Ideas that I think could make the VHL a weirder most likely worse place

Berocka

1. Removing the Louth rule and the other side of the Louth rule.

This would allow GMs to play whichever keeper they wanted as many times as they wanted. Now on this first observation of the rule, you think oh why not let everyone do what they want surely that would make the league a better place right? Well there are some scenarios where this would really hurt the players. First of all, you are a backup goalie who has just walked into the VHL, you know you will probably only play 8 games as you are one of the top teams who needs as many wins as possible. Well if there is no Louth rule, you probably don’t even get one start and if you need to play the back up role for 2-3 seasons there is almost 6 months of you not seeing your player do anything. Why would you keep updating and trying to improve if you aren’t even going to start. Also the same thing applies if you are a seasoned vet who has built up your player but your GM decides that they want to tank this season well that Bot goalie is going to see a whole lot more starts than you will that is for sure. There is another reason why this rule is beneficial to the players imagine you are a new goalie in the draft but all teams already have a star goalie no one is going to want to pick you because they don’t need a goalie at the moment and they can use the picks to get better players instead of a bench warmer.

2. Promotion/Relegation between the leagues

This seems like a cool concept in theory where players can help get their teams up from the VHLM into the VHLE and then win the VHL one day, you can see how this works in the English soccer system where you climb the ranks and your little local team could one day play Manchester United to win the Premier League. However this doesn’t really work without a full overhaul of the league rules including the draft and the waiver system. What it will lead to is three pretty set leagues where the same teams play in the same leagues every season and some yo-yo teams that are two good for one division but not good for the one above so they win the lower division, move up then get demolished in the higher divisions so they bounce back down again. 

3. GM Maximum Terms

This sounds like another good idea in theory where your GMs can only be a GM for a maximum of 4 seasons then they need to reapply or get hired again. This however fails when you look at team identity when a GM knows that they can only be a GM for four seasons they need to make sure they go and win in those four seasons so by their last season they will make sure they are stocked up on players and they won’t care what the future looks like. This means when the next GM takes over they will have nothing to work with and we will see the old boom bust style system that the VHLM had for years.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Berocka said:

so by their last season they will make sure they are stocked up on players and they won’t care what the future looks like.

I mean that also applies to anyone who ever took a team over from @Devise

7 hours ago, Berocka said:

This means when the next GM takes over they will have nothing to work with and we will see the old boom bust style system that the VHLM had for years.

I am sure BOOM is very interested in BUST... judging from previous interactions...

Edited by Daniel Janser

18 hours ago, Berocka said:

there is almost 6 months of you not seeing your player do anything.

Gee, I wonder where I've seen that in the VHL's development system before 🫢

As much as I'm against relegation for practical reasons, I also like that it would make our last-place teams actually care about winning. I think term limits for GMs are also a good idea on principle but I don't like that it would probably lead to people burning all future assets in their last season and leaving the next one up with nothing to work with (and probably a nice side of relegation if we had both of those things). 

I do think that (E or not) only getting 8 games as a backup is kind of dumb. As far as I understand it there isn't a way to make fatigue matter between sims  in a way that builds up over time, but I wish there were because it would make GMs really think about how to manage starts and incentivize having a decent backup.

44 minutes ago, Gustav said:

I do think that (E or not) only getting 8 games as a backup is kind of dumb. As far as I understand it there isn't a way to make fatigue matter between sims  in a way that builds up over time, but I wish there were because it would make GMs really think about how to manage starts and incentivize having a decent backup.

Yeah it would be cool but it's also hard to manage as you can't see in-between Sims you don't know how many games your goalie will play that day