CIA’s Early, Probably Wrong S94 Mock Draft

image.jpeg.a0fe4596969017230a458cb3d9c65873.jpeg

CIA’s Early, Probably Wrong S94 Mock Draft

After actually being in the draft last season, you thought I would take a year off? Never! That’s for weaklings, wimps, and people that already have TPE banked in other ways (which to be fair, may very well be me next season). I’m here to tell you exactly what the draft will be.

… or I would, at least, had the draft lottery happened by now like I thought it would. But alas, the draft lottery may not happen until next week, and I need TPE this week. So I’m going to assume here that the VHL will do the same thing as the inferior NHL and have no teams move in its lottery at all. The odds of this happening are extremely slim, so by Simon T logic, it’s a near certainty.

How will this year’s draft shape up? It’s an interesting one, to be certain. There are more recreates than last season, but also fewer (but not none!) first generation players set to make a splash. There are also a few position differences, with more teams in need of defensemen in this draft, but also more blue liners available for selection in kind. I also wouldn’t be shocked by more trades than normal, with a rash of S85 players retiring (especially goalies) meaning we could see some rebuilds start in earnest with some real tear downs.

With all of that said, let’s get into some picks! I don’t really know who is friends with who or any of that jazz, so my predictions tend to be based solely on earning power and team need. All TPE levels are based on when I’m writing this on Thursday, May 9. And as always, if you’re not picked where you think you deserve, it’s because I dislike you personally and you should absolutely take offense.

:la: 1. Los Angeles Stars: LW Maverick Goncalves - 385 TPE, Cologne Express, @leandrofg

What do you get for the team that needs everything? A defenseman like one of the Carson duo would certainly make sense, given the overall dearth of blue liners in the league and the fact that both currently on the Stars will retire this offseason. A goalie might also make sense, since Soju is the only option in the top 20 in this class by TPE and it would guarantee they fill a need. But I’ll say they go best player available with Goncalves. Already playing up a level in the VHLE, Goncalves would provide an offensive star to build around, and potentially a top-level player in terms of talent and growth for seasons to come. A lot of good options here, but nothing wrong with going with the safe one.

:dav: 2. HC Davos Dynamo: D Jillian Woods - 379 TPE, Ottawa Lynx, @jacobcarson877

The Dynamo began their rebuild in earnest last offseason, taking forwards Forum Content and Antonia Bucatini as well as goalie Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen in the first round. What hole does that leave on the ice? Why, a talented young defensive star of course! Sticking neck and neck with Goncalves in terms of TPE, Woods will be a candidate for the top pick in the draft depending on the team, including the Stars or the Dynamo themselves if the lottery falls that way. But even if Woods falls to number two, I wouldn’t imagine that she would fall much further due to her growth potential and the fact that just about every team could use another strong young player on defense.

:rig: 3. Riga Reign: D Felicia Hardy - 343 TPE, Saskatoon Wild, @JCarson

The Reign are in a very interesting position. First of all, they haven’t yet announced their first new general manager in more than 40 seasons, a position that would seemingly be important entering a draft. Second, a lot of their players are in the prime of their careers, but as evidenced by the fact they’re picking third in the draft, those prime players may not be the answer for the team. Third, while many teams are looking to upgrade at goalie and defense, goalie Red Panda may be the star of the team, and Riga took Lucy Leitner on defense with the third pick last season. Still, when all else fails, I don’t think best player available is a bad option. Hardy would pair with Leitner on what would become in the league’s strongest defensive pairing in a few season’s time, and Hardy provides a consistent player for a Reign team that may enter a rebuild if the new GM so wishes. Plus, as we’re about to explore, there are better landing spots for a few of the forwards available.

:que: 4. Vancouver Wolves: C Pierre Marc Bouchard - 332 TPE, Halifax 21st, @Gaikoku-hito

Honestly, I think this pick might be more of a lock than either the first or second pick. Bouchard’s agency lives and breathes Wolves hockey, Bouchard is the best player available and fourth overall on the practice hours board, and they are a consistent earner and talented player. From the Wolves standpoint, the team also has a whole host of wings from the past couple of drafts, but the only center on the roster is S89 player Mikko Borisyuk. This combination simply makes too much sense, and I’d be fairly surprised if they go a different direction.

:que: 5. Vancouver Wolves (from Calgary): G Soju - 284 TPE, Philadelphia Reapers, @Frank

Now this is where I’m going to start to get a bit spicy. The obvious pick here would be another forward, particularly with Left Alone set to retire after next season. A defenseman could also make sense, given that Liv Slater will be starting to show their age soon. And goalie Dalkr Vidarsson is on pace to be a future star. But with that said… if the Wolves could grab both their GM and AGM during this draft, could they avoid pulling the trigger? And especially given a potentially frothy trade market for goalies, where Vidarsson would fetch a major haul from a team like London or even D.C. looking to extend their window? I’ll go off the board here and say the Wolves steal a goalie from a number of other potential suitors.

:hel: 6. Helsinki Titans: LW Pombo - 317 TPE, Las Vegas Aces, @samx

Make it yet another team taking a GM player with their first round pick. Pombo is best player available at this point though, and I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if they go as high as #3 to Riga, depending on the new GM. In this breakdown though, Pombo steps in as the Titans prepare to potentially reload more than rebuild, given the young talent on their team like Adi Dassler and YaBoi Oven. Especially with some rebuilds coming in the European Conference, if the Titans are able to upgrade at goalie they could certainly come back to be a playoff team once again, even after last year’s trades.

:chi:  7. Chicago Phoenix: D Bollos de Trueno - 301 TPE, Saskatoon Wild, @Thunder

After jumping up to a wild card bid this season, the Phoenix are a team that are looking to win sooner rather than later. Ryan Artyomov may be one of the league’s best goalies next season following retirements and regression, Joshua Schwarzer is prepped to take the leap to be a star, and I wouldn’t sleep on last year’s fifth overall pick UghSike as a Rookie of the Year candidate next year. But even after drafting Lionel Collberg and Karol Lamb in the first round in recent years, there is still a place for a potential star defensive player to round out the roster. While de Trueno wouldn’t make an impact on next year’s team, they would arrive like a thunderbolt the following season in front of Artyomov on what should still be a team looking to contend for the next couple seasons.

:mos: 8. Moscow Menace (from Warsaw): D Lazlo Holmes - 286 TPE, Saskatoon Wild, @Gustav

When the Menace faced off against the Predators in the European Wild Card round, it turns out they would have gotten the eighth pick either way - they have both firsts. And with Warsaw’s selection coming first, it makes sense to me to take the best defensive player on the board in Holmes. From a talented and consistent agency, Holmes provides additional some protection against upcoming regression for Kronchy Kardashian and Nils Andersson, as well as potential upcoming free agency from Leif Reingaard, alongside last year’s first round pick Benjamin Abenduct. Plus, Moscow has so much young talent at forward that a player like The Phantom of the VHL or Maple Dogwood might struggle to find playing time on this roster without some major trades occurring.

:nya:  9. New York Americans: C The Phantom of the VHL - 312 TPE, Ottawa Lynx, @Hogan

The New York Americans are another team ready to win now, and particularly in the forward core it’s getting to be now or never. Every single forward from this past season’s team was S88 or older, and two of those players (Alfred Champagne and Vinny Lecavalier) are set to retire. And while the Americans do have two forwards in Wayne Gretzky and Chris Reynolds Jr. set to provide reinforcement from the VHLE, there’s room for even more youth in the forward corps. The Phantom dropped a bit down the board due to team need, but the Americans would be a great landing spot to perhaps play immediately and find a role on a winning team.

:prg:  10. Prague Phantoms: D Erik Thorvaldsson - 273 TPE, Mississauga Hounds, @Tetricide

It’s a draft full of GM players going to their teams! While Thorvaldsson isn’t quite the best player available here by practice hours (though very close), I’d be rather surprised if Prague passes on Thorvaldsson if they’re available. In this space last season, I said it’d be one more go until a rebuild for Prague, and now we’re here. Being able to snag a GM player provides a bit of stability for both a rebuilding team and a new front office, and a defensive star provides a bit of security to last year’s first round pick, goalie Ondrej Vencko, as well. A slam dunk selection if available.

:tor: 11. Toronto Legion: RW Maple Dogwood - 275 TPE, Halifax 21st, @dogwoodmaple

For years since being drafted first and third in the S87 Draft, Mac Atlas and Jimi Jaks have been the stars of Toronto’s dreams. But all dreams must end sometime, and indeed, both Atlas and Jaks enter this offseason facing some rough depreciation and only two seasons left in the league. The Legion focused last draft on defense with a great selection in Gul Dukat, but this time, an infusion of youth into the forward corps is well needed. Dogwood is not only best player available, but they also some real top-end talent upside that is rare to find with the 11th overall pick.

:la:12. Los Angeles Stars (from Malmo): D Andrew Skilton - 248 TPE, Halifax 21st, @ace_five_

One of these picks, some team is going to take a chance on a first generation player. I think it happens here. Skilton has been extremely impressive since coming into the league last offseason, chasing down multiple notable recreated players on the practice hours charts with ease. They developed well under the watchful eye of Halifax, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Skilton ends up shooting into the top 10 when all is said and done. Here at the 12th pick, Skilton would be the stone that L.A. would rebuild their defense around and pair with the first overall pick Goncalves to really get the Stars rebuild going in earnest.

:hel: 13. Helsinki Titans (from D.C.): LW Wally Lose - 256 TPE, Ottawa Lynx, @youloser1337

The Titans would normally be another team that I’d expect to look at a first generation player. However, with last year’s first round pick Tyler Lawson having not shown up to practice for a few weeks, I’m wondering if they go with a more high-ceiling recreate, particularly at forward to pair with Pombo in the future. That almost perfectly describes Lose, whose agency has had plenty of success with past players in the VHL. While Lose’s practice hours do trail behind some peers that also entered the VHLM as the S92 Trade Deadline, as a consistent force, Lose would be sure to have a spot in Helsinki for seasons to come.

:mos: 14. Moscow Menace: RW Matteo Stefano - 208 TPE, Mississauga Hounds, @mmrs617

With two first round picks, the Menace can afford to take a few big swings. This is one that I think would connect. Despite only joining Mississauga about halfway through the VHLM season, the first generation player Stefano has already secured his promotion to the VHLE next season through maximum practice, an impressive record for a newcomer. As a passing-focused player, Stefano would also provide a bit of playmaking in a Menace forward corps that has a lot of scoring-focused players. Moscow is perhaps one of the best homes to develop new players, and the two would be a great match here. Similar to Skilton, don’t be shocked if a team falls in love with Stefano in the back half of the top ten.

:rig: 15. Riga Reign (from Seattle): C Johnny Tsunami - 234 TPE, Houston Bulls, @Vice

After so many Houston Bulls taken in the first round of last year’s draft, it’s a bit surprising to see the first one fall all the way to pick 15 in this mock. But the Reign wouldn’t mind, picking up a talented forward in Tsunami. Although a recreate, Tsunami didn’t actually join the Bulls until partway into the season, resulting in just 54 games played. During that time, however, Tsunami has been very consistent in showing up to practice and provides a lot of top-end upside to a Riga team in need of exactly that. No matter who the new GM is, they should be able to find a place for this type of center.

:ldn:  16. London United: LW Eugene Ryanheart - 195 TPE, Las Vegas Aces, @jesse115

What I said about Prague last season applies to London this season - it’s probably one more year, then it’s rebuild time. And that rebuild may come even sooner if London doesn’t find a replacement for future Hall of Famer Jesse Teno in goal. That means London can really go any direction with this pick, because it’s expected that the player will be a part of the next generation of London rather than this one. So, why not go for a quick riser? After going just 50th in last season’s VHLM Draft due to some early welfare earning, Ryanheart has consistently put in the practice work in recent weeks, including even a Biography from his agency just this very week. That has gotten GMs’ attention in the top part of second round, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he even sneaks into the first with another week or two of strong practice before the draft.

If you weren’t mentioned here, remember: There’s still a lot to shake out! Make sure to chat with GMs as they reach out, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some second or third round picks in this draft become stars. Best of luck to all draftees, and happy drafting!

1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I'd like to thank Seattle for making my draft order wrong within 10 minutes of this being posted. Glad to live up to the title.

Should I also mention that #6 Helsinki Titans pick might actually move to Moscow Menace as part of the conditions for the Ironhide trade last season. As Moscow is currently over the cap if they try to re-sign everyone that is a UFA.

I’m kinda mindblown that some people are almost 100 ahead of me. Granted, I could make up a bit of that by doing the career tasks I haven’t done yet (and I’m broke so I haven’t donated in a bit either). But I swear I’m earning the same as always and I’ll have to make sure there’s no hidden secret I’m missing. 

It’s really interesting because I have no clue where I’m going to end up. I think I have a track record that could back up a reach, but others also have the TPE where being a mid-even later 1st is completely reasonable. 

Free Gustav hug for anyone who drafts me 👁️

11 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Should I also mention that #6 Helsinki Titans pick might actually move to Moscow Menace as part of the conditions for the Ironhide trade last season. As Moscow is currently over the cap if they try to re-sign everyone that is a UFA.

👀

• 2 weeks later...