hanging out with in my day-to-day. Tough moves had to be made, intense negotiations handled, but when it came down to it, Molly the Cat was ready to lead a rag-tag group to success, like they were every season. Through the ups and the downs, Molly the Cat was there to encourage us, lead us by example, and promote the values that we United hold so dear. A model forum member, an impressive player, and a deserving leader, from the first game to the last.

Although Molly’s career ultimately ended in heartbreak, one goal away from a second championship, the first championship would not have been even dreamed of without the support of the team’s favorite kitty cat.

I’m not sure if anyone has gotten to retire their father’s number before, nor do I think there will be a father so deserving of a retirement from their kid. While I may have gotten to take on the mentor role for this venture, it couldn’t have been done without your relentless persistence, your somewhat approachable demeanor, and some good old fashioned nepotism. To be fair I only re-signed you, so maybe it doesn’t count. Anyways, what better way to cap off an incredible career than with your number hanging (metaphorically) above us always. That Dude already claimed your long-time number 69 (nice), but I hope you can feel almost as honored pretending you wore number 96 instead.

We shall miss your press conferences and your scoring touch, but we wish you nothing but the best as you guide the next generation of kittens to their own first-generation (and recreate, I suppose) success!

@JCarson

It is an honor to be recognized by the London United Team in this way.  I could not have done it without the many wonderful teammates that I played with over the years.  Thanks to all of you.

Additionally, my favorite Molly the Cat story:

I was scouting for the draft, and Molly the Cat was one of my targets. I tried to do an interview, only to end up interviewing the son instead of the father. Very humorous mistake looking back on it. :kekw:

11 hours ago, McWolf said:

I take all the credit

I don't think I drafted them though

Nah I was your last 1st rounder as GM iirc, I think Dil drafted Molly, also W retirement