My Time in Houston - Theme Week

AJW

This is my 9th season behind the Houston Bulls Management. 9 seasons totals to 18 months in real time, that's a year and a half. I've had this team under my control for a long time, I've learned a lot, I've helped a lot, and now I am ready (again) to move on. The Houston Bulls will have to find a new manager next season as I have finally met my finish line with the VHLM. The cat's out of the bag, I told VHLM commish team already and my thoughts don't seem to want to change. I love the VHLM, it has been my home the entire time I have been in the VHL. I've held other jobs with VSN, Recruitment Team, Off-Season fun, AGMing, and now Fantasy Zone... GMing in the VHLM is a special treat. But, I am ready for more that this forum offers. Fantasy Zone has been so much fun and I want to continue doing it! VHLM GMing doesn't show me a spark anymore. S92 was a dream season, S93 helped me lock in and really show me what talent I have, S94 has shown me that I am fucking awesome at this job. In 3 seasons since taking over Houston again, here's some thoughts:

---

S92

Took an empty team with no one on my roster and headed to the draft. From there I managed to create a 12-6-2 lineup by playoffs with a lot of help from the Recruitment ad. 7 Houston Bulls players were drafted in the first round of the S93 VHL draft. Out of the 7 drafted to the VHL, only Chris Reynolds Jr (11oa) @Crstats23 was drafted in the VHLM by Houston. Antonia Bucatini (1oa) @CowboyinAmerica was traded from Halifax, and then Lucy Leitner (3oa) @LucyXpher, Ondrej Vencko (8oa) @Mutti, Benjamin Abenduct (9oa) @Schnee, Nathan Ecker (10oa) @Nathan_8, and Tyler Lawson (14oa) @Nyx were all first gen waiver players! This was the most exciting season I have ever experienced in any simulation league, maybe any league for that matter. These Bulls managed to take this team to the 2nd round of the playoffs! I won GMoty as well! I do just want to mention that this team really felt like a family. Everyone had each other's backs and wanted the best for the team, this was a GM's dream.

S93

The waiver dream is over, it's back to the grindstone. This time with only our all-star goaltender Herald Benson @Benson returning to the lineup, I was able to create a 10-5-1 lineup by playoffs. This team was so much fun too. I was able to draft Filip Zinek @FiZi back to the team to be our captain, it was a lot of fun getting to know them throughout S92. I met my new AGM this season as well, Johnny Tsunami @Vice decided to take a stroll to Houston and found himself a job shortly after. I made big trades with Miami and San Diego to really give us that fighting chance in playoffs. I had another stud waiver sign, Samsayz I-Smell @CaptainSB, who is thriving in Mexico now this season and is best character to meet, really nice guy. Cole Stermer @Bazeus moved to Mexico as well, he was my 6th round pick in the S93 draft, and I was unsure about him. He is now approaching the 200 TPE cap and is ready for the VHLE soon, shoutout to @JCarson for taking him on and keeping him at high gear. I obviously as well can not leave out @der meister, Konstyantyn Shevchenko was another massive waiver signing, an extremely elite forum only user that I was thrilled to get to know better. This team like the last made it to the 2nd round of playoffs! The S93 Bulls really showed me that if you put in the effort to make the right moves, you can create a good team.

S94

This season has been tricky, for most other teams. After finishing the S94 VHLM draft I had a team of forwards. Before Houston's 17th overall pick mostly all the defenders were gone! Lightning McSnipe @Langostine, Alex Ovechkin IIII @Bruh, and David VanHousen @David VanHousen were all drafted to the team this season and have all been monsters since joining the team. I am really excited for their run next season, I'll be cheering hard from the sidelines. Someone who also should be returning is our starting goaltender! Zaps Cat @scudmuffin19 has been hard at work to be as consistent as he can be. 100 TPE already this season + a First Gen Bonus on the way! We had the pleasure of signing many waivers and Free Agents to fill out our roster as well. Tommy James Longpre @TJ Longpre is back and playing on the point for us, @Cuffy is back and becoming elite, and Yuki Ishikawa @LilacTwilight also wanted to join the fun! We had a full line of underdeveloped but extremely high potential forwards join from waivers as well to fill out our 3rd line! Our captain David Pastanap @Jubis also joined off waivers this season and has been really recently in control of our offence. Currently the Bulls have a 10-2-1 roster, and with rumors of an ad dropping, I think we might just have to go for a little playoff push for my last season in charge.

---

Three unbelievable seasons. It was so nice to be able to come back to Houston fresh after being there 6 seasons in the past. I'm taking the credit right now, but all credit is due to these players and the countless others I didn't mention. Even before my return to Houston, I am so thankful for the friendships I was able to make here and the people who helped grow this organization. Houston was not Houston before we all got there! @Triller @Subject056 I am still waiting to be adopted btw. This job means a lot to me and a part of me is sad to let go, but the bigger part of me knows that I just don't have the juice anymore for the VHLM. I am so ready to hold a bigger role in this league. Fantasy Zone is amazing, I can see myself being a commissioner one day. That day might come, but until then thank you Houston for another fun ride.

Final words :) 

Houston is ready for the future. A LOT of players will be returning next season and I still have four picks in the top 4 rounds for the next mad lad who takes over. (Edit: already made a trade lol) Good luck to whoever you are, I hope I was able to set you up properly. At the end of the day I wasn't able to get Houston a cup, maybe I can this season? Maybe the next GM can finish what I have started. Besides that, Houston hasn't dropped a player to Inactivity in over two seasons, so that's a trophy I will hold closer to my chest.

Edited by AJW

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

But seriously, AJ, you're a huge reason why I'm on this forum and having such a great time with this league.  If it wasn't for you, I probably still wouldn't have joined the Bulls Discord and I'd probably have missed out on all the fun of that S92 team. My GM of the Year forever!  I'm sad that you won't still be in Houston, but after 9? seasons I think it's totally fair to say you're ready for the next thing-- and I really hope you find it!  You're an incredible GM, someone who really keeps things fun and lively around the team, and I'd love to see you make a move up to the VHL.  I think you'd do amazing things there like you did in Houston!  So thanks for everything and best of luck with whatever comes next!  

Don't worry, you can come over for tea in Halifax anytime you want, I found where Dyl keeps his stash...

14 minutes ago, AJW said:

@Triller @Subject056 I am still waiting to be adopted btw.

The paperwork is insane to adopt another adult!  We are diligently working at it but the system tries to hold us down at every turn!

I am excited to see what you do next and what you end up doing next should be obvious to anyone in this league!  I am rooting for you and am excited to join you in a LR at some point in the future!

9 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

But seriously, AJ, you're a huge reason why I'm on this forum and having such a great time with this league.  If it wasn't for you, I probably still wouldn't have joined the Bulls Discord and I'd probably have missed out on all the fun of that S92 team. My GM of the Year forever!  I'm sad that you won't still be in Houston, but after 9? seasons I think it's totally fair to say you're ready for the next thing-- and I really hope you find it!  You're an incredible GM, someone who really keeps things fun and lively around the team, and I'd love to see you make a move up to the VHL.  I think you'd do amazing things there like you did in Houston!  So thanks for everything and best of luck with whatever comes next!  

Don't worry, you can come over for tea in Halifax anytime you want, I found where Dyl keeps his stash...

Thank you ❤️ you are amazing Lucy, you played a massive role in shaping the S92 Bulls into what we became. YOU are also a massive reason why users stick around and want in on this fun. Halifax has never been this lively since I’ve been in office. No discredit to past GMs, but you bring a massive light to that team. So happy to see the way you’re thriving in this league! And I will 1000% steal anything from Dyl, Tea works for me!

12 minutes ago, Triller said:

The paperwork is insane to adopt another adult!  We are diligently working at it but the system tries to hold us down at every turn!

I am excited to see what you do next and what you end up doing next should be obvious to anyone in this league!  I am rooting for you and am excited to join you in a LR at some point in the future!

Yayayayaya… sign the paper old man!! I can babysit and eat all the food in your cabinets. Thank you for the kind words brother :) I’m sure we’ll find a job together again very soon too

You'll always be the head of the herd my man! I'm grateful you took me on and I'm glad I got to learn from you while I could! Here's hoping for your future!

12 minutes ago, dylanjj37 said:

if you can get all lucys shoes for me i will let you steal as much stuff as you want

NOOOO! Anything but my shoes! I just got them back! 😢

1 hour ago, Vice said:

You'll always be the head of the herd my man! I'm grateful you took me on and I'm glad I got to learn from you while I could! Here's hoping for your future!

You’re still my slave for the end of the season so don’t think you’re getting off easy 

10 minutes ago, Crstats23 said:

Saluting Season 18 GIF by America's Got TalentSeriously all love AJ we’ve known each other a long time and S92 Houston will probably always be family, can’t wait to see what you end up doing next 

We NEED our players to land on the same team sometime, I’m tired of GMing you 🤣❤️

22 minutes ago, AJW said:

You’re still my slave for the end of the season so don’t think you’re getting off easy 

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, dylanjj37 said:

will you withdraw from the process in exchange for shoe safety?

I’d rather have you than all my shoes…

The Goldbergs Applause GIF by ABC Network

Looking forward to seeing what you do next here @AJW! You've killed it as a VHLM GM, did a damn fine job when we were on the recruitment team together and when @Trillerand I adopt you, we know you will accomplish even greater things 😂

Can't wait to see where your VHL journey takes you, the league is lucky to have you!

Edited by Subject056

On 6/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, LucyXpher said:

Just remember I helped raise him!!

Fathers Day Comedy GIF by Paramount+