Around the League x2

Scurvy

The next two weeks are super busy for me so trying to do an extra long media spot to count for two weeks.  I am off to Las Vegas for two weeks which is waaaay too long to be in the desert.   So this weeks Around the League will cover a bunch of topics such as Bollos de Trueno potential draft spot, a look in on Rip Wheeler, the race to the playoffs, and maybe other random stuff to get me to 1000 words.

BOLLOS de TRUENO

A quick look in at the upcoming draft shows a pretty deep first round and truly a bunch of  “can’t miss” draft pick for the first 10-15 picks.  Lots of big names and huge earners litter the top spots and a large amount of these picks are defensive players.  What does that mean for Trueno?  Well lets look deeper at BDT.

Without even looking at @Thunder current player in Trueno we have to think his draft stock is high simply because of his history.  His first player, Jake Thunder was the type of defenseman that set the standard for modern era VHLers looking to make a Hall of Fame dman.  

Not knowing what type of build Trueno will be, it seems likely we will be looking at Jake Thunder 2.0 but maybe better since Thunder is passed the learning curve now and knows what to put his TPE into now.  

Currently, Bollos de Trueno plays for Saskatoon and is having a great season.  In 61 games he has 12 goals 39 assists 51 points with 94 hits and 67 SB. 6 of his 12 goals are on the power play and he somehow snagged a shorthanded goal to show he is a threat in any circumstance. 

He currently sits #7 in overall TPE (3rd overall for defenders) for the upcoming draft class that shows 7 defensemen in the top 15. 

So where will he go?  Based on the current standings it looks like LA will have #1 pick with Davos picking #2.  LA’s needs could force them to take a sure pick goalie in Soju @Frank first overall and based on Franks past players could prove to be the smart choice. 

If Davos had the second pick they could go with #2 in overall TPE in Jillian Woods @jacobcarson877who is lighting it up in Ottawa (18-47-65) and another guaranteed winner of a pick.  But could Davos draft Trueno at #2 since his former player was a Davos legend?  Davos has some young forward talent but some needs all around so tough to say, only @AlexAlex knows.  There is some amazing forward talent as well in Maverick Goncalves @leandrofg who skipped the M and is already playing well against better talent in the VHLE.  Maverick is supreme talent and earner, and we can easily see him go #1 in this draft or any previous draft.  If he falls to #2 will Davos pick him up to lead their club in the future?  

Other names like Felicia Hardy @JCarson, Pierre Mac Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito, The Phantom of the VHL @Hogan, Pombo @samx, Lazlo Holmes @Gustav , Maple Dogwood @dogwoodmaple, Erik Thorvaldsson @Tetricide, and Wally Lose @youloser1337 all complicate the matter too since they are all great talent with historically great players.  

My prediction for Bollos de Trueno’s draft spot is #2-#8 spot.  My sincere hope is that he somehow falls to Vancouver’s draft selection so that I may play with my friend in real life. But it’s more likely he ends up somewhere else just based on pure statistics and, in that case, I hope to smash his face on the daily.  

LOL.  Best of luck Trueno, either way I can’t wait for you to get to the VHL and make another Hall of Fame defenseman.  

RIP “Glass jaw” Wheeler

To date, I have recruited four players to the VHL.  Two shit the bed early and were useless. One made the hall of fame (Jake Thunder) and one recruit I like to consider an off and on disappointment in Rip Wheeler.  Now, I know Rip in real life, and we work together. So, we often have conversations about Rip Wheeler @ScottyP and my player, Logan Ninefingers dropping the gloves and going at it.  For example, he told me that he was, “going to make that rookie Ninefingers pay the price in the big leagues,” when my player got to the VHL. 

So recently when the Vancouver Wolves squared off against the Prague Phantoms in game 393 in Prague.   So, in front of his sold-out hometown crowd Rip Wheeler  tried to assault young Vancouver forward, Riley Martin @Smarch. At the 16:44 mark Rip embarrassed himself by challenging the youngster to a fight by slashing him up the ice over and over.  What happened after will be shown on YouTube clips for ages as the rookie Martin served right hand after right hand into Wheeler’s mouth. Wheeler looked like a puppet on strings as Martin showed the veteran forward a little about pugilism on ice. 

To add fuel to the fire poor Wheeler was given a game misconduct for his antics and a guaranteed hearing with league officials over his behavior.   However great the fight win was for Vancouver they ended up losing in a shootout to a goal by Skor McFluery.  

VHL Standings

At the 60-game mark the Toronto Legion are currently the best team in the league with a 43-15-2 record.  Malmo, Seattle, London, New York, Moscow, and Prague are all close and this off-season should be a fun one to watch. 

Seattle and Moscow made the most moves at the deadline to try and improve their clubs and I think both were successful and pose a real threat to other clubs come playoff time.  Warsaw, defending champs DC, and Chicago also have their talents and are looking to wreck their pairings come playoffs.  

The current hot team in the league is Malmo with a 4-game win streak and is in a battle for top spot in the European division with London. It will be an exciting ending to the season to see where these clubs shake out.  

will claim for weeks 04/28 and 05/05

• 2 weeks later...